His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman

Postby Matbow » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:31 pm

Any one read them? I did a couple of years ago now and thought they were good. A little slow (especially the first one) but great none the less!

Any thoughts?
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Monsoon » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:02 pm

Fantasy is back as my main read these days, but i have not tried Pullman, i think i heard that this series was aimed at a slightly younger generation.
I am currently searching for the harshest and darkest fantasy i can find, but nothing is quite getting there. Although i have discovered a fantasy writer who is the closest thing in any genre i've read to Wilbur Smith, but in his own way of course.
I feel a new thread coming on soon!
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:20 pm

i think i heard that this series was aimed at a slightly younger generation.

Yeah they are - but i wouldn't let that put you off. Apparently they are a modern day take on John Miltons Paradise lost, but I can't comment on that as I haven't read it! They're not particularly "dark" but they are definately fantasy!
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby michaelsmum » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:23 pm

If you're looking for Fantasy try Stephen King's Dark Tower series. they are really absorbing and while a little strange, you just want to get to the end and find out what the h*ll the dark Tower is!!!
michaelsmum

Postby Matbow » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:32 pm

OK,

I've eventually convinced one of my friends to start this trilogy! He's an massive fantasy fan (he's actually written his own novel) and I'm pleased to say he's completely hooked on the series!

So...now I have the confidence that these book are actually THAT good I'm gonna start promoting them a bit here! If you like sci-fi or fantasy in the slightest then you really should give these novels a try!

The books in the series are:

1) Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass)
2) The Subtle Knife
3) The Amber Spyglass

The series follows the adventures of Lyra and her daemon in an alternate reality, where everything is the same, but different. It's a cliche, but true! There's a lot more too it than just normal daily life - armoured snow bears, rebel angels, transportation windows, critiques on religion and a war with god. Crazy? Yes! But in a good way! If any of that sounds familiar then you've probably read "Paradise Lost" - the series is a modern day adapation on John Miltons classic.

As Monsoon pointed out, these books are aimed at the "Young Adult" market but I wouldn't let that put you off. In fact, "The Amber Spyglass" won the Whitbread Book of the Year Award - the first time in the history of that prize that it was given to a children's book.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 776393.stm

And to top it all off the trilogy is being made into a film by New Line Cinema (Lord of the Rings)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 133846.stm

Apologies if this sounds like a sales spiel...I'm not on commission, I just wanted everybody to be informed!

Matt

ETA: If you would like to read one of the most eloquent reviews I have ever read click here. (its the fifth review down) But if you do intend to read this series please please please don't read the second paragraph of this review - it gives away a major spoiler!
Last edited by Matbow on Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:43 pm

I'll have to let my lil' bro know, he's been bugging me for something new to read but he won't read WS!

& If PJ is making the movies I'd better read the books asap :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:52 pm

No it's not PJ...I think he would of been a good choice tho! I don't reckon he's short of jobs these days!

Oh and I should also add "The Northern Lights" was called "The Golden Compass" outside of the UK.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby michaelsmum » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:20 am

Thanks matt - I was tempted before but the "childrens books" thing put me off. I've just started the Warlock trilogy but I'll givethose a go next!!

If we're talking young adult, now, cannot praise Harry Potter highly enough!!
My mother always used to tell me, "go with the flow". I HATED it and now I tell it to my kids!!!
michaelsmum

Postby Monsoon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:10 am

I've just started the Warlock trilogy

I love the way you have titled that michaelsmum, pure class! I think we should continue to use that for the said trilogy from now on. :)
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby michaelsmum » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:24 am

I only said that because I couldn't think how to spell Pharoah and didn't want to look dumb!!
My mother always used to tell me, "go with the flow". I HATED it and now I tell it to my kids!!!
michaelsmum

Postby Monsoon » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:51 am

Nobody looks dumb in our eyes, especially those forum members who don't have English as their first language, its simply great to have them here.
The more the merrier i say. :)

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:00 pm

I don't think I've ever spelt Pharoah right... if you see what I mean :D

And it's nice to see you back, michaelsmum :) It would be nice to see what you think of them... Despite being the resident RG fanatic, I still haven't written a review yet... Jus' lazy I guess :roll: :lol:
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Re: His Dark Materials - Phillip Pullman

Postby Matbow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:57 am

Ok, well I'm going to bump this topic as the first movie (The Golden Compass) is being released next month.

Trailer:

I'm looking forward to seeing it, although I'm not sure if it'll do the book justice...

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Return to Other Authors