The Recommendation List!

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Re: The Recommendation List!

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:29 pm

I recently picked up George R. R. Martin's "A Song of Ice & Fire" series - fabulous books! I'm less than a third of the way through and I already know I'll love the series. I read for about 4 hours last night, couldn't stop turning the pages! Has anyone else here read his work?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby chookie » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:32 pm

I like the books by Ken Follet and Bernard Cornwell.
Both authours are good to read.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby Pontius » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:39 pm

2 of my favorite authors are:

Jack London London's books are extremely fascinating in my mind. In many ways his writing can be compared to Wilbur Smith in the way he describes nature and people.

and

Roald Dahl. Dahl wrote a lot of children books like "Charlie and the chocolate factory" but he has written lots of books and short stories for adults too. If you want to laugh aloud then read "Uncle Oswald". Also his 2 autobiographies are highly recommended as he lived a life like one of Wilbur's typical characters.

One author I have not yet read but plan reading soon is "Ernest Hemingway"
Pontius

Postby Matbow » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:53 pm

Most of the books I read are those that have been recommended to me by someone I know/family/a forum member. That got me thinking - we should have a definitive list of our recommended authors!

So, if you guys want to post two or three of your favourite authors, with a (very) brief description of their genre/style I (or one of the mods) will add it to this post.

I think it's fair to say there's no need to mention Wilbur Smith or JK Rowling - we all know about them already!

Recommended Authors!

- Phillip Pullman; fantasy - aimed at young adults, but popular with adults too. "His Dark Materials" trilogy is a prize winning series and is being adapted into a film starring Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. More info here

- James Clavell; historical fiction primarily set in the Far East. Epics!

- Jeff Gulvin; little known author writing crime thrillers. Amazing detail and factual content. Complex, twisting plots.

- Ken Follet; Thriller. WWII, historical fiction.

- Bernard Cornwell; Historical Fiction.

- Daniel Silva; Spy Thriller. Primary focus on the Israeli/Palestinian issue.

- Minette Walters; Psychological Crime Detectory thingies.

- Stephen King; Horror, thrillers

- H.G. Wells; Science Fiction, Thriller, Drama.

- Jack London; London's books are extremely fascinating in my mind. In many ways his writing can be compared to Wilbur Smith in the way he describes nature and people.

- Roald Dahl; Dahl wrote a lot of children books like "Charlie and the chocolate factory" but he has written lots of books and short stories for adults too. If you want to laugh aloud then read "Uncle Oswald". Also his 2 autobiographies are highly recommended as he lived a life like one of Wilbur's typical characters.

“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby dtietens » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:59 am

Hi all,

I as well felt, after reading all WS books, "what now...???".
As I am hooked on the African continent. I started to read a bit more non-fiction on the African Continent.

Good (history - but readable) books about South Africa and its people are:
Commando; Deneys Reitz - A Boer Journal of the Boer War (1903)
The Great Trek; Oliver Ransford - 1835-1854 period of the Boermove from the Cape to the inlands of RSA (1972)
J.C. Smuts, a Study in Arrogance; H.C. Armstrong - Biografie of Jan Smuts while he was still alive(1937)

The fiction crime-books of Deon Meyer are good as well.

Hope it helps
dtietens

Currently Reading: Karin Brynard, Onse vaders

Postby Miss read it » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Mary Mackey ~ The Earthsong Trilogy: 1.The Year the Horses Came 2.The Horses at the Gate 3.The Fires of Spring also her stand alone novel The Last Warrior Queen.

Sue Harrison~ The Carver Trilogy: 1.Mother Earth Father Sky 2. My Sister the Moon 3.Brother Wind

Morgan Llywelyn:Red Branch

James Alexander Thom:Follow the River

Ken Follett: A Place called Freedom ... Dangerous Fortune....Jackdaws...Lie down with Lions....I love Ken Follett!

and also the ECSeries by Jean Auel
Miss_Read_It
§☼♦If you don't like how things are, change it! You're not a tree.~Jim Rohn♦☼§ ‬‬‫٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶‬.
Miss read it

Currently Reading: blue horizon

Re: Nicholas Guild

Postby poneeboy53 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Mr de Kok wrote:
Penitent wrote:try to read 1. The Assyrian and 2. the sequence novel "the blood star" both by Nicholas Guild.
You will not regret it.
And I am not making this statement lightly !!

Just finished the Assyrian. It was a good read the only negative I drew from it was the fact it was a little bit of a downer. The writing and story itself were really good and am looking forward to the Blood Star which from ratings I have seen may be better than the Assyrian.
poneeboy53

Currently Reading: Golden Fox

Postby johnrogers » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Stiegg Larrson without a doubt.The Millenium Series

The Girl With The Golden Tattoo
The Girl Who Played With Fire
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornetts Nest

Fantastic Reading =D>
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby tedd » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:09 am

dtietens wrote:Hi all,

I as well felt, after reading all WS books, "what now...???".
As I am hooked on the African continent. I started to read a bit more non-fiction on the African Continent.

Good (history - but readable) books about South Africa and its people are:
Commando; Deneys Reitz - A Boer Journal of the Boer War (1903)
The Great Trek; Oliver Ransford - 1835-1854 period of the Boermove from the Cape to the inlands of RSA (1972)
J.C. Smuts, a Study in Arrogance; H.C. Armstrong - Biografie of Jan Smuts while he was still alive(1937)

The fiction crime-books of Deon Meyer are good as well.

Hope it helps

For some more satisfying Africana try Keith Meadows "Sand in the Wind" (Fiction) & "Sometimes when it Rains" (non-f)
Al;so Wolhuter "Memories of a Game Ranger" (you'll see where WS gets some of his ideas from) and Clark's "Autobiography of an Old Drifter" and Selous's "travel and Adventure in S_E Africa". That should keep you occupied!!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Spock » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:14 pm

I mentioned this non-fiction book in my introduction.

"Scouting on Two Continents" by Frederick Russell Burnham.

He scouted in the Old West then followed Rhodes' clarion call to Africa and was in both Matebele Wars.

Prospected throughout and was in the Klondike when Lord Roberts asked him to be his Chief of Scouts in the Boer War.

Was with Lord Baden-Powell at some point and Powell used him as an inspiration for the Boy Scouts.

I believe any fan of WS would like this book.
Spock

Currently Reading: The Flight of the Falcon

Postby ddeeanderson » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:04 am

I cant' believe no one has put Conn Iggulden down as one of their favorites. If you have not read his stuff then you are seriously missing out. I would put him in the same class as WS without a doubt. He has two epic series out. One is about the life of Genghis Khan from birth to death and then his decendents. There are 4 in the series so far with more to come. The first book is called Wolf of the Plains[b]. The second series is about Julius Ceasar again from birth to death. You will not be dissapointed. Just a warning these books are much like WS books and you will stay up too late reading them and be tired at work the next day. Sorry the first Ceasar series is called [b]The Gates of Rome enjoy these books when your not reading WS!!!!
ddeeanderson

Currently Reading: Warlock

Postby HammerDown » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Bartle Bull books.
HammerDown

Currently Reading: The Burning Shore

Previous

Return to Other Authors