The Quest - Wasn't Lostris' baby name Lanata in River God? .

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

The Quest - Wasn't Lostris' baby name Lanata in River God? .

Postby JulesRules » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:10 pm

........ so, why in Quest does Taita give Fenn her name, saying it was the baby name of Lostris?

Is this a mistake by Wilbur Smith, or am I just not getting it? :?
JulesRules

Currently Reading: The Quest

Re: The Quest - Wasn't Lostris' baby name Lanata in River God? .

Postby Henrik » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:07 am

I was struck by the same thought when reading the book.
Henrik

Postby Matbow » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:39 pm

Yes, this is an inconsistency. It has been discussed in depth in the other Quest threads...take a look there for further info.

Matt
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby booktony » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 am

*makes the sign against evil*
booktony

Currently Reading: River God

Re: The Quest - Wasn't Lostris' baby name Lanata in River Go

Postby Ahboli » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:13 am

I believe Lanata was Taita's first love; she was a slave and executed by Taita's master when he discovered their relationship.

Among his many talents, engineer might be foremost. He designed and constructed a Bow of unusual power - I believe he called it, Lanata.

Fenn became Taita's lover; it would be natural for him to call her Lanata - in memory of his first love (again).
Ahboli

Currently Reading: Monsoon

Postby Captain Reactionary » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Ahboli wrote:I believe Lanata was Taita's first love; she was a slave and executed by Taita's master when he discovered their relationship.

Among his many talents, engineer might be foremost. He designed and constructed a Bow of unusual power - I believe he called it, Lanata.

Fenn became Taita's lover; it would be natural for him to call her Lanata - in memory of his first love (again).

I forget what Taita's executed first love's name was, but it wasn't Lanata. That was the child name of Lostris and also the name given by Tanus to his war bow.

Warlock and The Quest tear a number of holes in the Egyptian series' continuity, not the least Taita recalling in them that he was a virgin, when River God makes it quite plain that he wasn't. Does in fact make great play of the fact that he wasn't.

To be honest, I loved River God and seventh Scroll and thought Warlock and The Quest were utter tat. Smith has gone back to first person narrative for the latest one, so hopefully it'll be a return to the same quality.
Captain Reactionary

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:10 am

Captain Reactionary wrote:To be honest, I loved River God and seventh Scroll and thought Warlock and The Quest were utter tat. Smith has gone back to first person narrative for the latest one, so hopefully it'll be a return to the same quality.

I wouldn't go as far as to call the latest two (not including Desert God) utter tat, but there was definitely a decline... I still count River God and Seventh Scroll among my favourite WS novels.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Return to The Egyptians