Cry Havoc - Simon Mann

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Cry Havoc - Simon Mann

Postby dtietens » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:47 am

I have just finished "Cry Havoc" by Simon Mann. He is the one from the failed coup attempt in Equatorial Guinea (EG). He was arrested red-handed in Zimbabwe in 2004 and extradited to EG in 2008. It tells the story of his rise as a mercenary, his arrest and finally his pardon by the EG president. The book is an eye opener and an account of what happened. Actually quite a nice read. But you have to forgive Mann's writing style! He is obvious not a Wilbur Smith. But Mr. Smith could actually borrow some ideas from him for his new book with Sean Courtney, Jr playing the lead role.

The thing that annoyed me though was the frequent use of abbreviations. It was only at the end of the (kindle) book that I encountered the glossary. And then I have the impression that Mann became soft. Or maybe his spirit is still suffering by his ordeal in Zimbabwe’s Chikurubi Prison. Or he left his wild years behind. He goes to pains of portraying himself as a liberator having noble thoughts and helping humanity. Which is contrary to being a mercenary. Or am I wrong?
dtietens

Currently Reading: Karin Brynard, Onse vaders

Re: Cry Havoc - Simon Mann

Postby masvingo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:18 pm

What a great title!

It is of course playing on the title of Frederick Forsyth's book "The dogs of War". Forsyth's novel is about an atempted Coup on the fictional African Republic of Zangaro, but is widely understood to be based on Equatorial Guinea.

The titles of the two books come from a quote in William Shakespeare's Julius Ceasar. The full quote being
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war.

Masvingo.
masvingo

Return to Other Authors