The Official "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Postby Matbow » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:12 pm

So, we finally now when the final Harry Potter book is going to be released - 21st of July. Time to get excited! Who else (besides me) is going to be pre-ordering?
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:11 pm

Omigosh, am totally with you! Forget uni that week, I'll be going to the movie opening night & reading the book as soon as it's released!!!

Can you tell I'm excited?!!? I really can't wait for the summer - we get a new WS & the final Hp, AND a new HP movie!!!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Ada » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:04 am

My eldest daughter will probably buy the final Harry Potter but won't need to pre-order it. Buying J.K. Rowling's latest book each time has never been a problem where I live. Besides the book shops, the large department stores get hundreds of copies in. I have been waiting for the final one so I can buy the complete boxed set.
If the rumour Harry is killed is a reality I will be furious. All those trials and tribulations for 'nought'. In fact I may not even buy the boxed set if that's the case. I also would not then recommend the stories to anyone - particularly young children. The poor sod goes through all that misery & for what?
Reality, shmeality - I want a happy ending, nay, I DEMAND a happy ending :evil: :!:
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby delby » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:55 pm

Ada u is so cool man I want a happy ending too and if we dont get one I am gonna write to Rowly and .......well i will probably just kiss her ass for the other 6 books and only slightly show my displeasur3e at the end cos we cant all do a cathy bates and make her write a new bookchangin the story can we :lol:
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

J K Rowling

Postby Nefer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:11 pm

Can't believe we don't have a thread about her books, and I know there are a few fans on here :)

I just pre-ordered my book for Saturday delivery :D I figured might as well since it's the last book and all!

Anyone else excited?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

J K Rowling

Postby Ada » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:47 pm

We sort of have a thread on her - here in Other Authors, Page 4, Titled The Official "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" but there's not much there. Are you able to join it to this thread? As yes, she definitely deserves her own thread.

Yes, I'm excited but apprehensive as mentioned in the above thread as I don't want Harry to die! :( Spoilers will have to be used although I've a feeling we'll hear about it (i.e. if Harry dies) elsewhere e.g. the local News broadcasts, long before one of us posts something! :roll:
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:42 pm

Egads :shock:

Thanks Ada! I searched J K Rowling and nothing came up, I completely forgot about this thread, even though it was started by our Lord Master Matt :twisted:

I plan to stay away from the radio, tv, people in general, until I'm done. Some fools take pleasure in ruining Muggle's enjoyment of these books!

And as for the children's books - well they're really not. They deal with a lot more than most 9 year olds can handle (a couple at the cinema were completely mis-behaved because they were bored, a topic which is totally OT). The subject matter is beyond kids at this point. It may have been marketed that way, but I really don't think they are your traditional "The Railway Children", "Black Beauty", "My Friend Flicka" variety. (And I just exposed my childhood favs!)

I really don't think Harry will die - its just too predictable. Then again, Dumbledore's dying was a tad expected... agh, I dunno!! Can't wait to find out!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby delby » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:40 am

Nefer I so didnt expect Dumbledore to die , I really thought somehow hed get through maybe Im just a little girl at hart lol

And as for spoilers hows this , when Hbp came out some prat over here hung a banner from a motorway bridge saying Hermione Dies didnt get me tho cos I buy HP on the morning of release and read it in a day then start again but all those poor kids in the back of their parents cars must have been devastated even tho it wasnt true .

ooooooooooooooh what I would love to do to these people :twisted: :twisted:
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:26 am

The reason I had that figured out was because of the hero's life cycle thing. I read this book in a mythology course I took (called Hero with a thousand faces, I think) and in it we learned about hero quests.

There is always a guide/mentor who helps the hero through his journey, and then dies after passing on his knowledge, leaving the hero to complete the task. The hero is then successful, but is changed, and can't return home. Kinda like LOTR, where Gandalf didn't die, but wasn't with Frodo either.

We'll see if JRK follows this pattern next Saturday!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nefer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:09 am

So who'se excited for Saturday?! :mrgreen:
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:12 pm

Nefer wrote:...Lord Master Matt...

Lol...I quite like the sound of that, maybe I should use it somewhere!

I think I'm going to be queueing up at midnight for my copy of HP on friday...however it's only as I'll be out drinking on friday/haven't pre-ordered it/am busy on Saturday (snowboarding)....honest...:lol:

I might post my thoughts up in this thread, so I suggest that if people wish to do the same we put the page we're at and then use the spoiler function.

ps - how the hell do you spell queueing!?!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:30 pm

"queuing" was given to me by the Google spellchecker ;)

I'm thinking about going to a midnight party, there's gonna be lots here! The one I wanna go to will be at a botanical garden, so even if the party is full of babies the view will be nice :) Dunno if I could show up plastered to an HP party, think of all the kids I could corrupt!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby delby » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:17 am

Well peeps Ive finished it

hehehe

Im not going to post any spoilers because even if you hide them people can accidently read them

all I can say is That JK is an absolute genius of the first water I got everything I wanted from this book and a little bit more the plot really gets pulled together and its not a slow starter either its right in there with the action

ps some one hurry up and read it so as I have someone to talk to about it coz Im gonna bust
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:49 pm

OMG I'm done I'm done!!! Send me a PM delby we can chat to our heart's content I'm the only person I know who has finished the book!!

I agree with you, JKR is a freaking genius. This book is up there with WS, and that's the highest praise I can bestow!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Postby Ada » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:34 pm

^ So, if you're both happy, I'm working on the premise that Harry did not die. :D If that is the case, I can wait until the library calls (I'm a long way down the list but I suspect they ordered multiple copies.) If I am correct, I will buy (or request as a gift for Xmas or birthday) a paperback boxed set when they become available.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:53 am

My lips are sealed...

The library people here are on strike... the horror! I really feel bad for everyone who is waiting for the book, and for me, who now has nothing to read!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:23 pm

I'm finished too...really liked it!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Penitent » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:02 pm

you guys read the book in one day? I'm impressed!
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:17 pm

8 hours :mrgreen: I'm quite proud of myself, I usually don't marathon read like this!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Ada » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:01 am

Nefer wrote:
The library people here are on strike... the horror! I really feel bad for everyone who is waiting for the book, and for me, who now has nothing to read!

That's disgusting. I cannot recall any of our libraries ever going on strike. They didn't half time that for the Harry Potter finale - did they? I hope they have returned by now.

^ Re finishing it in one day or so. I too am impressed. I've read many books that I couldn't put down but never finished one (especially that long) in one day.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Next

Return to Other Authors