I Have Just finished First two Books In The Series

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Ballantyne series

I Have Just finished First two Books In The Series

Postby johnrogers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:02 pm

Hello Forum - I am stunned,bewildered,and beholding.This was the greatest adventure I have ever been part of.God be to Wilbur Smith, you are my Guiding Light and hope through the maze of life.You bring me hope,faith,and charity.My respesct for you Wilbur is eternal an unblemished.Wilbur,I hold my head very low,and I thank you for the wonderment and information,and pleasure you have given to me.I trully love you Wilbur for your writings are greater than the largest Diamond in Kimberly,greater than which the Lava holds - hello Chooki - hello Matbow/ - hello Ada - hello the dutchman - may God be with ypu - and thank God for Wilbur - JR - Comox - Vancouver Island - British Columbia - Canada
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Re: I Have Just finished First two Books In The Series

Postby Nefer » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm glad you like the series!

I really enjoy the first 3 books, the last one, not so much. Can't wait for your reviews of the end of the series :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:08 pm

Nefer wrote:I'm glad you like the series!

I really enjoy the first 3 books, the last one, not so much. Can't wait for your reviews of the end of the series :)
Hi Nefer - as my poor me syndrome - I am on the ballantyne series - like a fat kid on a smartie - Nefer - the series puts to on a plne that I can not understand - I love it so much - I have read the Courtenay series - I have read the Egyption series - I am now reading Angels Weep - Nefer - of course you remember the original Staetrek series or perhaps you remember Rod Serling and his Twilight Zone series on tv - Well,Nefer as I devour Wilburs books - Nefer - Wilbur sends me on a trip so hard to explain,and so easy to understand - take care oh Nefer - John Rogers - Comox- BC - Canada
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Nefer wrote:I'm glad you like the series!

Nefer - I am half way thru the fourth book in the Ballyntyne series - really had to work hard to keep my bearings in the first 100 pages or so - I have now locked in and I am enjoying it very much so far will report at the end
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Peter Russ » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Good to see another British Columbian in the forum, I'm a Vancouverite through and through
Peter Russ

Currently Reading: The Burning Shore

Postby E-Hoog » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:09 am

I always remembered the ballantyne books as second best to the courtneys by a long shot. Now though, I don't know. I really loved them this time around (just reread the first three; now on leopard). The way he portrays the different perspectives on all that happened in Matabeleland is quite stunning. I never appreciated that before. At the risk of alienating some people,I feel that as I grow older (31 now..., started reading WS at 16 or so), that my view on the books changes a lot! I didn't like centaine at all this time round, for instance (reread the courtneys before the ballantynes). Also, I don't particularly care for all the craig mellow story in angels. In leopard, it is better, but for me this book was unnecessary
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Return to The Ballantynes