C S Lewis

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

C S Lewis

Postby Penitent » Tue May 01, 2007 6:48 pm

“Chronicles of Narnia” and several Christian texts.
Contemporary and friend of Tolkien they created their fantastic worlds at the same time. Everyone else came after them…
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby delby » Wed May 02, 2007 12:16 pm

I loved the Lion the witch and the wardrobe as a child but never got into any of the others
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

C.S. Lewis

Postby Ada » Mon May 21, 2007 6:39 pm

I have a well worn full paperback boxed set of The Complete Chronicles of Narnia. I have loved these books ever since I first discovered The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe when I was about 11 and was delighted when I learned there were 7 books in the series. I am aware of the religious connection but I have never read them with that in mind. They have always just been children's fantasy books to me and I suspect that's all they've been to most people. I was apprehensive when I learned they made some of the books into a TV series many years ago. If the lion hadn't been done well it could have been disastrous. Considering when they were made and with an obviously low budget, I thought they did a pretty good job of Aslan. (Some of the other animals' costumes were a bit dodgy but I don't care. I also thought their choice of child actors for the main characters was very good too. (Tom Baker of Dr. Who and more recently, Little Britain fame, played a character called Puddleglum in The Silver Chair. He was also well cast.) When she was young, we bought my eldest daughter the VHS copies of the series. They only made 4 and thankfully made them in England. Much to my delight, I received the DVD set of The Chronicles of Narnia Collector's Edition last year for my birthday. It has been presented very nicely and has numerous extras on it including a Cast Reunion of some of the actors who play the children.

I didn't go and see the latest movie version of The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe last year. According to my kids, it wasn't as good as the above mentioned TV series. I don't know if they changed the story in the new movie but I believe the main reason the original series was so good was that they stuck to the stories in the books and didn't change anything. It's the old book vs. the film thing again. In this case it seems "old" although daggy, is better.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby memnon » Sun May 27, 2007 2:01 pm

I've read all seven books of The Chronicles of Narnia and i remember that once i started the books of Pellerania but i never had the chance of finishing them. but the part that i read was very interesting.
But i prefer Tolkien, obviusly. He's the BEST, and WS off course
Earth, wind, water and fire... But of all four, the master is the fire
memnon

Re: C S Lewis

Postby Ballantyne » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:30 pm

I simply adore the Narnia books. I started in primary school having bought The Lion... and went on to own them all. lol
I now live close to where C.S. Lewis was born and grew up, though have never seen the house, myself. There are tours which go there, though.
There's also a sculpture showing a wardrobe and (I think) Digory as an adult who is peeking into the wardrobe. And very close to that is a gorgeous mural showing C.S. Lewis on one side and Aslan on the other.
"She gabbled meaningless replies to her father's questions and tried to lead him towards the door, but it was like trying to divert a bull elephant from his set purpose. Inexorably, Sean bore down upon the discarded knickers and the canvas where Mark cowered.

At his next step, the silk wrapped itself around the toe of his boot. The material was so filmy and light that he did not notice it, and he limped on happily, one foot draped in an exotic piece of feminine underwear, while the two young people watched in abject terror the knickers' slow circuit of the room."
Ballantyne

Currently Reading: The Leopard Hunts In Darkness

Return to Other Authors