William Golding (The Lord of the Flies)

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

William Golding (The Lord of the Flies)

Postby Penitent » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:45 pm

This book has been widely discussed and read, regarded as classic and worth of a Nobel Prize for William Golding. For some reason I had my reserves about it, I do with most "classics", but I decided to read it anyway. Even though is haunting and beautifully written; I was left with the feeling that this was just a novel of kids stranded on a desert island that could have been much better. And most of the critic to human nature and society is just a lot of hype.

Other opinions?
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Ems » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:38 pm

For my English Literature GCSE I had to study Lord of the Flies. We read it a million times and we did a lot of essay topics on it from the major themes in the book to analysing all the chapters. I got sick of it after a year and I'm not reading it again. I think the book had too many morals about society in it, I wouldn't like it as a sit down and read the story book.
Ems

Postby Penitent » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:28 pm

EMS, welcome to the forum by the way.

I think it can be read just as a novel. But there are a lot of interpretations out there that try to see too much.
I enjoyed it as an entertainment. there are a couple of films based on it that are not bad either.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:03 pm

I really liked this book just as astory but ive since tried to reread it and found it impossible to do so . I dont really like analysing plot htemes etc tho so I can see why ems isntreading it again its abit of a disappointment to me because i love rereading books many of my favourites are well into double figures.
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Ada » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:01 pm

I don't like being told to analyse a story either. My sister once copped Lord of the Flies for school/study & I once got Charles Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities. All I can remember (besides hating it), is still (bloody) knitting and lots of people getting their heads chopped off.

How many books have been ruined for readers from having to "analyse" them at school?

I have since read Oliver Twist & once I got used to the writing style, quite liked it. Therefore Dickens hasn't been entirely ruined for me.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Return to Other Authors