J. G. Ballard (Empire of the Sun)

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

J. G. Ballard (Empire of the Sun)

Postby Penitent » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:08 am

I first became acquainted with this story and author thru the marvelous Steven Spielberg movie. I thought it was such a powerful story that I bought the book the day after I saw the movie.

The story is an account of the author experiences after war breaks while he is in Shanghai. Separated from his parents and sent to a concentration camp Jim has to learn to survive on his own by creating alliances with other prisoners.

This is a coming of age story that will stay with you for a long time. Highly recommended.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: J. G. Ballard (Empire of the Sun)

Postby irene » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:24 am

Empire of the Sun was an inspiring story in my opinion. A few years ago it was set for highschool students in NSW. Great movie too.
irene

Currently Reading: Jamaica Inn

Re: J. G. Ballard (Empire of the Sun)

Postby Ballantyne » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:24 pm

I loved both the book and movie. I had the film on video but it broke. :(
Gonna have to watch it online.
"She gabbled meaningless replies to her father's questions and tried to lead him towards the door, but it was like trying to divert a bull elephant from his set purpose. Inexorably, Sean bore down upon the discarded knickers and the canvas where Mark cowered.

At his next step, the silk wrapped itself around the toe of his boot. The material was so filmy and light that he did not notice it, and he limped on happily, one foot draped in an exotic piece of feminine underwear, while the two young people watched in abject terror the knickers' slow circuit of the room."
Ballantyne

Currently Reading: The Leopard Hunts In Darkness

Return to Other Authors