Books on Ancient Egypt

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

Books on Ancient Egypt

Postby Bee » Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:01 pm

I thought this would be something neat to add to the site. These are some books that I've had to read (since I'm studying about Ancient Egypt) and recommend if you'd like more information. Feel free to add and I will be adding more later on.

The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt - Ian Shaw
Ancient Egypt - Barry Kemp
Bee
Founder Member

Postby aaron » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:34 pm

I picked this book up from a discount table

Ancient Egypt : Myth and History (Geddes & Grosset)
aaron

Postby Nefer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:56 pm

Thanks guys!

Now all I need is time... :D

I found this website too...

http://www.ashmol.ox.ac.uk/Griffith.html

Good for a lot of accurate info... they also have a list of web-pages for research help :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:18 am

Yeah, thanks for sending me those. If only we weren't forbidden to use websites for my research paper.... ](*,)
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:33 pm

No way!! That really blows.... sorry...

But don't they have a list of references somewhere?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Bee » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:42 pm

Well my prof does, but they usually don't help much. He's got a list of websites too, but they're all about the digs and no info.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Egyptian Eyes » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:48 am

What a coincidence. the first 2 books mentioned here (by Shaw and Kemp) were those I utilised for my units. Kemp is a bit difficult to read, for he can be quite dragging in my opinion. But Shaw is very comprehensive and informative - a very good book for Egypt lovers, indeed.
Of course, for those who want to have a clear idea on where to start, there is also The complete idiot's guide to Ancient Egypt. A fun-filled, entertaining, but simultaneously informative read. Not scholarly, but it's a good start.
Sometimes, we get through adversity only by imagining what the world might be like if our dreams should ever come true.
~Arthur Golden, 'Memoirs of a Geisha'
Egyptian Eyes

Return to The Egyptians