DANIEL SILVA

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

DANIEL SILVA

Postby bayside » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:01 pm

My highest recommendation goes out to all of you to explore the writings of Daniel Silva. My wife is finishing his latest book, "The Fallen Angel" and I'm chompin' at the bit waiting for her to finish. This is his 15th book, the earliest dating back to the mid-90's. They are of the spy/mystery genre, covering mostly Europe and the Middle-East -- very, very relevant to the politica/religious situation that is unfolding today. His first two books were about an American CIA agent, both extremely well done. On his third novel he switches to an Israili spy/assassain and carries him through the next 13 books as he ages and tries to put his past behind him. These last books are almost too heavily weighted toward the Israeli position to have mass appeal, but then again, a writer has to please his publishers or fall by the wayside. Even so, I would recommend you give him a whirl. They are all out in E-Book form, which should please John and Tedd.

What captured me right off the bat was Silva's masterful usage of the "simile", a much underrated grammatical technique seldom used in modern fiction. All in all, I would class Silva as a true wordsmith. His characters, descriptions, knowledge of locales and world events as they are unfolding today are without comparison. Here's an example: "When I first met him and looked into the depths of those black eyes, it was as if he were trying to decide whether to stick a knife in my heart, or slit my throat."

If you will start out with "The Unlikely Spy", you will be reminded of Graham Greene's works -- and also of his use of the simile will remind readers of Greene's style.
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Re: DANIEL SILVA

Postby chookie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:18 pm

I have read all his books and have enjoyed everyone of them.

I cant wait for his next book to be published.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby Matbow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:25 pm

chookie wrote:I have read all his books and have enjoyed everyone of them.

I cant wait for his next book to be published.

x2
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby chookie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:55 pm

bayside wrote:My highest recommendation goes out to all of you to explore the writings of Daniel Silva. My wife is finishing his latest book, "The Fallen Angel" and I'm chompin' at the bit waiting for her to finish. This is his 15th book, the earliest dating back to the mid-90's. They are of the spy/mystery genre, covering mostly Europe and the Middle-East -- very, very relevant to the politica/religious situation that is unfolding today. His first two books were about an American CIA agent, both extremely well done. On his third novel he switches to an Israili spy/assassain and carries him through the next 13 books as he ages and tries to put his past behind him. These last books are almost too heavily weighted toward the Israeli position to have mass appeal, but then again, a writer has to please his publishers or fall by the wayside. Even so, I would recommend you give him a whirl. They are all out in E-Book form, which should please John and Tedd.

What captured me right off the bat was Silva's masterful usage of the "simile", a much underrated grammatical technique seldom used in modern fiction. All in all, I would class Silva as a true wordsmith. His characters, descriptions, knowledge of locales and world events as they are unfolding today are without comparison. Here's an example: "When I first met him and looked into the depths of those black eyes, it was as if he were trying to decide whether to stick a knife in my heart, or slit my throat."

If you will start out with "The Unlikely Spy", you will be reminded of Graham Greene's works -- and also of his use of the simile will remind readers of Greene's style.

I have read his latest book you wont be dissapointed in it.
Plus I wont spoil it for you.
Enjoy the read. 8) 8) :D :D
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Return to Other Authors