Tad Williams

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Tad Williams

Postby Penitent » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:26 am

Fantasy and science fiction author. He has several series published. I have only read the first volume of the “Otherland” series “City of Golden Shadow” having to do with a frightening virtual network. Something like internet on steroids. I found it interesting, and I have volume two on my reading list.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Monsoon » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:59 pm

Have read the 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' series, also the short story 'Child of an Ancient city'.
I like Tad well enough but he is not up amongst my favourites, i also find he can be overly descriptive and still not set the scene too well.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Matbow » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:53 pm

Have we mentioned the otherland series somewhere else here? It rings a bell, but I've no idea where from!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Monsoon » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:33 pm

Matbow wrote:Have we mentioned the otherland series somewhere else here? It rings a bell, but I've no idea where from!

Yep we sure have;
http://www.blurbal.com/wilbursmith/viewtopic.php?t=42&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

I think Bee and myself touched upon it somewhere aswell, not sure where though.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:38 pm

Yep, and I stand by my earlier comments - long, but if you have the time, get through them.

Otherwise read the last book, it has a great synopsis and you can get to the bottom of the puzzle a lot faster!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Penitent » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:35 pm

Maybe I should have done that! I read the first one, and it is good, but it does not provide any answers.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:05 pm

Be prepared for that with all the other books - I actually skipped entire chapters in the middle books as I found them pointless.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Penitent » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:19 pm

Nefer,

Keep saying those things and you'll be talking out of the series :) . After all, there are so many other things to read out there.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Monsoon » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:39 pm

nefer said:
Otherwise read the last book, it has a great synopsis and you can get to the bottom of the puzzle a lot faster!

Is this actually possible?
I've often thought about starting this series but i've always rejected the idea, but to read the last book now that might be quite a radical thing to do. I suppose if i really loved it i could go back and treat the first books as a prequel..mmm..

Monsoon
Founder Member

Return to Other Authors