George R.R. Martin

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

George R.R. Martin

Postby Monsoon » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:28 am

Blimey it's not very often a book actually effects the way i feel for the rest of the day, but the one i am reading just now is so powerful it's leaving me stunned. I have gone into a deep melancholy over one particular scene which i still can't believe happened.
This is the series 'A song of ice and fire' and i'm on Book 3 - 'A storm of swords'.
Not that i shouldn't have expected it because there have been several occasions where i found i had put the books down and was staring at the wall in stunned disbelief.
These books are arguably the best i have ever read and Martin builds a wonderful plot with terrific characters, it is no wonder HBO have taken up the rights and are going to film it as a series. I hope they do it justice and judging from their track record they might just succeed.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Penitent » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:24 am

I'm not a fantasy reader, but I make an exception with George. I agree, his books are great!
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Monsoon » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:19 pm

Well i've just finished 'Storm of Swords' and i am totally blown away! So many great characters, so much plotting, intrigue, sex, incest, injustice and revenge.
'A Feast for Crows' is the next book in the series but i will wait until the winter to read it so i can savour the wait. Besides it needs to be read when it is cold outside and i am reading next to a lovely fire - but i've just remembered i don't have a fireplace anymore :cry:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Re: George R.R. Martin

Postby Nefer » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:30 pm

I've started (and finished) this series and O.M.G.

Totally shocked by all the twists and deaths! I can sympathise with the emotions expressed here about the series. Just when you think things are finally working out for a character - POOF. He kills them off!
Spoiler:
Right now, the only characters left that I like are Jon Snow, his half sister (forget her name right now - the one he gave Needle to) and the princess with the Dragons. Although I wasn't always sure about her. Oh and Cersei's brother - but I wasn't totally shocked by his transformation. I surely wasn't expecting Rob Starke to die. Poor kid.

If he ever publishes the next book I will be shocked - it's a competition between him and Auel to see who will get to the presses first! Although with Martin involved in the show (I read he's writing at least one epi per season) we may get his book first.

Can't believe I waited to long to act on this recommendation! #-o
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nosinra » Sun May 02, 2010 8:52 am

There is rarely an autor who writes a book, or series, that is worthy of a movie or tv series.
i cant wait for a dance with dragons to come out!
I read the whole series in less than half a year & it was awesome!!!
With George you never know when someone is gona kick the bucket, its a riveting read!
Is it true theyre making a tv series???
Nosinra

Currently Reading: River god

Postby Nefer » Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Yes, I read it on the author's blog. So now it's a wait and see game as to when the show airs. I agree with you, this will be an AMAZING show!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:46 am

I am not familiar with this series but I will do a little research today to learn more of them.You have tweaked my interest to read them - they obviously were very powerful and had a effect on.Reading Wilbur Smith does the same to me - affects my whole day sometimes - Not many books have the power to do that and thats what I am looking for in abook
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby Matbow » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:00 pm

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2 ... iler-.html

HBO trailer for this. Must read these books...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Who'se excited for the premiere of the the HBO series this weekend!? I'm so happy to have a new show to watch, hope it doesn't disappoint!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:15 pm

Nefer wrote:Who'se excited for the premiere of the the HBO series this weekend!? I'm so happy to have a new show to watch, hope it doesn't disappoint!

Me! But I don't have HBO :(
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Netflix? Or other more dastardly means...
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:31 am

I was impressed by the first episode! Especially by how true to the book the adaption was.

As with all film adaptations, it's always interesting to see how the characters appearance differed from my imagination:

Tyrion - I did not picture him being as good looking! I guess that will change though...
Catelyn - I did not think she was as old/haggard looking.
Sansa/Daenerys - looked at lot older. In the case of Emilia Clarke (Daenerys) I guess this was for the nudity/sex scenes.
Viserys and Joffrey - kinda creepy looking!

Based on the first episode, I'm really thinking that HBO could do a great job of a Wilbur Smith book...

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:19 pm

I have to agree, based on the first episode this series is going to be a cracker!

I really didn't like the casting for Catelyn either - she's not at all how I pictured her. But, the actress has me convinced in her role.

Isn't Jon Snow blond? And Tyrion has the bi-coloured eyes... I'm nit-picking, I know... Also, I thought Bran was Arya at first, he does not look like a 10 year old boy. I was impressed with the Wall though.

I convinced my very reluctant brother to sit down and watch the first episode with me and he's dully impressed (he thought it was going to be some silly fantasy) and as it started he got drawn in. He hasn't read the books so it'll be interesting to get his perspective on it.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:30 am

I finally started these books and WOW... Gods be good, but I'm addicted! I first watched several episodes of Game of Thrones and then became convinced I should read the books first. Now I'm halfway through the third book and at the beginning of the second season of Game of Thrones.

@John: did you ever get into these books? If not: do! Yes, it has fantasy elements, but far less than Terry Goodkind novels for instance.

@Nefer: there is a MAJOR spoiler in your 2009 post :). One that I didn't want to know yet ;)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Matbow » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:09 am

E-Hoog wrote:I finally started these books and WOW... Gods be good, but I'm addicted! I first watched several episodes of Game of Thrones and then became convinced I should read the books first. Now I'm halfway through the third book and at the beginning of the second season of Game of Thrones.

@John: did you ever get into these books? If not: do! Yes, it has fantasy elements, but far less than Terry Goodkind novels for instance.

@Nefer: there is a MAJOR spoiler in your 2009 post :). One that I didn't want to know yet ;)

I edited Nefer's post to hide the spoiler.

I actually stopped watching the TV series after the 3rd or 4th episode because it was bugging me a bit; the acting was a bit hammy and the special effects came across as a little cheap. I had only just read the books as well, so it was like reading the same book again. Maybe I'll give it another go over the winter.

As for the books, and I probably mentioned this before, even though I love them the fact each chapter is from a different persons point of view really bugs me!

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:49 pm

E-Hoog wrote:@Nefer: there is a MAJOR spoiler in your 2009 post :). One that I didn't want to know yet ;)

:shock: :oops:

I'm so sorry, thanks Matt for fixing it for me.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:07 am

Matbow wrote:
I actually stopped watching the TV series after the 3rd or 4th episode because it was bugging me a bit; the acting was a bit hammy and the special effects came across as a little cheap. I had only just read the books as well, so it was like reading the same book again. Maybe I'll give it another go over the winter.

As for the books, and I probably mentioned this before, even though I love them the fact each chapter is from a different persons point of view really bugs me!

It probably helped that I saw (a few episodes of) the show before I read the books. That way I already had all the characters in my head (how they look). But I still like the show a lot :)

For me, the fact that each chapter is from a different person is a big pro. That way you really get all the aspects of the story. And it also helps you see the point of view of some of the 'bad guys'. Now, I really like Tyrion and even Jaime (shame on me, etc.) even though they did some horrible things. And the fact that Martin is able to portray all these characters in their own way is astonishing to me. Very well done!

Spoiler:
On a different note, and related to Nefer's earlier spoiler: I'm now just past the point where Robb and Catelyn are murdered. What... the... !@##. I almost couldn't eat dinner after that. I was too shocked. In fact, if I didn't know it was coming somewhere along the line I might've had a pretty bad day :). I was very close to smashing my e-reader to pieces...
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:17 pm

I'm glad my spoiler saved you from wrecking your e-reader! Lol
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby E-Hoog » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:55 am

Nefer wrote:I'm glad my spoiler saved you from wrecking your e-reader! Lol

It sure did :). I've finally gotten the courage to read further after my, er, mishap. It's still good :)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:39 am

Btw, if you want to have a good laugh: watch the Red Wedding videos on YouTube where people are being filmed while they are watching the episode of the Red Wedding. It's hilarious :D
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Return to Other Authors