Margaret George

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Margaret George

Postby Nefer » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:42 pm

I can't believe I haven't started a thread on George before, seeing as how I'm such a fan of hers :)

She's written a lot of historical fiction:

THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY OF HENRY VIII
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTLAND AND THE ISLES
THE MEMOIRS OF CLEOPATRA
MARY CALLED MAGDALENE
HELEN OF TROY

The last three are my favourite - & "Mary called Magdalene" was a great suprise. I've just finished reading it - expecting it to be hollow & boring & tedious (Mary Queen was!) It's very well written - very thoughtful and insightful - I was up all hours of the night reading it!

Helen of Troy is my 2nd best - I've always had a soft spot for her & Paris :) The book was exactly what I expected it to be - Helen's life in all it's splendour and at it's every low. Didn't hurt that Paris is in a lot of it :) It's told from a first person POV, so I was suprised at how well the readrer gets to know all the other players in the story. She wrote Paris's part especially well :)

I have nothing but praise for this writer - the books I didn't like were not because the writing was bad, but because the characters were so insipid - Mary Queen, & King Henry (a rather foolish & irritating man).

One always expects the lives of famous historical characters to be filled with so much more - George has a great way of showing us that these famous people are human, and have nothing magical about them at all. We're still ruled by the same impulses, and it's easy to see one's own life in these books.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to Other Authors