Beneath A Colesberg Sky - Jeffrey Whittam

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Beneath A Colesberg Sky - Jeffrey Whittam

Postby johnrogers » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:02 pm

Beneath a Colesberg Sky is by far the very best you have created written and published I enjoyed it that much you told a perfect story and did that with perfection you could not possibly have done better or anyone else for that matter I am certain someday you will look back at Beneath a Colesberg Sky and realize how good it really was.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: Beneath A Colesberg Sky - Jeffrey Whittam

Postby jeffw » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:14 am

Kind words, John, only hope I can live up to them. Sequel well on its way. Jeff. ps Your Christmas 'house party'..? Go down okay for all those guests..?
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:35 am

jeffw wrote:Kind words, John, only hope I can live up to them. Sequel well on its way. Jeff. ps Your Christmas 'house party'..? Go down okay for all those guests..?

Ah you mean my wifes Christmas party for the ER staff at St Josephs hospital.It was a success the house was decorated to the nines,we set up a party tent with an never ending beer fridge,we had it catered and had lots of help to make it a great event.We almost lost the 10 by 10 gazebo tent off our back deck the weather was horrible but we managed to pull it off.The house smelt like a beer tavern at the Kimberely mining sight the following day.Lots of fun and it made my wife happy so be it.
Really looking forward to your sequel again the polish and quality of Beneath a Colesberg Sky was simply incredible Jeff.Never give up I am certain your day in the sunshine is closer than you think.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Hi John, so very glad your gathering went off with a bang! Said it before, you're a good man, a world full of folks like you and there would never be another war! Re my writing, just want to tell a story, in the style of 'the old classic'. Reckon that's what folks want. Anyway, it's all I can do - like it or hate it. Stay with me, treasure your support. J :)
jeffw

Postby tedd » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:22 am

JEFF WHITTAM

I have just finished Jeff’s latest book Colesberg Sky. I have some comments to make which are going to hit a few nerves and not necessarily Jeff’s.
I enjoyed the book from go to finish and although I did not find it as exciting and moving as his first two books, still it is a worthwhile read. Also I marvelled at the sudden maturity in the quality and style of the writing. I found the descriptions, the similes, and the flow so much in advance of the previous books that it was almost like a different author.
So what didn’t I like? Well here I show my age and prejudices – so these are very personal comments which may only apply to me – nobody else in the world may think this way.
I’m not mad about female heroes – unless it’s Boedicea or another of the ancients. They do appear now and again I suppose – but normally I would choose a book with a male lead.
Secondly – what goes totally against my principles is homosexuality – I abhor it and the suggestion of it. No matter that it is now considered acceptable, I spent three years in the Navy and saw the open depravity of the queers and their attempts and advances they make to the young navy men in bringing them into their activities. It sounds OK to say these two men or women are in love and should be able conjugate without criticism. So they should if they are so inclined. But the actual things that they do to each other are so disgusting and depraved that if they were seen by the do-gooders who approve of their “true love” they would very soon change their minds. End of the First Lesson!!!
So I’m nonPC and love it and will argue till my death on this subject. As I see it half the lawyers and politicians who are involved in pushing the subject are also involved themselves and when you find it rife in the Church too what chance do you stand of halting it./
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:40 am

Hi tedd, strong sentiments indeed! I hear what you say and understand your abhorence, your opinions and feelings I cannot argue with, however, having ventured over the 'same gender love line' with Colesberg Sky, critisism I expected, so no worries. Bottom line..? It's just a story, and compared to WS's child molestation etc, my fictitious, same sex love affair, you have to admit is rather tame. Like it or not, these things happen and cannot be ignored. Ask Cecil Rhodes and quite a few others borne of Wilbur's tempestuous immagination, and they won't go away, whatever your non PC views are. You stay safe. Good to talk. J :)
jeffw

Postby tedd » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:01 pm

Thanks Jeff - I was concerned I may upset you (and others) with my comments and was please to see your reply. I know you plan a sequel to Colesberg and I will not be put off reading it by my biases. I suppose you are taking a break now before the next slog begins.
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:16 am

Already started Ted! Forty pages in! Can't afford a break, writing puts food on my table (tears of woe), but seriously, I love it, an addiction you could call it. Re your comments..? rather those than some wishy-washy half-heartedness, Will bear your 'dislikes' in mind with book four. Wonder where the story's going..? 8) You stay safe. God bless.
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:02 pm

Hi Jeff how are things with your new release of Beneath A Colesberg Sky,are you reaching a fair amount of readers via book sales ?
One thing I notice when I search Amazon Ca is if I am searching for an African adventure all your novels will show up as an alternative read,all three of them with book cover photos.They look great and hope they entice some more readers for you.
Looking forward to your next contribution and remember keep punching those keys on your computer.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:09 am

Yes john, good to hear from you. Busy with my next book; never stops, addicted, i guess. The last one's doing well, as are all three, so cannot complain. Have you nosed inside WS's latest book...Predator? So many conflicting reviews on Amazon so will rein in my cynicism and wait and see. How're things in a hopefully, sunny Vancouver? The snow must be all but gone by now?
You take care and stay in touch; value your encouragement.
Jeff :)
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Tue May 03, 2016 12:02 pm

jeffw wrote:Yes john, good to hear from you. Busy with my next book; never stops, addicted, i guess. The last one's doing well, as are all three, so cannot complain. Have you nosed inside WS's latest book...Predator? So many conflicting reviews on Amazon so will rein in my cynicism and wait and see. How're things in a hopefully, sunny Vancouver? The snow must be all but gone by now?
You take care and stay in touch; value your encouragement.
Jeff :)

So sorry to say but I have no interest in reading the new Predator release the last Hector Cross novel quite disturbed me.The other thing Jeff is there are so many books available that are really good and worthy of reading.By the way I find the cover of Predator if somewhat similar to the cover of your second book Empress Gold.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Fri May 06, 2016 3:25 am

Hi John, agree with your sentiments re, Predator. Maybe we're too old fashioned? Or maybe, we're not keen on his latest crash-bang-wallop stuff...the old die hard, real fans from the sixties are being sidelined in favour of pulp sensationalism; WS, unforunately is not, in my oppinion, capable of another Courtney rip-roarer. The stamina, quite expectedly has disappeared. The old brain cells just don't work as well as they used to. No shame in that, but readers are getting wise to the publishing scam of the century. At his age, a final, life's story would have fitted the bill. However, greed and vanity are powerful masters; may his readers give the man a break and let him soak up some late sunshine - that can never change. :(
God bless and stay safe.
jeffw

Postby SOELEY » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:11 pm

I just finished reading 'Beneath A Colesberg Sky' last week on holiday. I had put off reading this thread until I had read the book in case of any spoilers :shock:

Great book, really enjoyed reading it, it just flowed so well! I thought your descriptive writing, especially at the beginning when the Eudura had docked were so expressive, I felt like I was actually there. That is the point at which I knew this was going to be a good read.

Not going to say anything more (I will let others find out for themselves) apart from I thoroughly enjoyed it, well done on an excellent publication Jeff.
SOELEY

Currently Reading: Shock Wave - Clive Cussler

Postby jeffw » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:08 am

Hi Soeley, thanks for your support. The sequel is well underway. Stay safe. JW.
jeffw

Return to Other Authors