DESERT GOD

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

Re: DESERT GOD

Postby johnrogers » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:46 am

Have not completed reading it yet but so far I am loving it.For certain it is a continuation of River God.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby johnrogers » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:56 pm

Don't know quite why but as I read Desert God Taita for some reason or another reminds me of Wilbur Smith himself - I imagine Wilbur is quite full of himself in real life I am certain.Perhaps Taita is really Wilburs alter ego.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:23 am

Hi Mat, whatever the man does with his personal life is his problem; the wheel turns. However, would make life a little easier to comprehend if WS would at least admit to using ghost writers; it's so blatantly obvious, time wise, with all his travelling, fishing etc. he just couldn't do it alone. The quality of his writing has deteriorated, that's the bottom line. His writing 'team' is struggling with suitable, look-alike material, but failing miserably. No comparison to the sheer genius of his earlier work. I understand your staying impartial, goes with moderating, and no-one is purposely knocking your icon, but time will tell. A great shame; been an avid fan since the sixties; retiring whilst ahead would be the way for him to go, but alas, £15 000 000 will involve a lot of pay-back time. I hope Taita will come to his rescue. :(
Stay safe.
Last edited by jeffw on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffw

Postby tedd » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:45 pm

Hallo Mat/Jeff - I often think of what I would do if writing a book of fiction. Would I imagine myself in the position of the hero or maybe one of the other characters? I think the answer is 'Yes'. It would be like a daydream of a kid just updated with maturity. So I tend to agree - he probably is Taita while writing the books the same as he was Sean Courtney when he wrote 'Lion...'. What do you do Jeff?
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:43 am

Hi Tedd, slight problem with that at the moment, my protagonist is a woman, but yes, that does happen, especially when drawing on personal experience. However, and this is only my opinion, (not being blessed with Taita's powers of insight) the subject matter of his latest fantasy is not in question, some readers like that sort of stuff, but the quality of his writing is. Your ref to When the Lion Feeds speaks volumes; compare the two, then and now - chalk and cheese, my friend. Sticks out a mile. Would do WS some good if he spent a little more time with us mortals as opposed to taking tea with Zeus and Aphrodite. Sorry, Desert God just doesn't float my boat.
You take care, good to talk. :)
Last edited by jeffw on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:45 am

I have read Desert God and really want to discuss the book but will wait for a few more posts before I do,I do not want to influence anyone one way or the other on what I have to say about the final entry in the series.No spoiler here but will make one comment about Taita,he is an egotistical maniac in Desert God.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:04 pm

johnrogers wrote:he is an egotistical maniac in Desert God.

Oh oh, is this the end your neverending quest to fathom Taita? :wink:

I still have to read Desert God, but I'm not really in a hurry. I finished Vicious Circle only a short while ago and am still reeling from that one... I'm now engrossed in The Power of the Sword. God, but how the mighty have fallen. His early work is soooo much better.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby johnrogers » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:16 pm

E-Hoog wrote:
johnrogers wrote:he is an egotistical maniac in Desert God.

Oh oh, is this the end your neverending quest to fathom Taita? :wink:

I still have to read Desert God, but I'm not really in a hurry. I finished Vicious Circle only a short while ago and am still reeling from that one... I'm now engrossed in The Power of the Sword. God, but how the mighty have fallen. His early work is soooo much better.

E-Hoog - It is official Taita and I are getting a divorce :lol: but I really do want to discuss the book when more people have read it and commented on it.
I feel like a free man E-Hoog
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:21 am

johnrogers wrote:I feel like a free man E-Hoog

Ha Ha, enjoy your freedom! :D
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Nefer » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:35 pm

I'm reading it now, and damn did I ever miss out on some drama!

I can't say I have an opinion on his daughter making those claims. Where's her proof, why is she saying all this now and is it even her or a troll?

As for the book, I'll share my thoughts as I go. First of, since when was Lostris blonde?! She always had black hair!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:08 pm

I will say this much for the moment The beginning of Desert God was very good for a while there I thought Wilbur may have gotten his groove back.The battle scene description was epic equal to Conn Igguldens talent in historical writing.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby johnrogers » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:02 pm

There is one conclusion I came to after reading the complete Egyptian series ending in Desert God - Taita really and truly is an extension of Wilbur Smiths alter ego.Wilbur and Taita are one and the same.

Tedd by the way I was not kidding when I said that Wilbur should be cast as the actor to play the role of Taita if ever a film was made.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby jeffw » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:03 am

Glad you agree John! You had me worried; The old guy is suffering from hyper-celeb-massive-dose-of-self- esteem! Sad thing is though, his PR people actively encourage his metamorphosis from mortal being to deity; Check out the last portrait-pic of him on his facebook page. Reckon he's waiting for a fly-by of Lancaster bombers for him to take the salute! Interesting though, he has already given voice to his next publishing date - March/April next. Must be writing with both hands and through the night, every night, twenty-four-seven, or he ain't gonna make it. Not with all the travelling and celeb dining etc. Oh sorry, I forgot - after all is said and done, he is a God? Isn't he? :lol: :lol:
PS, Come back The Sound of Thunder days when Wilbur was in his full glorious state of total, but mortal genius. I miss that man, but alas, he is gone, forever...
Stay safe; enjoy your comments.
Jeff
Last edited by jeffw on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:05 am

jeffw wrote:Glad you agree John! You had me worried; The old guy is suffering from hyper-celeb-massive-dose-of-self- esteem! Sad thing is though, his PR people actively encourage his metamorphosis from mortal being to deity; Check out the last portrait-pic of him on his facebook page. Reckon he's waiting for a fly-by of Lancaster bombers for him to take the salute! Interesting though, he has already given voice to his next publishing date - March/April next. Must be writing with both hands and through the night, every night, twenty-four-seven, or he ain't gonna make it. Not with all the travelling and celeb dining etc. Oh sorry, I forgot - after all is said and done, he is a God? Isn't he? :lol: :lol:
PS, Come back The Sound of Thunder days when Wilbur was in his full glorious state of total, but mortal genius. I miss that man, but alas, he is gone, forever...
Stay safe; enjoy your comments.
Jeff

Tell you what Jeff I am reluctant to discuss Desert God at this point because I do not want to influence those who have not read it.I have plenty to say but will keep it under wraps for a few more months and others comment on it.
Saying that the beginning of the book gave me hope it was very good,after that is up for discussion later.I did not recognize Taita in Desert God it seemed he was from the 20th century not from the Egyptian era.
For certain Wilbur was channeling himself thru the character Taita,just listen to Wilburs discussions about himself in television interviews,he likes to talk about the gaggle of women that have been in his life and his preference for the feminine gender,but mostly likes to tout himself.
I have read some Desert God comments on Wilburs facebook page - so many of them have taken the same route as you which is go back to The Sound of Thunder days and forget the rest,
There ain't a chance in hell that Wilbur wrote Desert God on his own,I could pick out the segments where Wilbur was telling the story and could pick up the parts that were written by the ghost writing crew which was a large percentage of the book.
I will continue to read the new books that are coming out and support Wilbur in the future,the same as Tedd, but will approach them with lessor expectations

Taking the grandsons to the Santa Claus parade in downtown Comox today :D
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby Nefer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:09 pm

So if I'm bored by the book I'm not the only one? It's very hard to get into, I feel like the ghost writing crew are straight out of high school bc the writing is so bad!

Enjoy the parade, John!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby jeffw » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:00 am

Hi folks; becoming somewhat disillusioned with all the sniping - especially mine - I say, let old WS get on with whatever he thinks is best and I'll learn to live with the outcome. Need every ounce of energy I have left to cope with my own writing; maybe ghost writers aren't such a bad idea; I could spend more time with my family.
Have a good day, and oh, almost forgot. Hope your (John) grandson's Santa day out went well. :)
jeffw

Postby Matbow » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:59 pm

johnrogers wrote:There is one conclusion I came to after reading the complete Egyptian series ending in Desert God - Taita really and truly is an extension of Wilbur Smiths alter ego.Wilbur and Taita are one and the same.

Tedd by the way I was not kidding when I said that Wilbur should be cast as the actor to play the role of Taita if ever a film was made.

Hmm...

“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby jeffw » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:01 am

Is this for real??? :lol:
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Matbow wrote:
johnrogers wrote:There is one conclusion I came to after reading the complete Egyptian series ending in Desert God - Taita really and truly is an extension of Wilbur Smiths alter ego.Wilbur and Taita are one and the same.

Hmm...

Quote by Jeffrey Whittam

"It was well past midnight before Taita fired up his V8 Chevy and headed for Cairo's sorid club land :shock:
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby tedd » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:47 pm

So now we know!! WS is writing his own imaginary biography - his alter ego!! Unbelievable!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Egyptians