Nelson DeMille

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Nelson DeMille

Postby Penitent » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:58 pm

Another “solid” thriller author. I have heard a lot of good about him and some critics too.
I have read two “The Charm School” that I loved and “Up Country” that was a so-so travelogue of Vietnam

Below is my opinion on “The Charm School”

DeMille delivers a solid book staged in the Soviet Union. Having been there several times I can share that the sense of place is outstanding, you are transported there. The plot is original and suspenseful and the pace tight and tense. It will keep you interested till the wee hours of the morning.

Let us know what you have read from Nelson!
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Nelson DeMille

Postby bayside » Sat May 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Nelson DeMille has two hard hitting books about Libya, and Libyan terrorists, that are absolutely outstanding. The first is THE LIONS GAME, and the second is THE LION. In the first, written in 2000, he practically predicted terrorists using commercial aircraft to destroy buildings in New York. His main character, John Carey is smart, sarcastic, and a non-conformist living in a world of pedantic bureaucrats.
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Postby johnrogers » Sun May 15, 2011 4:17 pm

I am glad I read your post I have never read Nelson DeMille but you have tweaked my interest - Let me ask you a question about his books - are they standalones or is it a series and should be read in a proper order?I will do a little research myself and thanks for the post
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby bayside » Sun May 15, 2011 11:18 pm

Hello,
That's kind of difficult to answer. Three of his books, The General's Daughter, The Charm School, and Up Country, are definitely stand alones. His last two, The Lions Game, and The Lion, should probably be read in that order to get the full effect of his story. The protagonist, John Carey, however, is in most of his other novels. To get the feel for DeMille's style of sarcasm and cynicism, as it relates to a burnt-out NYC detective, you might want to first read, The Gold Coast. Most of his books are about New England, and specifically, Long Island. Others of the same genre you might look for are, Plum Island, Nightfall, Windfall, Spencerville, and The Gatehouse. Thanks for your reply. At my age, reading is my #2 pastime (after sleeping), and I am always delighted when someone recommends a new author.
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Postby johnrogers » Mon May 16, 2011 10:12 am

Hi Bayside

Thank's for the information.By the way the book you are reading or have just read the Sunbird is by far my favourite WS standalone - serious I loved that book - treasure,lost cities in the jungle,secret caves,what more could you ask for.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby annagram » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:31 pm

bayside wrote:Nelson DeMille has two hard hitting books about Libya, and Libyan terrorists, that are absolutely outstanding. The first is THE LIONS GAME, and the second is THE LION. In the first, written in 2000, he practically predicted terrorists using commercial aircraft to destroy buildings in New York. His main character, John Carey is smart, sarcastic, and a non-conformist living in a world of pedantic bureaucrats.

These are his best books in my opinion.
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby annagram » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:16 am

He has a new one out now - "The Panther", which I am currently reading. Not nearly as good as "Lion's Gate" or "The Lion". Things are moving much too slowly.
annagram

Postby annagram » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:22 am

Finally finished "Panther". It was okay but it drags in the middle.
annagram

Return to Other Authors