Matbow - re The Century Trilogy

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Matbow - re The Century Trilogy

Postby johnrogers » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Matbow can not thank you enough for recommending this my wife Kelly and I are addicted I am almost finished book 2 Winter of The World and Kelly is almost finished Edge of Etenity.These reads are almost life changing for both of us they are that good.Long long reads may I add.
Simply amazing Matbow
Last edited by johnrogers on Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: Matbow - re The Century Triology

Postby Matbow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Good stuff! Edge of Eternity was my favorite since its more recent history, but the others were great too.

Next up, how about Jeffrey Archer's Clifton Chronicles? Not as 'historical' as Ken Follet, but its still a family saga - it follows the life (and family) of one character from 1920 onwards.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby johnrogers » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:16 pm

Matbow wrote:Good stuff! Edge of Eternity was my favorite since its more recent history, but the others were great too.

Next up, how about Jeffrey Archer's Clifton Chronicles? Not as 'historical' as Ken Follet, but its still a family saga - it follows the life (and family) of one character from 1920 onwards.

Reading plan is this Matbow will finish up the The Century Trilogy first then will read 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window recommended to me by Dtietens and EHoog and then will read Jeffrey Archers Clifton Chronicles - saying that Kelly will start reading Clifton Chronicles in a few days as she is very close to finishing the Trilogy she is online right now looking at it and she is a Jeffrey Archer fan - again the Century Trilogy is a very long read about 3000 pages total more like about 8 regular books.Nothing has stirred me up as much as The Century Triology.

However Matbow I have a very fundamental question to ask you about history.
Why has the Jewish race been tormented and singled out by humanity for so many centuries.I simply do not understand why they have been a target by so many for so long
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:54 pm

100 year old man is a great read - a good one after the epic books you're reading now!

quote="johnrogers"]However Matbow I have a very fundamental question to ask you about history.
Why has the Jewish race been tormented and singled out by humanity for so many centuries.I simply do not understand why they have been a target by so many for so long[/quote]

I will defer to my favorite site (Reddit) for answers to this question!

http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/18a9l8/eli5_historically_why_have_jews_been_so/

Also:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/Why_Do_People_Hate_The_Jews.htm
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:59 am

I will start the Century Trilogy when I finish (or finally give up on) Desert God

I've seen the recommendation about Ken Follet before, but that was also about Pillars of the Earth, which seems to be a bit older. Which should I start first? The Century Trilogy or Pillars of the Earth (+World Without End)? What do you guys recommend?
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:04 pm

E-Hoog wrote:I will start the Century Trilogy when I finish (or finally give up on) Desert God

I've seen the recommendation about Ken Follet before, but that was also about Pillars of the Earth, which seems to be a bit older. Which should I start first? The Century Trilogy or Pillars of the Earth (+World Without End)? What do you guys recommend?

E-Hoog
The Century Trilogy - it is the Holy Grail of reading believe me - it is a long long read about 1000 pages per entry - sequence is #1 Fall of Giants #2 Winter of the World #3 Edge of Eternity - it is a reading commitment for certain.
I am sure Pillars of the Earth is equal to the trilogy in every way which I intend to read soon enough I have read the reviews and there are very good
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:25 pm

E-Hoog wrote:I will start the Century Trilogy when I finish (or finally give up on) Desert God

They're both great and long/epic reads. Pillars was the novel which really captured many peoples imaginations on what is a relatively mundane subject (building Churches/Cathedrals in the medieval ages). It was also a completely different type of book to what he had written previously (usually thrillers/intrigue) and it's success is probably the reason why he wrote more historical fiction.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Matbow - re The Century Trilogy

Postby johnrogers » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Matbow thought you would get a charge out of this,since my wife and I began reading the Century Trilogy she has completed it,she has also read and finished reading the first four books in the Jeffrey Archer series you suggested and has done a preorder for the fifth installment which debuts in Feb here in Canada.As well she has started the first book in the Ken Follet Pillars of the earth series and I believe there are two books in this series as well.
Regarding myself I am 90% thru the third installment of the Century Trilogy only.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:55 am

johnrogers wrote:Matbow thought you would get a charge out of this,since my wife and I began reading the Century Trilogy she has completed it,she has also read and finished reading the first four books in the Jeffrey Archer series you suggested and has done a preorder for the fifth installment which debuts in Feb here in Canada.As well she has started the first book in the Ken Follet Pillars of the earth series and I believe there are two books in this series as well.
Regarding myself I am 90% thru the third installment of the Century Trilogy only.

You are a book-devouring couple :D!

I will start the Century trilogy soon. Thanks for the answers Matt and John
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:39 pm

E-Hoog wrote:
johnrogers wrote:Matbow thought you would get a charge out of this,since my wife and I began reading the Century Trilogy she has completed it,she has also read and finished reading the first four books in the Jeffrey Archer series you suggested and has done a preorder for the fifth installment which debuts in Feb here in Canada.As well she has started the first book in the Ken Follet Pillars of the earth series and I believe there are two books in this series as well.

You are a book-devouring couple :D!

I will start the Century trilogy soon. Thanks for the answers Matt and John

Was nearly ashamed of myself E-Hoog,there I was finishing book three of the trilogy and realized my wife had lapped me by being 4 plus books ahead of me.
Keep in mind the Century Trilogy is one hell of a long read,but I will say for certain it is fantastic,a real history lesson of the last 100 years,will be honest I don't think I have ever come across anything of such high quality.

Note the real true reader in my household is my wife - she is a monster similar to Matbow in the reading department.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Matbow » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:00 pm

It sounds like we all like the same kind of books!

I'm actually currently in a science fiction phase. Just read "Ancillary Justice" and "Ancillary Sword", followed by "Ready player one" and am now on the "Old Man's War" series (book 3).

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Return to Other Authors