Favourite book (other than WS)?

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Postby Rivaan » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:35 am

Bee wrote:
Kate4Tanus wrote:Sadly enough- I love Harry Potter. Not the latest ones so much- but the 3rd and 4th ones I love! Yes, I am sad!

Tons of people have read or are reading Harry Potter. It's cool if you like them.

Is it? Is it really? Lol!

Well the other author I like is Terry Pratchett. Um.. *tries to think of others* Wow.. I can't remember any more. Oh I liked Philip Pullman's Count Karlstein.
Rivaan

Postby damo42 » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:29 pm

I've actually got hundreds. Those of you who enjoyed LOTR will certainly like the George RR Martin books. By far the best fantasy series available. Beats Robert Jordan hands down. (after the first 3 in the Wheel of Time series. First 3 weren't bad.) Also, check out the Jack Whyte series. They present an interesting alternative to the King Arthur story.

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett
Sarum - Edward Rutherfurd
A Dream of Eagles series - Jack Whyte
Song of Ice and Fire series - George RR Martin
Obsidian Series - Mercedes Lackey

Anything by:
Patrick O'Brien
Larry McMurtry
James Michener

Poetry:
Annabelle Lee - Edgar Allen Poe
damo42

Postby Kate4Tanus » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:19 am

I like a little bit of murder mystery. I like Mary Higgins Clark. Anyone read any of her work? I've read most of it.
'You were ever more than a tutor to me,' Memnon answered softly. 'You where the father I never knew.'
Kate4Tanus

Postby VMS » Fri May 12, 2006 9:35 am

My all time favorite book is Papillon by Henri Charriere. It really was amazing and it's based on a true story as well. Too bad that the movie wasn't as great...
VMS

Postby Monsoon » Fri May 12, 2006 10:54 am

Seen the film many times, it is a great story. but the films rarely live up to the books do they.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby wingwriter2000 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:42 am

Before I go on I must say that the Bird's of Prey series are my all time fave. I have read BOP four times and the others 3 times. Having a bit of trouble getting into Triump of the Sun....Does it get better?

Books I love:

Lonesome Dove---------------Larry McMurtry-If you liked the miniseries, this is a rare book where the movie actually represented the book. (Read thrice)

Point Of Impact---------------Stephen Hunter (Read 4 times-awesome Novel on snipers-fantastic story and several sequels--Main character is Bob Lee Swagger nicknamed "Bob the Nailer" From reading some of your faves...most will love this novel...Mark Wahlberg is currently filming "Shooter" based on POI. After reading POI you may find yourself questioning the casting of Wahlberg--A Tommy Lee Jones type would have been a better choice in my opinion.

HMS Unseen--------------------Patrick Robinson--If you like a good story with Navy SEAL OPS.

The Count of Monte Cristo----Alexander Dumas--Unabridged of course.

The Sea Wolf-------------------Jack London--nuff said. (read thrice)

An American Life--The Ronald Reagan Autobiography-regardless of your political views, this is a very interesting read.

Tea with Terrorists-------------Craig Winn---This novel is half fiction and half non-fiction...The authors traveled to the Middle east and met with members of Hamas, Hezzbolah, Islamic Jihad and El Fatah. They studied the Holy Koran and other sacred Islamic writings to learn the heart of the Muslim Faith...This novel will open your eyes---if you want your eyes opened.

Tuesdays with Morrie----------Mitch Albom---will warm your heart and make you value more the years you've had and treasure even more those that are to come.

Mortal Allies--------------------Brian Haig-----Son of former Secretary of State Alexander Haig...The book series revolves around a wise cracking JAG Officer Sean Drummond...entertaining reads..you will laugh out loud at times.

The Man Who Listens to Horses--Monty Roberts...You'll not only learn about horses...you may even learn something about yourself.

The King Arthur series----Bernard Cornwell---An intriguing re-telling of the beloved King.

Term Limits---------------------Vince Flynn--Main character is Mitch Rapp, a counter terrorism operative ensconced heavily in black ops.

David Morrell---his early stuff. (I Have read his early stuff several times)

Two books by Louis L'amour--not westerns

Last of the Breed--This cold war novel finds American test pilot Joe Mack prisoner in a Soviet Siberian prison camp. Joe, half Sioux-half Cheyenne and raised in the Indian ways by his grandfather and an Olympic caliber athlete, escapes into the wilderness and draws upon his Indian ways to survive...Tracked by a Yakut (spelling?) Indian, this is a phenominal man-hunt story. (I have read this book three times)

The Walking Drum---set in the 14th century, a young lad sees his family slaughtered while he survives. The story is an epic that finds the young man searching for his captive father...

I found myself awaiting sequels to both these L'amour stories, but sadly he died before writing them..I can only hope his daughter will do them someday as she has finished several of his incompleted works.

Oh, and lest I forget the Ramses series by Christian Jacq about the early and later years of young Moses and Ramses...fictional but good reads as well.

Sorry so long, but I find it easier to try new books if I know a bit about them first. I love several of the ones already mentioned here as well.

PS..and wouldn't I be the fool if I didn't mention my own novel, Invasion America! Check it out in other author posts or at BarnesandNobles.com. :D
wingwriter2000

Postby Nefer » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:58 pm

Thanks for the input, I'm always seeking for new reads :D
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Penitent » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:43 pm

I have several. But since this is WS forum for some reason the first one that comes to mind is "The Pillars Of The Earth" by Ken Follet; about the construction of a Cathedral in the XII century. It has all the action, adventure, romance and treachery that can be found in WS novels.

It is over 1000 pages, but you will be sorry it ends!
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:54 pm

Penitent wrote:I have several. But since this is WS forum for some reason the first one that comes to mind is "The Pillars Of The Earth" by Ken Follet; about the construction of a Cathedral in the XII century. It has all the action, adventure, romance and treachery that can be found in WS novels.

It is over 1000 pages, but you will be sorry it ends!

I couldn't agree more. :!:
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby delby » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:17 pm

let the circle be unbroke by mildred d taylor

its a kids book but a must read
its about a coloured family in post slavery southern usa and the hardships they still suffered and ive red it at least ten times still makes me cry tho
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Re: Favourite book (other than WS)?

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Aztec - by Gary Jennings - he wrote several novels about the ancient aztec civilization and he was really popular as a writer in the late 70s early 80s.Check out his website if you have not heard of him

The Stand - by Stephen King - was a great read back in the day

The Hardy Boy Series - when I was a kid I read every one of them and thought they were great ( did you know the hardy boy series was written by several different authors

The James Bond Series - by Ian Fleming - read every one of them and loved them to death (did you know Jeffery Deaver is writing a James Bond novel right now as we speak

Angels and Demons - by Dan Brown - god I loved this book I am Catholic by faith and there was a lot of Vatican stuff I loved this book

[b14] sorry I am addicted to smileys ( maybe someday I will get over it ) [b11]
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Previous

Return to Other Authors