Ken Follet

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Re: Ken Follet

Postby annagram » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:08 pm

I loved "Pillars of the Earth" but just couldn't get into "World Without End".
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby Ada » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:54 pm

^annagram - I thought it was just me but there's now a few of us that couldn't get into World Without End.
E-Hoog wrote:Something very typical happened to me regarding his book Pillars of the earth.

After reading the reviews here and hearing people raving about this book, I decided to keep an eye out for it. I managed to find a paperback in a bookshop at the train station of my home city Eindhoven. However, it cost 12 euros and at that time I really couldn't spare that amount, especially since my bookshelves are filled with books I have bought, but haven't read yet. When I travelled to my parents that afternoon by train, I arrived at another bookshop at the train station of Utrecht. There they also had a copy of Pillars. So, I knew where to look. This was some months back and whenever I have to wait for my train I wander into the bookshops. Then, for my birthday, someone gave me a gift certificate for a book and I immediately knew what book to buy. I passed the bookshops some times after that (I only travel to Utrecht about once a month), but every time I forgot to bring the gift certificate. There it was, on the shelves, glaring at me. Last weekend, however, I remebered to put the certificate in my wallet as I went to my parents once more. I left a little early to get to the bookshop. And what do you know? It was gone! Not the bookshop of course, but Pillars. Ah well, there was still the other bookshop. I was reading A Sparrow falls at the time, and was nearly finished with it. I finished it on the train ride to Utrecht, got out, went to the bookshop to buy Pillars and have something to read on the way back. It wasn't there either! So now I have the certificate in my wallet all the time, still looking for the book. It's a sad tale, nay?

E-Hoog - I thought things like that only happened to me :lol: . Keep searching, Pillars is worth the hunt.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Matbow » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:22 pm

Had anyone heard about this?!

A mini series has been made of Ken Follet's "The Pillars of the Earth":

http://www.starz.com/originals/ThePillarsOfTheEarth?src=starz_marcom&med=banner&content=imdb&cmp=pillars&cid=65

I hope it does the book justice!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Matbow » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:56 am

Surprised no one commented on my above post/link...

Anyhow, the first two episodes of this have now been aired and I'm liking it so far. It seems pretty true to the book, which is nice, although I can't remember every twist and turn. It looks like Ken Follet has been involved in the making of it, which is always reassuring.

I do wonder how appealing this would be to someone that hasn't read the book though...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:47 pm

I was waiting to read the book before watching the show... but maybe I'll do the opposite, seeing as how I'm in the middle of a re-read of the Camulod books :)

ETA - might be a while as I can't seem to find the show online...
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:07 pm

Read the book first, not convinced the mini series stands alone all that well.

Can you use the below?

http://www.starz.com/originals/thepilla ... 01-anarchy

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:20 pm

No, they've got it for American viewers only. I've decided to get Movie Central, which does air all Starz shows in Canada. I'm on my way to get the book - the story looks promising based on everyone's reviews here!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nefer » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:30 pm

So I read the book - still waiting to get the show (Netflix has made it to Canada so I'll use the 14 day free trial!)

As for "Pillars" - it was good, in the sense that everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. I would have loved to see more of Maud, other than the few momentary glimpses. Oh and Ellen, what a mysterious character! She's like the fairy godmother of the story, sweeping in and saving everyone :) I understand that the book is about the journey of the character, but I would have liked to get more information about the history of the period.

The beginning was quite gripping, with the curse, and the resolution of the Jack-Ellen storyline was flat. Compared to WS, well, no contest!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby poneeboy53 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:30 pm

Have now read Pillars - Long but Loved it.

Jackdaws, Hornet Flight and Eye of the Needle all great fast action packed reads. Loved all three of them.
poneeboy53

Currently Reading: Golden Fox

Postby chookie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:22 pm

I have read all of his books and find that they are a very good read.
I will keep an eye out for his next book.

Regards.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby Matbow » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:40 pm

Currently about 20% into his latest novel - Winter of the World; book 2 in his Century Trilogy. Liking it a lot so far...

Has anyone else read it?

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:01 am

E-Hoog wrote:Something very typical happened to me regarding his book Pillars of the earth.

After reading the reviews here and hearing people raving about this book, I decided to keep an eye out for it. I managed to find a paperback in a bookshop at the train station of my home city Eindhoven. However, it cost 12 euros and at that time I really couldn't spare that amount, especially since my bookshelves are filled with books I have bought, but haven't read yet. When I travelled to my parents that afternoon by train, I arrived at another bookshop at the train station of Utrecht. There they also had a copy of Pillars. So, I knew where to look. This was some months back and whenever I have to wait for my train I wander into the bookshops. Then, for my birthday, someone gave me a gift certificate for a book and I immediately knew what book to buy. I passed the bookshops some times after that (I only travel to Utrecht about once a month), but every time I forgot to bring the gift certificate. There it was, on the shelves, glaring at me. Last weekend, however, I remebered to put the certificate in my wallet as I went to my parents once more. I left a little early to get to the bookshop. And what do you know? It was gone! Not the bookshop of course, but Pillars. Ah well, there was still the other bookshop. I was reading A Sparrow falls at the time, and was nearly finished with it. I finished it on the train ride to Utrecht, got out, went to the bookshop to buy Pillars and have something to read on the way back. It wasn't there either! So now I have the certificate in my wallet all the time, still looking for the book. It's a sad tale, nay?

Wow, almost 7 years ago that I wrote this. And you know what? I've just started Pillars. It is great :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:24 pm

E-Hoog wrote:

Wow, almost 7 years ago that I wrote this. And you know what? I've just started Pillars. It is great :)

Best book I have ever read
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:06 am

:-)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby jeffw » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:00 am

Great story (yours) in its own right, E! Never read him - will give him a try. Stay safe. :D
jeffw

Previous

Return to Other Authors