Ghost Writing

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Ghost Writing

Postby Penitent » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:06 am

Looks like this topic created a bit of a debate in other threats so I decided to create its own so we can get everyone’s opinion.

I think ghost writing is OK as long as the name of the real author of the book is shown in the cover next to the ‘Big Guy”, so at least he/she gets some recognition, if not the cash. It is also a good way for some people to get published and get the exposure that they may not get going at it on their own.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Ghost Writing

Postby Ada » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:37 am

Looks like I'm the only "other opinion" at this stage!!
Actually I meant to come back to this thread a while ago but forgot about it.

Thanks Penitent re IDing when ghostwriters are used (in the Cussler thread) :) and thanks Matt for the link (your post under Clive Cussler Feb 03,'07 3.36pm). :)

'Crofts' pretty well answered all my Q's. However, I'd just like to comment on his statement: "Being a ghost is a matter of suppressing your own ego completely, which is a good discipline for any writer." When he said this, I understood him to be talking about when he actually interviews/writes about his subjects. Claire Bott stated in the article, .... "probably makes Crofts the only writer in the world without an ego". I disagree. IMO he has excellent self-esteem & is very proud of what he does & according to my dictionary, this means he does have an ego.

With regards to ghostwriting itself, Crofts also said: "These people are living the lives I don't have to live, because I can just go in, find out all about it, and then move off again. I love it."
Technically, he's still a journalist isn't he :?:

Re it being OK for ghostwriters to be used as long as they're identified/acknowledged - yes I agree but you (Penitent), said in the Dick Francis thread (Feb 08, '07 12.05am)

Well, I believe that nothing is a good as the original.

Does this mean if you know a book has been written by a ghostwriter, you won't read it - believing it not to be any good as the "original" author hasn't written it? :?
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby Penitent » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:14 am

I meant that in my experience nothing that has not been written by the guy on the cover has been as good. I think is all about the money. Take James Patterson, he mass produces thrillers (four or five a year), he doesn’t write any of them just “reviews” what other people writes for him and then sings his name on the book. Of course it will sell as if it was written by him (a regular ghost writer will be paid $10 to $50 per page while the “big guy” may collect millions of dollars in royalties) .

Another example is Robert Ludlum. He created, in my opinion, some of the best thrillers on the 70s and 80s (The Bourne Identity). He sadly passed on in 2001. Since then “he” has written 11 books and there will be another one later this year. Well, I understand it is a very good business, but I don’t like it.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Return to Other Authors