more ancient Egypt novels!

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

more ancient Egypt novels!

Postby Steven » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:00 pm

I'm now obsessed with Egpyt and I must have MORE! Does anyone know where I can find more books set in ancient Egypt, really good ones like up to WS standards (or just a little below). And with lots of action and such?
Steven

Postby Bee » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:02 am

You might want to try Cleopatra. The author's name is escaping my mind but Nefer might help you out there.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:27 pm

I thought I had a thread on this somewhere but apparently I don't! :o

The book Bee is referring to is "The Memoirs of Cleopatra" by Margaret George.

Another one is a trilogy by Pauline Gedge, starts with "The Hippopotamus Marsh". I forget the names of the remaing two books! They deal with the same time period as River God, but provide quite an interesting alternative view. And a huge bonus, very well written too!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Steven » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:56 pm

Nah not interested in Cleopatra, thank you though.

Nefer how easy a read were they? Were they fast paced like RG and Warlock?
Steven

Postby WSI » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:22 am

there is a Ramses series by Christan Jacq that is not so overwhelming but rather good to read
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Nefer » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:01 pm

Nothing compares to the speed in a WS book - !

It's not that slow though. The story is really different & hence the 3 books.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Pauline Gedge Series

Postby Cataline » Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:50 am

Hello all,

Yes, the Pauline Gedge "Lords of the Two Lands" series begins with "The Hippopotamus Marsh", then "The Oasis", and finally "The Horus Road". Excellent series, just read it this summer; lots of intrigue, warfare, murders, and historical detail.

She has written many others too, including her first (a First Novel Award winner) "Child of the Morning", followed by others such as "Scroll of Saqqara", "House of Dreams", "House of Illusions", and more.

I also recommend a novel written in the 40's or 50's titled "The Egyptian", by Mika Waltari. Really memorable.
Cataline

Postby Nefer » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:56 pm

Thanks for those!!

I have a list going for the December hols - getting longer!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby wingwriter2000 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:07 pm

In a forbidden village deep in the mountainous deseert of Upper Egypt, a handful of men jealously guard some of the most precious secrets of the Pharoahs. And the most fabulous of these is the Stone of Light...a stone that can transform barley into gold and matter into light...

The mysterious village is called the Place of Truth. Dynasties of artists and craftsmen lived and worked there for some five centuries, from 1550 to 1070 BC preparing the eternal resting places of the reigning Pharoahs.

The former was taken from the inside flap of 'Nefer the Silent' book one of, "The Stone of Light" series by Christian Jacq. There are four books in this series.

The aforementioned Ramses series metioned by another poster has five volumes. There is another book titled "The Black Pharoah." I believe this to be a stand alone title.

If you are looking for books on ancient Egypt, these would be a good place to start. Alan.
wingwriter2000

Postby Penitent » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:19 pm

There is a new Spanish author, Antonio Cabanas; that wrote a book called "El Ladron de Tumbas" something like "The Tomb's Thief". It is about a family of Tomb robbers that have been doing that for generations. It is taking the literary world by storm and a sequel came out last year. I’m planning to buy it next time I go to Spain and I will keep everyone posted if it ever is translated into English.
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Bee » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:51 pm

Thanks! It sounds really interesting... keep us updated!
Bee
Founder Member

Re: more ancient Egypt novels!

Postby EnockNamun » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:06 am

I also recommend a novel written in the 40's or 50's titled "The Egyptian", by Mika Waltari.

This definately is a must-read for ancient egyptian fiction fans. Mika Waltari must have delved into years of research to accomplish this excellent novel. Granted, it is a slow read. Even the action is nothing less than rather dull. But in an aesthetic point of view, meaning if you're looking for excellent descriptions of the place, people, customs and details -- this is an amazing source. Plot is set during the 18th dynasty, during the time of Akhenaton, and his subjugation of polytheism. The main character/narrator is Sinuhe, a physician.
And when you're finished reading, you can watch the movie adaptation, also called The Egyptian. 1954. http://imdb.com/title/tt0046949
EnockNamun

Currently Reading: River God, again

Return to The Egyptians