Similar books/authors to WS.

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Similar books/authors to WS.

Postby Penitent » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:29 pm

I don’t know if this category or something similar exists already. If so, I apologize and feel free to move it or delete it.

I did create a threat for David Ball in other authors. He has a book called “Empires of Sand” that I find similar to WS. Two brothers separated for years and then reunited while fighting in opposite sides… you get the idea.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Penitent » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:45 pm

"Shangai Station" by Bartle Bull. Not as descriptive and profound as WS but I kept thinking about him while I was reading this.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Similar books/authors to WS

Postby Ada » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:04 am

A few years ago my Library had lists of "Who Writes Like... & the following was the Wilbur Smith list ('adventure' being the category). (The italics are from notes/records I've kept, the ( ) no. is how many I've read, the blue ones have their own threads here in Other Authors & the green are Forum Members.

Eric Ambler didn't find any of his books
Desmond Bagley (2)
James Clavell (3)
Jon Cleary (eight)
Ken Follett (10) All his books were very good
Arthur Hailey (2)
Jack Higgins* (9)
Hammond Innes (3) Campbell's Kingdom & Isvik were OK but Golden Soak was boring
Geoffrey Jenkins (1)
Gavin Lyall (1) didn't like his style
Alistair MacLean I didn't read any of his. I think they're all war stories. garrick likes MacLean
James A. Michener (5) If you like looong books then he's the author for you! SotSF says JAM's 'Mexico' is one of the worst books he's read! (It is not one of the 5 I've read.) damo42 says JAM is a favourite.
Alan Paton Only read "Cry, The Beloved Country" & didn't like it. Nefer studied this one.
Harry Patterson* (1) (Harry, NOT James) *According to Monsoon HP is a pseudonym for Jack Higgins!
Irwin Shaw (1) (Only read "Beggarman, Thief" & noted 'almost boring'.) Not the same "Shaw" Bee has studied
Sidney Sheldon (11) His books are very good. Sadly he passed away on 31st Jan. '07 aged 89
Christopher Sherlock Read 1 out of at least 4 Has any one else read his "Call of the Lion"? From memory, I'm pretty sure this was an excellent book but as yet have been unable to locate any more of his novels.
Elleston Trevor No record of my having found/read any
Leon Uris Didn't finish "Mitla Pass" - didn't like, boring - don't know how many he wrote & don't care - it is rare for me to not finish a book.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Matbow » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:25 am

Thanks for that...very useful!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Penitent » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:31 pm

Great info Ada!

I'm surprised you didn't like Leon Uris, he has a couple of pretty good ones...
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Return to Other Authors