The History behind River God

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

The History behind River God

Postby Matbow » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:05 am

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but I think I've found who WS may have based the Character Lostris on:

Ahhotep I (alternatively spelled Ahhotpe or Aahhotep), an Ancient Egyptian queen who lived circa 1560- 1530 BCE, during the early New Kingdom. A member of the Seventeenth dynasty of ancient Egypt, she was the daughter of Queen Tetisheri (Teti the Small) and Tao I, and likely the sister/wife of the pharaoh Tao II.

She is considered by some historians to be the founder of the eighteenth dynasty, although this is debatable. Her husband, the pharaoh Tao II, had been the pharaoh of only Upper Egypt; at that time the invaders in the intermidiate period, the Hyksos, controlled Lower Egypt. It is thought that after his death in battle against the Hyksos, Ahhotep played a crucial role in government and guidance of Upper Egypt. Ahhotep's sons, Ahmose and Kamose, managed to unite Upper and Lower Egypt by expelling the Hyksos. They assumed full power over the country, and when Kamose, like his father, died before they were able to defeat the Hyksos Ahmose assumed the throne. However, evidence suggests that this occurred when Ahmose I was too young to rule, and hence Ahhotep became regent. Ahhotep lived until she was about 90 years old and was buried beside Kamose at Thebes. Evidence suggests that she played an important role in politics during the unsettled second intermediate period and was influential in driving the Hyksos invaders out of Egypt, following the death of her husband. She was buried with, among other things, three "golden fly" medals (awarded in ancient Egypt for military service) and a ceremonial dagger. She was also presented with the Order of Valour, and a stela in the temple of Amun-Re praises her military accomplishments.

More here and some other links on that page will probably yield some more results.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:36 pm

Coolness!

How did you come across it... I mean, I know @ Wiki, but how did you know to search for her?

& BTW, I had mentioned a similar thought in this thread :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:03 pm

Another Egyptian article is the "thread of the day" on the wiki main page. From there I just clicked on a few further links (to get more details) and I ended up here! I wasn't really looking for it, it just happened!

Ahmose I on wiki
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Bee » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:33 pm

See I've got issues with Wiki... anyone can edit and add/delete stuff to it. Any other resources out there?

But it's cool that you found something that sounds a lot like Lostris! :D
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:40 pm

I found this interesting article re: Wiki :)

I did like the fact that the articles were referenced... I found the author Jennifer Lawless wrote a high-school text on Egypt - in Austrailia, so maybe the contributer is an enthusiastic student!

& I am also reminded of The Hippo. Marsh by Pauline Gedge... the names in her book are exactly the same as those mentioned in the book - Tetisheri was a grandmother. Ahmose & Kamose are in it too.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to The Egyptians