What book are you reading at the moment?

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Postby Nefer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:27 am

James Clavell writes history about the Orient, and Diana Gabaldon writes history as well (the romance angle in her books are a hundred times more realistic!).

Her books start out in Scotland (Battle of Culloden) and right now, the same characters are in the American Revolution (6 books and going strong!). She's a brilliant writer.

Jean Auel also does history, set in pre-historic times, and she also is great at her research. Reading her books is like taking intro. to anthropology (5 books and counting!)

Hope that's enough to tide you over till next March!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby WSI » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:06 pm

Nefer wrote:James Clavell writes history about the Orient, and Diana Gabaldon writes history as well (the romance angle in her books are a hundred times more realistic!).
Her books start out in Scotland (Battle of Culloden) and right now, the same characters are in the American Revolution (6 books and going strong!). She's a brilliant writer.

Diana Gabaldon:
I read three of the six (six?), then I was out. Uh, this is sometimes sooo romantic and sooo sweet :twisted: Tough men with muscles you can huddle against, women who are willing and who take the bait of rough men with a lot of charme. :roll: And so it was IMO consequently boring, not to say that it gets more and more unrealistic. But my wife at this time liked it :D But I have to admit that he battles are well done and the setting is rather traceable :)

(it reminds my of our "male/female books"-discussion: Gabaldon IS a typical female writer :lol: 8) )
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:18 pm

I agree that they have a lot of romance in them - half the fun, IMO!

The 3rd book was a little slow, but it picks up from there. Give the rest a try :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby WSI » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Nefer wrote:I agree that they have a lot of romance in them - half the fun, IMO!

The 3rd book was a little slow, but it picks up from there. Give the rest a try :)

Half the burden in my eyes :wink: No, the books are far far away from me and have some 30 or 40 others in the loop
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Bee » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:08 pm

I'm on the 3rd book... past half way done and I must say it's quite intriguing. I'd rather not put it down. I enjoyed it. But I must say that it's more of a "woman's" novel than a man's. It's got a lot of the lovey-dovey romance in it.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Wed May 24, 2006 4:43 pm

Just about to start Shogun by James Clavell. It's been mentioned here a few times and my dad has also recommended it on numerous occasions... The cover design is cool too:

“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Thu May 25, 2006 11:46 am

It's a brilliant novel!

I'd love to get my hands on that cover! I still haven't got around to buying the paperback yet.

Let us know what you think.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby WSI » Fri May 26, 2006 2:57 am

lately: Carson McCullers, The heart is a lonely hunter
current: Anthony Bourdain, Les Halles Cookbook
and: Paulo Coelho, Veronika decides to die

all three different but really great :)
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Monsoon » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:06 pm

Just started...
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Nefer » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:46 pm

Well the title got me interested!

What's it about? I see Terry Brooks gave it a review so I'm guessing maybe fantasy-type?
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:05 pm

I've just finished Shogun, it was very good! I found it quite hard-going in places, often only reading a chapter at a time. I really needed to concentrate more than usual to remember character names, places etc... I'm only dissapointed that there isn't a sequel :( At least there are more in the Asian Saga to get stuck into though. Recommended to anyone who can put in the effort, definately a real "readers" book.

I'll be reading Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy next. Anyone read it?

And yes...that is the correct colour order...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:00 pm

Gai-jin is a sort-of sequel, as it's set in Japan and does mention some of the older charcters. Glad you liked it!

I got through "The Devil wears Prada" which was not a bad book, it just lacked a certain spark. Didn't make me laugh, or cry... but I was incredibly frustrated at how long-winded it seems. The movie looks better ;)

Am currently enjoying "Boudica: Dreaming the Serpent Spear" by Manda Scott. It is by far the best book in the series. The characters seem more alive, the words seem more evocative... And all the characters who I've been following have had an interesting evolution. Still have most of the book to go through, so I'll save the final judgement!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:46 pm

Just got Gai-Jin from the Library actually. I have a week dog sitting at the parents so I need something keep me from getting too bored!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby WSI » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:10 pm

I enjoy Mascha Kaleko, unfortunenately rather unknown (as a lot of the authors I read, I have to admit)
if anybody is interested: http://www.fembio.org/women/mascha-kaleko.shtml
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Jester » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:13 am

I am just about to start the new Bernard Cornwell book "The Lords of the North". It is the third in a series of Books about the vikings & Alfred the Great. If it's as good as the first two then I'm in for a treat.

re Shogun. This was (is) one of my favourite books. I haven't read it for a very long time but I remember being mesmorised by it when I first read it (about 20 years ago).
Jester

Postby Matbow » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:51 pm

Just to add to my Shogun post; I've bought the 1980's Shogun mini-series on DVD. Apparently it's quite good. Anyone seen it (the first time around)?!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Monsoon » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:22 pm

I'm hardly reading anything of my book, i guess i must have readers block :(
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Nefer » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:25 pm

the shogun mini-series is really good! i borrowed it from the library a while back, had fun watching it all the way through.

monsoon, it must be all the cup excitement, i haven't been able to finish my book either, lol.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Jester » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:30 am

Matbow wrote:Just to add to my Shogun post; I've bought the 1980's Shogun mini-series on DVD. Apparently it's quite good. Anyone seen it (the first time around)?!

It's been a long time since I saw it. I watched it before I read the book but I remember really enjoying it. I have been meaning to buy it for a while but just haven't got round to it.
Jester

Postby Nefer » Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:23 pm

My parents watched it on tv, the first time round. They had terrible deja vu when I borrowed it from the library to watch :)

I read "Wicked!" by Jilly Cooper. A cracking good read, as always. I always look forward to reading her books - I love how she always manages to involve characters from her other books into the newer ones!

Also read "Mistress of Spices" by Chitra Divakaruni. It was beyond all expectations I had for it. Simply magical and worth a read. The movie is a total bust though. It's more than horrible - not only do they not stay true to the characters, the movie is impossible to understand if you haven't read the book first. And it's still confusing! Not to mention I can't stand Aishwarya Rai's acting lack of skills.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

PreviousNext

Return to Other Authors