Just started the Ballantynes No Spoiler thread!

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Ballantyne series

Just started the Ballantynes No Spoiler thread!

Postby audacter » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:13 am

No spoilers in this thread please!!!

I'm surprised to see there aren't many threads here, feeling kinda lonely in this forum right now. :)

I just started this series because I finished the Egypt and the Courtneys (except Triumph). I have read a few pages of A Falcon Flies and so far I like it.

BTW, Did anyone notice it seems there is a new US release of these books? Look on Amazon and there is a US paperback series release for Oct 31. It would have been cheaper for me to wait but I just bought UK books through Amazon partners.
audacter

Postby Nefer » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:48 pm

I'm a big fan of this series (can you tell..? :razz:)

I've had my copies for a loong time, so I haven't noticed new release dates. Wow. Just goes to show how popular the books are!

You will definately like these books - they are a lot more historical & the characters are as always, amazing :)

I have threads started on each book so feel free to post away!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:56 pm

I think I'm going to start "Angels Weep" after I've finished the book I'm currently reading (Nobel House by James Clavell). I'm looking forward to reading a Wilbur - I've a good 4 month break.

I'll be sure to post my thoughts in the appropriate thread :)
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby audacter » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:32 am

So if there is anyone out there on the fence for the Ballantynes, jump with both feet!

I haven't even finished A Falcon Flies yet but I will be done this week, it's a long book (all four are).

For me it is better then some of the Courtney's, I would put in in the top 3-4 I have read and I am at 17 WS books.

Come on!!! Someone post that they started the series. Don't let me think no one is reading these great books. :(
audacter

Postby John R » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:36 am

Go on then audactor, I'll make a start on the Ballantynes, why not! A Falcon Flies is the 1st right? But watch out as i'm quite a slow reader, you might leave me behind lol

Anyone else want to start this series with us??

I'll be posting all my thoughts and opinions in the "A Falcon Flies" thread that Nefer has started. Look forward to comparing or even contrasting opinions! :D
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Twoscoops » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:30 am

They really are super books, and like the Courtneys you feel that you've got years of pleasure ahead of you. I can't remember which one but either Men of Men or Angels Weep is my favourite WS book of the lot.
Twoscoops

Postby Matbow » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:51 am

Well I started Angels Weep over the weekend, shame we all didn't start on the same book at the same time!

I'm enjoying it so far :) As it so long since I read Falcon, I was having issues trying to remember who was related to whom and in what way.

[spoiler]I forgot that that Ralph married his cousin - I was really confused how Robin (his Auntie) was also his wifes mother - then it all clicked! [/spoiler]

The one thing I've discovered is that I can read WS much more quicker than other authors - it took me 2 months to read Gai-Gin and over a month to read Noble House, yet I'm a quarter of a way through Angels after only 2 days!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Matbow » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:57 pm

Well I've just finished this book (Angels Weep) and I have to say...I really liked it!

I found the subject quite uncomfortable (it's essentially about the native Matebale tribes waging war on the White occupiers, with both sides using extremely unethical practises), but written in such a way where you can feel empathy and loathing for both "sides".

I wasn't expecting the book to be separated into two parts, and when it happened I was quite dissapointed (sp?), but it worked really well. Looking forward to reading "Leopard" now...I may even go and buy it tomorrow!

8/10

Matt (off to vote in the Poll now)

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby John R » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:28 am

Just started Falcon flies, and so far so good. Can see a small resemblence (spelling?) to Monsoon oddly enough, just because the start of the book takes place on a ship sailing to Africa. Obviously early days yet (only 40 pages in) but i can see me really enjoying this one.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:46 am

I really liked that book. There's a point in it where you absolutely cannot put it down and you have to read it all the way to the end. So, you're forewarned... :D
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:49 pm

Sounds good! :)
John R
Founder Member

Postby audacter » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:59 pm

WOW, glad to see some are joining in! This will be a cool project, when you finish a book post your thought in the threads started by Nefer, keep this the no the spoiler thread.

OK so I lied, I was planing on finishing the book this week but I only read on planes and I got upgraded on all my flights (lots of free Whiskey and WS don't mix, I would just have to go back and read it again later). I will work more on Falcon this week, I might finish...

Hey I just noticed the stars next to peoples names, did they start rep here? No one has given a lowly new poster like me any. :wink:
audacter

Postby Bids » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:12 am

Hey Guys,

Im reading a falcon flies too. Its interesting. For some reason im not finding it as enjoyable as the Courtney series. The Courtneys really sucked me in. I think once i get over the hurdle of the first book it will become more interesting for me.
Bids

Currently Reading: Sound of Thunder .......2nd time round

Postby Bee » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:29 pm

Bids wrote:Hey Guys,

Im reading a falcon flies too. Its interesting. For some reason im not finding it as enjoyable as the Courtney series. The Courtneys really sucked me in. I think once i get over the hurdle of the first book it will become more interesting for me.

Just keep plugging away at it....
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:02 am

I'm about 200 pages in now, whilst i am enjoying the book, i also think that, so far, it is not as gripping as the Courtney series. Of course, it's early days yet and i am finding it easy to pick up and read, so we'll see how it develops
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bids » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:35 am

[/quote]

Just keep plugging away at it....[/quote]

Cheers for the advice Bee. Now 350 pages through and absolutely loving it.
Bids

Postby John R » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:17 pm

I'm afraid i've deserted you bids, very sorry but i'm now reading River God. I will get back to this series as soon as i've finished that
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bids » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Thtas ok John R. I was seriously thinking of doing the same so i could be up to the new book when it comes out. However like i said above im now loving this book so might just have to stick with it. I am really looking forward to the egyptian series however as a bit of a difference
Bids

Postby Bee » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:24 pm

Bids wrote:

Just keep plugging away at it....[/quote]

Cheers for the advice Bee. Now 350 pages through and absolutely loving it.[/quote]

Yay! I told you! It's a great book. By the way, I just got Angel's Weep as a Secret Santa gift. Totally can't wait to read it. :D <eek>
Bee
Founder Member

Postby audacter » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:08 am

So just an update since I started this thread... It has been slower then I thought, I only read when traveling and it was light the last few months.

I finished A Falcon Flies a great book!!!
Also read Men of Men, at least as good!

Working on The Angels weep... So far so good
audacter

Next

Return to The Ballantynes