Lee Child

We're not just about Wilbur Smith!

Lee Child

Postby delby » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:26 am

I recently discovered the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child courtesy of my father in law ( another wilburite)
and I have to say that Ive never been this exited by a character since Ralph Ballantyne or Sean snr.

An ex military police investigator turned nomad Jack Reacher has all of the masculine fierceness of a Wilbur heroe he always gets the girl and the bad guys and even though I know this Im still on the edge of my seat as to what he will do next ,

The first book in the series is called killing floor and its got a big thumbs up from me Im not reading them in order just picking them up here and there but if you like crime action or just plain old good guy gets bad guy then lee child is the man for you .
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Re: Lee Child

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:25 pm

I have recently read the first two novels in Lee Childs Jack Reacher series.There are a total of 14 books in the series and they can each be read as a stand alone however I prefer to read series in the proper sequence there are a few things that meld into each other I am sure. [b11]

Enjoyed them so far an easy read and I would rate them a 7 out of 10 to date I will readjust after I read a few more.If your looking for a good thriller mystery go for you will enjoy Lee Child \:D/
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby tedd » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:24 pm

See Tom Cruise 170 cms is playing Jack Reacher 196 cms in a new film - sort of spoils the effect doesn't it?
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:49 pm

Hey Tedd I read something about that somewhere today a lot of die hard Jack Reacher fans are not identifying with (pip squeak) Tom Cruise as the 6 ft 5 Jack Reacher.You know I would like to read a few more Lee Child/Jack Reacher novels I have only read the first two in the series and would like to continue the series - in fact it was you who suggested Lee Child to me a year or so ago
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby annagram » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:39 am

I am ambivalent about Tom Cruise. I have liked some of his movies - "Rainman" in particular and loathed some others like "Eyes Wide Shut" but Hollywood can make a pip squeak look tall. Don't know if you are old enough to remember Alan Ladd but he was very short (shorter than Tom I think) and you would never have known it from his movies like Shane", one of my all time favorite movies.

I am going to put Jack Reacher books on my list at the library - hope they come in large print :D
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Postby annagram » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:48 am

Okay - I have put three of Lee Child's books on my waiting list at the library - large print!!!! These are the earliest books they have -"The Persuader" from 2003, "One Shot" from 2005 and "The Hard Way" from 2006. I'll let you know what I think - I am sure you will all be waiting on pins and needles for my review :D
annagram

Postby johnrogers » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Funny you mention Alan Ladd,and yes I recall him very well,mostly from his western movies that were the rage in the 50s and 60s.When I was a little boy growing up I think thats all I did was play cowboys and indians with my buddies from next door and down the street. Somewhere in the 80s I went on a Universal Movie Studio tour,part of the tour was an old western town movie set where the doors on the facade of the Saloon were very low,and the the tour guide explained that the Saloon doors were made smaller to make the actor look larger,and in fact I believe the movie star he referred to was Alan Ladd.So they build the movie sets to fit the actor.No negative meaning referring to Tom Cruise " pipsqueak " with 278 million in the bank ( har har),he is great action figure actor,but I think the die hard Jack Reacher fans have a different visualization of who what Jack Reacher looks like in there minds eys,and Tom is not that,and the public (you and I) know Tom Cruise is quite small in stature.Jack Reacher is a big man in his book,six foot five - I think there complaint is that they do not perceive Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher and it is just a poor casting choice.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi johnrogers and others - yes it was pretty well known at the time that Alan Ladd wore 'elevator shoes/boots' even off-screen and also that the film scenes were arranged so that he was not shown standing near taller people (especially the females) so that height comparisons could not be made. But he was a good actor and played some good parts - particularly the westerns
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 pm

Got to tell you Tedd my youth years were spent watching western everything from Roy Rogers to Gene Autry to the Rifleman,Bonanza,Palladin,etc etc.There must have been 50 tv shows that were Westerns.Loved the Lone Ranger and Tonto.Saturday was a big day in the 50s off to see the Saturday matinee at the movie theater 25 cents,you got a few movies.a couple of cartoons and an expert from a serial movie.The movies were mostly westerns.My grandmother spoiled me rotten and took me to the local 5 and dime store on a regular basis,I think I had every plastic toy set of 6 shooters and rifles and sheriff badges in my collection.Sure had a lot of fun and I thought I was pretty cool strutting my stuff around town with my new 6 shooters and holster.

Hey wait a minute maybe I should have auditioned for the Jack Reacher part ( har har ) take care
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby annagram » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:01 am

.......and don't forget Superman and Tarzan - there was a movie theater near us that only cost a dime to get in. They had serials like Tarzan and Superman every Sat. afternoon.
annagram

Postby johnrogers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:34 pm

The Saturday Afternoon Movie Matinee
I so remember Tarzan played by Jonny Weissmuller,the serial would end with Tarzan swinging on a vine on to his latest peril but would leave you hanging to see the outcome at the movie theatre next week.I have a very vivid and clear memory of the Saturday Matinee's in the 1950s,they were a big event in the life of a kid in the 50s if you were lucky enough to go and see them.I recall one matinee there were a couple of cartoons to start it up,then either the main movie and a serial short to end it.At the movie theatre I went to they also had audience participation about half way thru the matinee.The theatre manager would stand on the stage and pick 10 or so lucky kids out of the audience,they would all walk to and get on the stage and participate in some event with the winner walking off with a prize.One time a little girl who sat right behind me at the movie theatre got called up to stage.The object was each kid standing on stage was given a handful of crackers,they had to eat the crackers onstage and the first one who could whistle won the prize.Well this little girl who sat behind me in the theatre won the BIG prize which was a whole box of chocolates.She came down off the stage got back in her seat,the movie restarted and I sat there envious as I have ever been in my life wishing it was me who had that box of chocolates sitting on my lap in the movie theatre - never forgot that for some reason or the other.

Anyway got the Jack Reacher bug now thanks to Tedd and his post so have downloaded book # 3 Tripwire in the series to read - by the way folks there are 16 books written by Lee Child that comprises the Jack Reacher Series
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Mon May 27, 2013 11:53 am

Jack Reacher - The Movie starring Tom Cruise

My wife and I sat down and watched this movie via video on demand on our home theatre system.I have got to say I was not expecting much but was amazed at how good a movie this was,very true to form and it really had a Lee Child feel to it,very hard to do in the translation from book to movie,but they mastered this I was quite taken back how good it was.Tom Cruise did an excellent job of acting out the character "Jack Reacher" in fact he did the character justice,however I had a hard time visualizing Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in appearance as to how I perceived Reacher when reading a Lee Child - Jack Reacher novel..If you have not seen it and you read Lee Child,you should watch the movie,you will enjoy it.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:58 am

Hi JohnRogers - have just seen the Jack Reacher film for the first time. I have to agree with you - Tom Cruise made a very good Reacher - in fact if he had been 6 feet 6 inches as in the books the majority of the villains would have turned and ran before attacking him. Have anymore Reacher films been made?
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby tedd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:27 am

Hi johnrogers - I see there's another Reacher film on the go - "Never go Back". I'll be looking forward to it. Very quiet on this forum - I think the interlopers have put everybody off!!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:51 pm

Hi Tedd great to hear from you,hope all is well by you.Yes I am in to watch another Tom Cruise,Jack Reacher movie.Not sure how Cruise pulled it off but as far as I am concerned he did a great job,the movie really had a Jack Reacher - Lee Child feel to it,and that is a difficult transition to go from book to movie and make it worthy.
I have been obsessed with the US election and the presidential run for the last 15 months,in fact it has pretty much taken over my life I can not believe the American public has allowed this to happen.My god Tedd where are the women of America they should be standing by Hillary Clinton the first woman President of the United States,an historical moment for sure.
I am wondering what is your opinion about what is going on in this world right now,Russia,Syria,Iran etc,I am concerned.
If you like drop me an email I would love to hear what your take is on the state of the world and the USA election

Email [email protected]
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Return to Other Authors