James Clavell

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Re: James Clavell

Postby tedd » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:54 pm

An Australian schoolgirl has just undergone an attempted extortion - she was attacked in her home and an explosive collar fixed on her neck which could not be removed safely - she was confined to her house while experts worked on the problem eventually removing it - it was then found to be benign - no explosives at all.
Apparently this is related to an incident in the book Taipan from which the idea probably came. No arrests yet but progress is being made - the book also happens to be required or recommended reading at a nearby high school
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:01 am

tedd wrote:An Australian schoolgirl has just undergone an attempted extortion - she was attacked in her home and an explosive collar fixed on her neck which could not be removed safely - she was confined to her house while experts worked on the problem eventually removing it - it was then found to be benign - no explosives at all.
Apparently this is related to an incident in the book Taipan from which the idea probably came. No arrests yet but progress is being made - the book also happens to be required or recommended reading at a nearby high school

That sounds horrible :shock:

I will certainly read more Clavell, what with the comments about Tai-Pan. But first some David Baldacci to get my action-fix :wink:.

Happy reading John. I will either have to wait for a hardcopy of Sons of Africa or a Kindle. The latter is not high on my wish-list :wink:
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:11 pm

E-Hoog wrote:
tedd wrote:An Australian schoolgirl has just undergone an attempted extortion - she was attacked in her home and an explosive collar fixed on her neck which could not be removed safely - she was confined to her house while experts worked on the problem eventually removing it - it was then found to be benign - no explosives at all.

That sounds horrible :shock:

I will certainly read more Clavell, what with the comments about Tai-Pan. But first some David Baldacci to get my action-fix :wink:.

Happy reading John. I will either have to wait for a hardcopy of Sons of Africa or a Kindle. The latter is not high on my wish-list :wink:

Hi Tedd and EHoog

Agreed that is a horrible tale about a home invasion - not only that but with my moral compass turned on I say life long damage done to the little high school girl it is such a pity.

I also say I am very very stoked about reading Sons Of Africa and very proud of our forum member Jeff :)
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby johnrogers » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Need Some Advice or an Opinion

I am wondering what your opinion might be. Is it worth my while to read Gai-Jin before Noble House ? I have read in proper sequence Tai-Pan and Shogun and realize Gai-Jin is the next in the asian series but the reviews I am reading are not very good,in fact the reviews are very bad which is making me waiver a little about reading it

So the question is - should I read Gai-Jin before Noble House

:lol: One thing I admit is that book reviews do tend to influence my reading decision
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby Nefer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:13 am

Gai-Jin's not my favourite; it has more inaction than action at times. However, it does round off & conclude the Japan saga very nicely and builds the story of the Struans and their struggles to be the best. I think it was the first Clavell book I'd ever read which is why I'd never give it a low rating :)

I'm reading Noble House right now - finding it more fun than I remember! There was a t.v. series made about the books, with Pierce Brosnan in the title role - it's coloured by views of the book a bit.

Is it better than Gai-Jin? Probably 8)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Previous

Return to Other Authors