The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling

Postby Nefer » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:36 pm

I just finished reading the book this weekend. Picked it up a while ago at Chapters; and I've been terrified of reading it in case I hated it, and by extension, Jo herself.

Without spoiling anything, I can honestly say that she is as good a writer as ever! The book really surprised me with its content and I had no idea where she was going with the plot at first. I was really frustrated that I couldn't see the thread of the story, but about a third of the way through the book I decided to just slog on and I was rewarded :) The characters are so well drawn that they stayed with me long after I put the book down. I think my frustrations stemmed from what was happening to the characters, I felt so much that I wanted things to go a certain way for them and when it didn't pan out I got all frustrated.

I must say that if anyone other than JKR had written this book I would have never picked it up because it's not my style; which may be why it took me a while to get into it.

Overall I'd recommend it.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to Other Authors