Additional books

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Ballantyne series

Additional books

Postby bulet09 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:54 am

Wouldn't it be good if Wilbur moved the Ballantynes through to todays times. It was a an amazing series he wrote.
bulet09

Currently Reading: The Sparrow Falls

Re: Additional books

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:45 pm

I agree! I'd love to read his interpretation of the current Zimbabwe situation in a novel; but he's said in interviews that he will leave it up to younger writers. I think A Time To Die will be the last novel set in 'modern' times. Sad :(
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby delby » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:48 am

I totally agree that it would be great to read more about the ballantynes but as Nefer said Willie stated that he has no desire to write about modern day africa.
Personally I think he's right because one of the themes that comes through so strongly in all of his books is a love of the land he is writing about and i just dont think he feels the same way about new? africa so maybe without that deep feeling a newtime ballantyne or courtney might not have the old king willie magic.
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby Fanti » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:37 pm

Just finished wiht the whole Ballantyne series. (Three weeks with intens reading :D ) I was a litte disapointed that Craig got Kings Lynn back. It was to much of a "happy ending". I feel that The Angels Weep was a better ending of the whole saga.

If Wilbur Smith should write a book from the 2000s it might as well have to be about the land reform once again taking away the Ballantyne/Mellow farms. Too much similarity to the last book. I believe any additional books should instead cover Johnathan Ballantynes life between Angels Weeps first and second part.
Fanti

Currently Reading: The burning shore

Postby johnrogers » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:05 am

Fanti wrote:Just finished wiht the whole Ballantyne series. (Three weeks with intens reading :D ) I was a litte disapointed that Craig got Kings Lynn back. It was to much of a "happy ending". I feel that The Angels Weep was a better ending of the whole saga.

If Wilbur Smith should write a book from the 2000s it might as well have to be about the land reform once again taking away the Ballantyne/Mellow farms. Too much similarity to the last book. I believe any additional books should instead cover Johnathan Ballantynes life between Angels Weeps first and second part.

I so envy you being a first time reader of Wilbur Smith novels - but oh yeah ! - What a dream it would be to see the series move in to modern times
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Return to The Ballantynes