DESERT GOD

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

Re: DESERT GOD

Postby tedd » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:32 am

jeffw wrote:"It was dark when Tayita pulled his chariot into the only open space outside the Pyramid Night Club; he looked down at Never-a -Teety, flicked his Camel cigarette butt over the horse's butt and said, 'But but, by Seth's sweaty butt you're looking good tonight! What do you say to a ride out into the desert and I'll show you my asp?'
'But but,' she replied, and threatened to cover him over with her cloak of untouchable virginity.
'No more buts, get your sweet little butt up here and hang onto my butt; but before you do, douse my cigarette butt with water from yonder ancient rain butt.
'But but,' she said again, 'Do you have any protection, oh mighty inflamed Tayita, Son of Ramasis the Never Ever Ready? It would not be right for you to leave me filled with child.'
'Protection, you say?' He smiled at her, beatifically, (f**k knows what that means, but but, I read it somewhere) But I am Tayita, Lord of Lords, King of the Dunes! (not the one in Vegas), the only protection you will feel tonight is from the wind.'
'You have doors on this thing?' She stroked the paintwork, 'what if there's a sand storm?'
'No probs,' he told her, and reached out for a butt-on sticking out from the dashboard, 'convertible, sweetheart. Full palm-frond roof; a crack full of sand ain't no good to me.'

Hey Guys - going to have to watch this jeffw - he's developing into a full-blown WS ghost writer
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:23 am

You knock me dead, Tedd. Bit of fun, thought we were all getting to be a little bit down; second chapter for sale at all good book stores!!! :lol:
jeffw

Postby tedd » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:11 pm

jeffw wrote:You knock me dead, Tedd. Bit of fun, thought we were all getting to be a little bit down; second chapter for sale at all good book stores!!! :lol:

Enough of this frivolity - get back to your writing desk Jeff!!
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby jeffw » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:17 am

:lol:
Last edited by jeffw on Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
jeffw

Postby jeffw » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:18 am

tedd wrote:
jeffw wrote:You knock me dead, Tedd. Bit of fun, thought we were all getting to be a little bit down; second chapter for sale at all good book stores!!! :lol:

Enough of this frivolity - get back to your writing desk Jeff!!

Okay Dad! I'm going, I'm going! :lol:
jeffw

Postby kath_044 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:36 am

well I just finished Desert God. It's not the old Wilbur Smith I'm used to that's for sure. One thing I've been noticing that might have started with The Quest is more and more use of modern terms. I think it was in Quest he refers to Vampires...hmmm how could that be?

The references to Taita being the best at everything over and over again was annoying.

The think I love about Wilbur is he's able to bring the reader into Africa; by his words really feel you're there. I didn't get any of that in this book.

It'll be a sad day when we no longer have Wilbur Smith books; I will continue to support him.
kath_044

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby johnrogers » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:50 pm

kath_044 wrote:well I just finished Desert God. It's not the old Wilbur Smith I'm used to that's for sure. One thing I've been noticing that might have started with The Quest is more and more use of modern terms. I think it was in Quest he refers to Vampires...hmmm how could that be?

The references to Taita being the best at everything over and over again was annoying.

The think I love about Wilbur is he's able to bring the reader into Africa; by his words really feel you're there. I didn't get any of that in this book.

It'll be a sad day when we no longer have Wilbur Smith books; I will continue to support him.

Hi Kath - Good to hear your opinion re Desert God as you I found Taita's new found ego was getting under my skin as well,I agree with you 100% with everything you say the only difference is I will continue to support Wilbur Smith and read his future publications because I have a deep connection with all the great books he has written and I have read them all.By the way happy you have joined the forum.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:29 am

I agree with you Kath. It seems like he just didn't care anymore and just wanted to crank out a new book to keep his publisher happy. Also, I think it was safe for him to choose Taita as his main character instead of writing a new one. Like he knew he couldn't pull it off anymore.
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby SOELEY » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:11 pm

Well I have been avoiding this thread like the plague until I had read Desert God for myself. Now that I have just read all the thread and posting here it must mean only one thing. I have finished reading Desert God (to be honest, I think this thread was a more interesting read).

It is quite a while since I read River God & Seventh Scroll (2009ish). Those were the first two WS books I ever read and what got me into all the other WS books. Going from memory when I read River God & Seventh Scroll I couldn’t put them down and never wanted them to finish. What a difference Desert God is? As others have already said earlier in this thread Taita now comes across as an egotistical, big headed know-it-all.

“I have a musician’s ear for sounds; both instrumental and spoken. I am able to replicate the cadence and accent of any human speech faultlessly.”

He managed to learn a new language in no time at all!

So how old is Taita really supposed to be?

“The Hyksos invasion took place almost ninety years ago, and yes I do remember it well. But now I had to cover up my error.”

I can’t fathom it as he can battle with sword, hike and climb as good as the young soldiers.

All in all, I didn’t find it anywhere near as enjoyable as I was hoping it would be. I found Taita to be annoying and irritating at times and towards the end of the book you start to get the lead up to him being the savant he is in Warlock.
SOELEY

Currently Reading: Shock Wave - Clive Cussler

Postby johnrogers » Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:10 am

SOELEY wrote:Well I have been avoiding this thread like the plague until I had read Desert God for myself. Now that I have just read all the thread and posting here it must mean only one thing. I have finished reading Desert God (to be honest, I think this thread was a more interesting read).

It is quite a while since I read River God & Seventh Scroll (2009ish). Those were the first two WS books I ever read and what got me into all the other WS books. Going from memory when I read River God & Seventh Scroll I couldn’t put them down and never wanted them to finish. What a difference Desert God is? As others have already said earlier in this thread Taita now comes across as an egotistical, big headed know-it-all.

“I have a musician’s ear for sounds; both instrumental and spoken. I am able to replicate the cadence and accent of any human speech faultlessly.”

He managed to learn a new language in no time at all!

So how old is Taita really supposed to be?

“The Hyksos invasion took place almost ninety years ago, and yes I do remember it well. But now I had to cover up my error.”

I can’t fathom it as he can battle with sword, hike and climb as good as the young soldiers.

All in all, I didn’t find it anywhere near as enjoyable as I was hoping it would be. I found Taita to be annoying and irritating at times and towards the end of the book you start to get the lead up to him being the savant he is in Warlock.

Yes I agree with you the thread was very harsh but fair is fair Desert God was beyond sub standard and the opinions in the thread were a true evaluation of the quality of the book written.I have read enough books to separate what is a good read and what is not.The good news Soeley is there are so many high quality books to look forward to.

Happy reading
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Previous

Return to The Egyptians