Is Quest any good?

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

Is Quest any good?

Postby willlou » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:33 am

Having read all of Wilber Smiths books I was eagerly awaiting Quest. Now having tried twice to start it and having got as far as page 36, nothing has happened and the story is bogged down in New Age mumbo jumbo. Does it get any better?

Will
roam if you want to
willlou

Postby Egyptian Eyes » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:15 am

Yeah, it does! just persevere.

thank you for sharing this. My goodness, i thought i was the only one who found those looong discussions dragging. so i sorta just skimmed over them and it was worth it after a while.
Some parts of the quest actually do get dragging for a bit... but it picks up eventually. then goes down. then up again. :lol: at least for me.
Sometimes, we get through adversity only by imagining what the world might be like if our dreams should ever come true.
~Arthur Golden, 'Memoirs of a Geisha'
Egyptian Eyes

Re: Is Quest any good?

Postby Monsoon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:56 am

willlou wrote:Having read all of Wilber Smiths books I was eagerly awaiting Quest. Now having tried twice to start it and having got as far as page 36, nothing has happened and the story is bogged down in New Age mumbo jumbo. Does it get any better?

Will

Don't worry willou i only got a third of the way through before i put it down aswell. Mind you a book i had reserved from my library turned up so i started reading that instead (i know i should be sent to the tower) but i will come back to the Quest in the goodness of time and give it the chance it deserves.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Peter Mac » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:11 pm

Having read all of his books I have to say that I am so disappointed with The Quest. The stupididity of some of the scenarios have left me wanting to put the book down. I have got to about page 300 and I am struggling to continue.
This is not the sort of writing that Wilbur Smith is reknowned for and he wants to stick to what he does best.
Peter Mac
Peter Mac

Postby Phils_jd » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:25 pm

I have to admit that having read all his books this one is rubbish
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby delby » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:39 am

Phils_jd wrote:I have to admit that having read all his books this one is rubbish

You know I had the same problem with warlock for about two years after River god and Seventh Scroll it just seemed naff and I couldnt get anywhere then one day out of nowhere I just picked it up and flew through it in two days and what a fantastic book it was!!!

Maybe you should leave it for a while and not try so hard .
WILLIE SMITH IS KING
delby
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Slave Stealer By Boyd Upchurch

Postby RedRoad » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:10 am

I am prejudiced to the style of RG and Warlock with the battles, requited love and the Ancient Egyptian experience in gerenal. This is a lot more loose, flimsy but not terrible. The difference though, does not really set the right mood when you start off. Try not to dwell on this, and it is still a good journey.
RedRoad

Postby nephthys » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:43 am

I didn't mind it, but I like fantasy so enjoyed the change from his more traditional, realistic writings. I read it in a day and a half, couldn't put it down.
Sister of Isis. 'Lady of the Mansion'
nephthys

Postby Rivaan » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:16 am

I have put reading it on hold for now, I just wasn't sure about the new direction taken with this book. In his previous Egyptian books, anything magical could have been attributed down to coincidence, research, trickery, or hallucinagenics. In this book, however, they totally jump off the deep end with the whole magical aspect. I did, however, like the fact that Meren and Taita are together like they were in the fanfic I started. :)

I'll start reading it again once I have finished this other book I have.
Rivaan

Return to The Egyptians