Update and Apologies

The place to post published WS articles, interviews etc..

Update and Apologies

Postby Matbow » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:47 pm

Hi Everyone (or at least the few people who will read this!),

When I started this forum I was 23, single and 2 years into my first job - I had pipe dreams of making this site into the next million dollar website, starting with this forum! It wasn't a bad idea (my idea was basically what reddit is today) but I quickly realized that I didn't have the time, money or know-how to really make that happen. Even so, as a Wilbur Smith fan I was happy to create (and run) a place for fans to discuss and find information about Wilbur Smith.

14 years, 1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog, 3 jobs and 3 countries later the site is still here, but the forum is in disrepair and a shadow of its former self. For this I apologize, but as I am sure everyone understands that "life" gets in the way.

Aside from social media taking the place of more formal places like this, the biggest issue is spam - whilst you can't see it, the forum has thousands of spam messages out there that I can see. This is because the forum is running on very old software that needs updating, but that's not an easy or quick task as I'll need the hosting company to update the server software before I can update the forum. As a stop-gap (2+ years ago!) I made it so that new members can't post to the board, meaning that all the spam messages don't appear, but this means that new members can't post. The site is basically a place for the "old members" and a graveyard of old yet useful information.

I don't think I'll ever have the time or desire to really make the forum what it once was so this is basically a goodbye message. The site and forum will remain up indefinitely (I still use the domain for emails) but what the site is today will be what it will be forever more.

Thanks for all the conversations!

Matt

PS - I'd love to know who from the old crew is actually still checking the forum; I'll get notified if people reply to this so feel free to post away!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Re: Update and Apologies

Postby dtietens » Thu May 16, 2019 6:57 am

Thanks for keeping up the forum for so many years !
dtietens

Currently Reading: Karin Brynard, Onse vaders

Postby craigok » Wed May 22, 2019 6:42 pm

It was good while it lasted! Thanks for all your hard work and for making this information available to all us diehard fans!
craigok

Currently Reading: When The Lion Feeds

Postby tedd » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:42 am

I access the site infrequently now Matt as obviously do others - Facebook etc seem to be the popular sites for this type of communication now - WS seems to centre on fb too. You've done a great job over the years and many thanks tedd
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:58 am

To be honest Matbow I check the forum on a regular basis and with great disappointment have not seen any new posts for a very long time.I enjoyed the times when the forum was vibrant and have thought of posting many times but felt a bit foolish being the only one to post.
To you Matbow good luck in your future endeavours and a thousand thank your for your efforts in putting the forum together,I enjoyed it very much and truthfully will miss it.
I have become reading monster,read 59 books in 2019,have become a member of kindle unlimited via amazon which I recommend to anyone who is an avid reader,worth it in any way.

To all of my friends I have met over the years you are welcome to email me
John Rogers
[email protected]

Good Luck and God Bless to All
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:20 pm

I haven't been here for a while and just saw this message. I know the feeling Matt and can relate all too well. Life just gets in the way sometimes, for good or bad. I've always had fun here, so thanks to you and all the other regulars. @John, the reason I came here to check out if the forum was still alive is that I am reading a new Conn Iggulden series (new for me, that is): War of the Roses. Very good! I remember you being gis nr.1 fan out here :-)

All the best to you all!

Tom
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:10 pm

To E-Hoog
Hello my friend it warms my heart to hear from you again,I have truly come in to my own as being an avid and skilled reader.I read 59 books in 2019 the majority of them along the lines or genre of Conn Iggulden historical adventure types.I got super addicted to Viking sagas and discovered many book series which I read in proper sequence one right after the other.It got to the point where I was having sword fights in my dreams so had to take a break from them.I have completed a few series of murder mystery novels which have been a holiday from the historical novels.Really had a thing going on for a while,books about Robin Hood,the Crusades,and England in the 12th to 17th century.
There is one primary thing I do before I start to read a book,I research the author,then I research his works,before I start to read them I make certain I begin at book #1 in the series if I am interested.The other thing I have discovered is how many authors there are whom have written dozens of books and book series that you have never heard of but there works are fantastic.As well have become a fan of Goodreads the website which is tied in to Amazon.

Take Care
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Return to The Library