Favourite book (other than WS)?

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Postby Bee » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:04 pm

See I think of studying it for half the year put me off the book. I couldn't stand it near the end. It was okay, but yeah I don't remember much of it but I do think your interpretations of it are reminding me of some of the things we discussed in class.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:30 pm

I suppose studying the same book for 6 months would put most people off. Can't think of any book i'd want to study for that length of time, not even a Wilbur book. Although i'd like to write an essay on A time to die maybe because it's one of the best books ever! :)
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Nefer » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:36 pm

We actually studied "Cry the Beloved Country" by Alan Paton. Which sounds scary and tough, but my teacher was quite good and got us through.

I enjoyed it, but don't own a copy.

As for reading WS in class, it could happen! I know some teachers in the states get their classes to read "Clan of the Cave Bear" by Jean Auel. I know this because members of that forum (ecfans.com) are teachers, and some are kids reading the book and looking for help on their book reports!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:12 pm

The thought of studying WS in class seems great to me now, but when i was actually in school, i wasn't into him at all. In fact i never read any books until recently, and thats all thanks to the main man himself who decided to stop working in tax or whatever it was and became a writer! Where would the world of fiction and all of us be now if there was no Wilbur. We'd be stuck with Dan Brown and Clive Cussler. Such a huge void has been filled.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby WSI » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:00 am

my favorite authors besides WS are Stefan Zweig (not so well-known outside Europe, I'. afraid) - especially "Joseph Fouché" and other biographies he wrote - and Tad Williams (this one u know), the Otherland series as well as the Dragonbone Chair series and the stand alones.
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:00 pm

I read the Otherland series!

I really powered through the series when I read them... I think it was 2 years ago.

Brilliant idea, but I thought they were too long with waay too much information at some parts.

The end, when it came, was a strange and pleasant surprise :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby WSI » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:09 pm

neferk wrote:I read the Otherland series!
Brilliant idea, but I thought they were too long with waay too much information at some parts.

You're right. some parts are too long and don't have a lot to do with the very plot. But I enjoyed the series and read it in about one month, Williams is very, very good - and even better in english
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby aaron » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:17 pm

Just finished "The Holy Blood and The Holy Grail" I can only say this book has to be one of the most interesting books I have read, one word describes it 'profound'.
aaron

Postby Betty » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:31 am

Other than Wilbur Smith I like Jean Auel, Stephen King, James Herbert, Patricia Cornwell, Dean Krontz, Tom Clancy(some), Jeffrey Deaver and many more. I used to like romantic novels years ago and will occasionally read a Georgette Heyer but I find them a bit boring now. Maybe I've grown up at last!!
Betty

Favourite book (other than WS)?

Postby wadeburgess » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:37 pm

I've got a few:

THE BOOK OF MORMON translated by Joseph Smith
NADA THE LILY by H. Rider Haggard
THE WIZARD by H. Rider Haggard
THE POWER OF ONE by Bryce Courtenay
THE WHITE NILE by Alan Moorehead
Please contact me if you collect Wilbur Smith first editions.
wadeburgess

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:13 pm

Betty wrote: Maybe I've grown up at last!!

never too old to indulge in a straight-up romance ;)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Kate4Tanus » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:00 am

Sadly enough- I love Harry Potter. Not the latest ones so much- but the 3rd and 4th ones I love! Yes, I am sad!
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby Bee » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:09 pm

Kate4Tanus wrote:Sadly enough- I love Harry Potter. Not the latest ones so much- but the 3rd and 4th ones I love! Yes, I am sad!

Tons of people have read or are reading Harry Potter. It's cool if you like them.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Kate4Tanus » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:27 am

Sweet! Now I feel good! I remember when I first read them. It was in grade 5... good times...
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby Nefer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:47 am

Yeah, I'm a big big fan of all things Potter :mrgreen: Makes me wish I was little again :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Kate4Tanus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:17 am

I am already little!!! No, I grew up with Harry Potter so I don't think it is uncool. Heck, I loved it before it was ever in!
Kate4Tanus

Postby i_heart_nefie » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:47 am

Kate we all now you're NOT little...anywho when I was little I read strange books...I think they were called animorphs....anyway before ws I really enjoyed novels aboutt he trojan war and other such greek history
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Kate4Tanus » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:49 am

You know very well they are called animorphs. You have the whole collection in your wardrobe!
Kate4Tanus

Postby i_heart_nefie » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:51 am

hehe that i do, but it is quite late and the old brain is not functioning. I thought for a moment they were called animorphic something.......i had to go check
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Kate4Tanus » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:03 am

Yes, you only have 50 ZILLION of them!
Kate4Tanus

PreviousNext

Return to Other Authors