100 year old man who climbed out the window

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

100 year old man who climbed out the window

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:01 am

I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie yesterday. Brilliant!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Re: 100 year old man who climbed out the window

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:48 pm

E-Hoog wrote:I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie yesterday. Brilliant!

E-Hoog can you give a little more detail please
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby dtietens » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:06 pm

Re: What I have read in 2013 a.k.a 52 books in 52 weeks

Post by dtietens » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:28 pm
When sorting my books out I encountered another book I read last year which was quite a read. Funny as hell. Do not understand why I forgot it in my first listing.
Jonas Jonasson:
The hundered-year-old man who climbed out of the window and disappeared.
"Sitting quietly in his room in an old people's home, Allan Karlsson is waiting for a party he doesn't want to begin. His one-hundredth birthday party to be precise. The Mayor will be there. The press will be there. But, as it turns out, Allan will not...
Escaping (in his slippers) through his bedroom window, into the flowerbed, Allan makes his getaway. And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving riminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police. As his escapades unfold, Allan's earlier life is revealed. A life in which - remarkably - he played a key role behind the scenes in some of the momentous events of the twentieth century."
UNQUOTE

A must read John. Very funny and I second E-Hoog.
dtietens

Currently Reading: Karin Brynard, Onse vaders

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:20 pm

dtietens wrote:Re: What I have read in 2013 a.k.a 52 books in 52 weeks

When sorting my books out I encountered another book I read last year which was quite a read. Funny as hell. Do not understand why I forgot it in my first listing.
Jonas Jonasson:
"Sitting quietly in his room in an old people's home, Allan Karlsson is waiting for a party he doesn't want to begin. His one-hundredth birthday party to be precise. The Mayor will be there. The press will be there. But, as it turns out, Allan will not...
Escaping (in his slippers) through his bedroom window, into the flowerbed, Allan makes his getaway. And so begins his picaresque and unlikely journey involving riminals, several murders, a suitcase full of cash, and incompetent police. As his escapades unfold, Allan's earlier life is revealed. A life in which - remarkably - he played a key role behind the scenes in some of the momentous events of the twentieth century."
UNQUOTE

Yes I want to read this need a good yarn to read - got to finish up my Ken Follet trilogy first
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:58 pm

dtietens wrote:Re: What I have read in 2013 a.k.a 52 books in 52 weeks

Jonas Jonasson:
UNQUOTE

I knew I had seen it somewhere before on the forum, but I couldn't find it. Thanks :-). What I've heard is that the movie is about as good as the book (even better, some say), so yes, a must read! The actors in the movie are simply epic
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:18 am

Well Dtietens and Ehoog have completed The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and I must tell you it was one of the oddest books I have ever read.A very different genre of book sort of a dark comedy and a good old yarn.I appreciated it to a point and admit I got a few good laughs out of it but thought it was very off the wall in principle.I suppose that is what it was intended to be,out there so to speak.I think it is more like you read it and either you love it or hate,being honest I lien toward the latter,not so much the story it had potential to be good but I found the way it was written was very amateurish more like what a talented high school student could conjure up.
No regrets for reading it and still appreciate your recommendations - however not up my ally.
2 stars out of 5.

Now I am about to begin Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follet and dying to get my head into it.Loving the Follet books and I mean I am hooked.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:27 am

Hi John,

I haven't read the book, so I can't comment on the writing style. (I saw the movie). But good of you to try it :).

I'm currently involved in a small Terry Pratchett binge, but I will start the Century Trilogy next :).
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:25 pm

E-Hoog wrote:Hi John,

I haven't read the book, so I can't comment on the writing style. (I saw the movie). But good of you to try it :).

I'm currently involved in a small Terry Pratchett binge, but I will start the Century Trilogy next :).

It is nice when you latch on to a book or tv series for that matter that you really enjoy.Right now I have Follettmania which is similar to Beatlemania - You want to consider Pillars Of the Earth EHoog it will be the greatest read you will ever discover in your reading days ahead.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby annagram » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:25 am

johnrogers wrote:Well Dtietens and Ehoog have completed The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and I must tell you it was one of the oddest books I have ever read.A very different genre of book sort of a dark comedy and a good old yarn.I appreciated it to a point and admit I got a few good laughs out of it but thought it was very off the wall in principle.I suppose that is what it was intended to be,out there so to speak.I think it is more like you read it and either you love it or hate,being honest I lien toward the latter,not so much the story it had potential to be good but I found the way it was written was very amateurish more like what a talented high school student could conjure up.
No regrets for reading it and still appreciate your recommendations - however not up my ally.
2 stars out of 5.

Now I am about to begin Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follet and dying to get my head into it.Loving the Follet books and I mean I am hooked.

I loved pillars but the sequel is not as good
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby johnrogers » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:44 am

annagram wrote:
johnrogers wrote:Well Dtietens and Ehoog have completed The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and I must tell you it was one of the oddest books I have ever read.A very different genre of book sort of a dark comedy and a good old yarn.I appreciated it to a point and admit I got a few good laughs out of it but thought it was very off the wall in principle.I suppose that is what it was intended to be,out there so to speak.I think it is more like you read it and either you love it or hate,being honest I lien toward the latter,not so much the story it had potential to be good but I found the way it was written was very amateurish more like what a talented high school student could conjure up.
2 stars out of 5.

I loved pillars but the sequel is not as good

Will tell you for certain Annagram I am in love with Pillars of the Earth ( can't believe I just said that ) I have never enjoyed anything I have read as much.My good wife Kelly is reading the second in the Pillars series and she is enjoying it as much as the first entry.Hard to believe a book can be that good.

Amen
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Return to Other Authors