What is the true in the Rver God?

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

What is the true in the Rver God?

Postby tarikaral » Wed May 26, 2010 5:10 am

I recently read River God. the end of the Smith claims that this book was based on the scrolls of Taita her slave. These scrolls were allegedly found in her tomb in January of 1988 by Dr. Duraid ibn al Simma of the Egyptian Department of Antiquities. The tomb was on the west bank of the Nile in the Valley of the Nobels. Lostris lived on the 1700s BC, during the period of the Hyksos invasion. According to the book, she was married to the Pharaoh Mamose and mother of Pharaoh Tamose. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I've been dying to know how much of the book is really true since I read it. is the the scrolls true or a fiction? what is the true in this book? in the Egypt literature, pharaoah Mamose and Tamose, Queen Lostris is not recorded and the isent any tomb of this names. Dr. Duraid ibn al Simma is not a realy person. if all of the book was fiction, what is the means of the the endnotes of the book? i think it is not a ethical notes!
tarikaral

Currently Reading: Sewenth scroll

Re: What is the true in the Rver God?

Postby Matbow » Wed May 26, 2010 12:04 pm

Complete work of fiction. Wilbur has admitted so, but I can't find the interview that he admits it.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby E-Hoog » Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 am

I think the endnote is merely there to make the connection to his later novel The Seventh Scroll, in which the main characters try to unravel the location of Pharoah Mamose's tomb from the Taita scolls. In that book Wilbur Smith is actually mentioned for writing River God. That was nicely done
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Captain Reactionary » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:40 pm

That "Dr. Duraid ibn al Simma" appears as a character in The Seventh Scroll and gets 'orribly murdered might be a clue. ;)
Captain Reactionary

Return to The Egyptians