Alexander Kent - Any fans?

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Alexander Kent - Any fans?

Postby Twoscoops » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:46 pm

After 15 years or so of thinking no other author can match Wilbur Smith's standard of adventure writing I think I've found another favourite. I picked up a copy of Passage to Mutiny by Alexander Kent in January, and if you are a fan of the nautical Courtneys then I don't think you'd be disappointed with this. The principal character is Richard Bolitho, and the books follow his career in the Royal Navy.

I've never really got into Jack Higgins or Patrick O'Brien, tolerated Peter Watt (am currently reading Shadow of the Osprey) and I quite like Gerald Seymour, but this is the first time I've been gripped as much as WS. More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bolitho
Twoscoops

Postby Monsoon » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:21 pm

I came across Alexander Kent at the same time i found Wilbur Smith (Dr. Livingstone eat your heart out) :)
I've read most of the Bolitho novels but i haven't been so keen since Adam became the central figure.
Every time i go to Falmouth i puzzle on which one the 'big house' might be but i haven't figured it out.
Twoscoops do you prescribe to the Bolitho newsletter? They don't seem to come out very often anymore.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:46 pm

sounds interesting! May have a look in the local library :)
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Twoscoops » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:51 am

Monsoon wrote:Twoscoops do you prescribe to the Bolitho newsletter? They don't seem to come out very often anymore.

I didn't know there was one, I've only just discoverd AK. Will look out for it.
Twoscoops

Postby Penitent » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:00 pm

I tried one of them, I think the series is almost 30 novels now. I thought it was just OK. I believe that for seafaring adventures Patrick O’Brian with his Master and Commander series and C S Forester with the Hornblower series are the top of the game.

Monsoon and Twoscoops maybe you can recommend a specific title so I can give it another try.

BTW, Monsoon, check out an interview in Alexander Kemt’s website, he reveals where the “big house” is.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:42 pm

Hey guys, I picked up "Command a Kings ship" at the library this lunch time, it's obviously not the first in the series - does this matter?
Last edited by Matbow on Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Penitent » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:36 pm

Go right ahead, I was not impressed with the one I read, so I’m waiting for somebody to recommend another entry. It probably is better to read them in order, but with over thirty titles already it may be a daunting task.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Monsoon » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:49 pm

Matbow wrote:Hey guys, I picked up "Command a Kings ship" at the library this lunch time, it's obviously not the first in the series - does this matter?

It was the 2nd book i read so i say go for it aswell, besides trying to get all the books out of libraries etc in chronological order would be nigh on impossible nowadays. Anyway you have to read one to know whether you want to read anymore.

I don't know which book you started with Penitent, but i would say these books are of a similar standard until you get to the more recently written which i don't think were so good.
So you can read CACK aswell! (sorry CaKS) :lol:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Return to Other Authors