39%
13%
9%
1 - pathetic attempt at literature
No votes

Total votes : 23

Reviews of "The Leopard Hunts in Darkness"

Postby Nefer » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:31 pm

Not sure where WS was going with this book. I was expecting more Ballantyne characters, and instead I'm supposed to have sympathy for a writer of fiction by the name of Craig Mellon who shares many commonalities with the author who created him.

Hmm.

I remember thinking the book didn't have a very satisfying conclusion, but then again I read it a long time ago (common theme here, eh?) so I'm not sure. I do remember that I thought it was one of the worse WS books, but I want to re-read all the Ballantynes again before I vote in this all important poll.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Phils_jd » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:07 pm

Yeah - hes a grandson or great grandson of Harry and Vicky - I sort of agree with you but I re read it about 2 years ago and found it OK, not use to the lead characters being so un Sean like. I reckon its a 2 or 3. I picked 2 cause Im reading A Sparrow Falls now
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:14 am

I'm afraid i have to agree with Nefer and Phil, this book never really sucked me in and it was all a bit bland really. The Mellow man was not exactly a great lead character either.
Not sure how to vote on this one, a 2 would be a bit stingy and 3 would be too generous. Think i might be stingy.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby sriramna » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:19 pm

I thought it wa sone of the best books by WS going around - particularly if you read it contemporaneously as it were, during the halcyon days of Robert Mugabe.

The characters were better shaped and nicely delineated.

The chase across the desert is as nail-biting as they get - and the gritty realism cannot be bettered.

For some reason, the novels which were set in post-independent Zimbabwe have really gripped me, so Time to Die and Leopard Hunts in Darkness are really up there in my list...

I give it a 5
sriramna

Postby Phils_jd » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:20 pm

your right the chase across the desert was pretty good
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:01 pm

I'm looking forward to reading this now, sounds interesting...maybe in a few months time I'll get around to it (I'm rationing my 4 remaining WS books).

And Hi sriramna...glad to see you here :mrgreen:
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:33 pm

Well I completed my Ballantyne oddessy.

All I can say is what the bleep was I thinking?! The book was amazing!! Gripping! Page-turner! I must have never gotten past the first 1/4 the last time I read the book.

I know I've already said this, but the book seemed very real & felt authentic. It also has a happy ending - which I also approve of!

4/5! (I feel like I've been giving too many 100%'s lately!)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:35 pm

I read this a couple of weeks ago and I'm sure I posted a review of it somewhere, but I have no idea where! Does anyone remember me saying it was like the Ballantyne version of "A time to Die"?! If so I'm not going mad!

Yeah, I really liked it too...more contemporary and action filled. 4/5 from me too.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:56 pm

I remember, but God help me, I have no clue where!! :lol: Going senile in our old age, eh, Matt?
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:10 pm

Hey mat, yeah that was me on Oct 23rd on the subject of the ballantynes.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Bids » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:22 am

Just finished the Leopard Hunts and it was awesome. One thing which i found interesting in Wilburs early books. Seems he gets bored with his lead character families. Like in a sparrow falls with Mark Anders stealing the show. Craig Mellow although related takes centre stage. Love it and highly recommend the whole series. Brilliant
Bids

Currently Reading: Sound of Thunder .......2nd time round

Postby Ramon » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:21 am

After a while I could not lay the book down. So intense and exciting.
Ramon
Member+
Member+

Postby Twoscoops » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:45 am

It is so long now since I read this one that I can't remember how I felt about it. I think I would give it a 3 from memory. Sounds like this was the book which was 100% set in the late 20th century, as opposed to the other one which had two-thirds 19th/early 20th Century and one third late 20th century.
Twoscoops

Re: Reviews of "The Leopard Hunts in Darkness"

Postby John R » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:49 am

Finished this one a few weeks back, not one of his best. i recall someone on here (possibly nefer) who said they found it hard to like the main character. and that was my problem, craig was annoying! as was sally-anne. the only good thing about the book was Peter Fungerbera who i thought was a superb character all be it quite similar to China in A Time To Die. I gave this one a 3/5 or...6/10 if you prefer.

Great series by the way! but prob should have ended with Angels weep
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Re: Reviews of "The Leopard Hunts in Darkness"

Postby delby » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:29 am

this is my fave wilbur exept maybe angels
i love the character development especially that craig cant write since he left africa ,,and even though hes not really welcome he tries to stay in his homeland and fight for it admirable i think xx
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Return to The Ballantynes