DESERT GOD

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

Re: DESERT GOD

Postby tedd » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:03 pm

]Hi johnrogers - did you get a kindle edition? tedd[/quote]

Howdy Tedd - yes it was the kindle ebook edition[/quote]

Hallo john - I bought the standard hardback - it's 424 pages which makes it a reasonable length and EVERY page is a full page of print. No chapter headings, in fact, no chapters - just a continuous run of print, no half-pages, no blank pages - change of scenes being marked by a large capital letter on the first word of the new section - I liked this set-up.

jeffw wrote:Experts at 'padding out'; a lot of publishers also increase the font size, cut the number of lines per page and heave thirty pages of 'white paper' in with the story. There's no doubt, the man is being squeezed; ghosties are definitely in there. His next book is due March/April and he's holidaying in Namibia? This next offering will be something to behold. Hope I'm wrong, but see the good ship Disaster coming on over the literary horizon. really pisses me off; think I'll head north for the Limpopo again with Sean and Duff; how much I miss them. :(

And jeffw - jeepers Jeff you really are getting cynical in your old age - it's Xmas, love one another and all that - I wish I could be in the wilds of Namibia (and I bet you do!) on a one man luxury safari along with a glamorous bird - the stuff that makes good stories - while having someone write the rest of my memoirs for me (and in WS's case writing his books for him)
I agree with you - it won't work and everybody will be aware of it. But good readable yarns are still being turned out under the names of Robert Ludlum and James Patterson (I think) with the addition of the 'ghosts' names and they are being accepted, probably welcomed, by the reading public.
Anyway - to johnrogers and jeffw a special greeting for Christmas and the New Year - have a great Festive Season - I love reading your contributions to the forum and I am looking forward Jeff to your next book. And to all members of this Forum I also extend good wishes for Xmas and New Year
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Tedd, maybe you're right, I'm just a grumpy old git; must try harder, guess I expect too much from WS so will emulate your efforts and be more understanding (but I refuse to cry), he still brings joy to a lot of people so what the heck, that's what counts. reckon I need a break from writing, last 18 months has been a seven day week commitment to my next book so feeling a tad knackered, could be part of the reason for my bad temper. Anyway, here's to a great new year; Have a great Christmas out there in the sunshine,
Best wishes,
Jeff
ps, have been asked if I want the part of Scrooge in the movie, Christmas Carol. Thinking about it, my wife reckons I would fit right in there. :)
jeffw

Postby jeffw » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:28 am

You too, Johnrogers! Have a great Christmas but easy on the moonshine!
Jeff :lol:
And to all our forum members; may both happiness and goodwill come knocking at your door. Merry, merry Christmas :)
jeffw

Postby johnrogers » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Merry Christmas and all my best wishes to you and yours Tedd and Jeff and Matbow and Nefer and Ehoog.It has been a lot of fun going back and forth with you in 2014 - brothers in arms for certain or my extended family on the internet - love you guys - take care

And Merry Christmas to all my other pals in the forum

We go Blurbal at Christmas time :lol:
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby jeffw » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:25 am

And Merry Christmas to Nefer, Matbo and Ehoog; now I'm all Christamassed out; see you guys again in 2015! God bless and don't forget; "Better to be cold and wet on the golf course, than dry and warm in a hospital bed!!!" :lol:
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:06 am

I'll put my best wishes here as well :).

Have a good Christmas and a very good 2015!
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Nefer » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm so bored reading this, I'm reading fan fiction that has has a better plot and is actually edited! I'm at the part where they fracking finally get to Crete.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby jeffw » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:30 am

You got it, Nefer! More excitement in the Old Testament; good for insomniacs, as a sleep-aid. :lol:
jeffw

Postby Nefer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Sleep aid bahahahaha!

Well I'm finally done and wow that was so awful I honestly don't see the point of this book?
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nefer » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:53 pm

And Merry Xmas everyone :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby johnrogers » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:30 am

Nefer wrote:Sleep aid bahahahaha!

Well I'm finally done and wow that was so awful I honestly don't see the point of this book?

Tough review by Nefer folks
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby Nefer » Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:03 pm

Hahahah yeah well, if it looks like crap and smells like crap....

I really want Wilbur to retire and preserve his dignity and reputation.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby jeffw » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:09 am

Nefer wrote:Hahahah yeah well, if it looks like crap and smells like crap....

I really want Wilbur to retire and preserve his dignity and reputation.

Should be fun...a cat among the forum's pigeons? A tumultuous, New Year awaits! Look forward to the adventure. Jeff :)
jeffw

Postby jeffw » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:24 am

First man on our forum for 2015!!! :) Now then; WS's next book, according to Niso may be released this coming April. A follow-on to Desert God, or Vicious Circle? What's the betting? Happy New Year to everyone. :D , jeff
jeffw

Postby Nefer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:33 pm

I'm not betting bc I won't be reading :p

Happy NY Jeff!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby jeffw » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:21 am

Easier said than done, Nefer. Curiosity will suck us in - again! :lol:
jeffw

Postby E-Hoog » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:50 am

Nefer wrote:Sleep aid bahahahaha!

I've finally started as well and, bloody hell... What shallow drivel has he concocted now? I'm only 50 pages in, but bored as hell. With just a little more "flesh" to the story and characters it could've been something nice. Pity

Edit: and happy new year@all :-)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby Nefer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:59 pm

You can clearly tell what Wilbur wrote and where the ghost writers took over. It's still an awful book either way.
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby jeffw » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:27 am

Yes guys, those days of our swarming over his razor-edged prose are well and truly over; left lying alongside Tukutela and Claudia's old man. So it's back to his earlier books, permanently. Might not be such a bad ending, reckon I'll go check out old Zouga and Ralph... who knows, maybe I missed something. :)
Jeff
jeffw

Postby dtietens » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:00 am

Jeffw, you're rude… :shock:
Claudia Monterro: Daughter of Riccardo Monterro. She’s the lover of Sean II. Kidnapped by China, a Renamo guerrilla leader, as a means to coerce Sean II into co-operating with Renamo - Mozambique (A Time to Die). Tukutela: a mythical elephant hunted by the father of Claudia, an American tycoon and customer of Sean II on his hunting concession. Afflicted by cancer. I think Tukutela helped Claudia's old man "kick the bucket".

I recognize that “his” latest writings might not be on the level as the “earlier” ones but I can like the idea that WS still provides the plot or storylines, even if he delegates some of the chapters to freelance writers. With a bit of daydreaming I can still immerge in his characters. From my part, I hope that WS will provide many more ideas for numerous installments on the Ballantyne and Courtney Series.
dtietens

Currently Reading: Karin Brynard, Onse vaders

PreviousNext

Return to The Egyptians