"The Quest" Reader Diary [Spoilers]

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

"The Quest" Reader Diary [Spoilers]

Postby Nefer » Tue May 29, 2007 9:36 pm

I've finally started the book :)

Have been ambivalent about it so far - I started on Saturday and am on page 146 (more a product of all the school work I'm doing I hope!)

It has been slow going, but I am getting interested in the story a bit more. Taita seems to have changed - he's not the same as he was in RG & Warlock, so I'm having a hard time relating to him.

Meren - I thought he'd be more distraught since we saw him last, but there is barely a mention of his former loves and life! He's also taken up the classic side-kick role, so I'll see where it goes with him.

Fenn aka Lanata aka Lostris - WTF?! This part seems confusing as I'm not sure about Eos - still suspect Fenn to be some sort of Eos-being. Then again, I did predict that Taita would need a female and male side-kick companion sort with him on the Quest, and I betcha anything Fenn and Meren end up together! Seems like a cop-out to resurrect Lostris. I liked her a lot and I think she's better off in the spirit world. Fenn should have been a new person.

Funny thing happened today in relation to the Quest. One of my professors decided to teach us about "The Secret" (which I take with a BIG grain of salt - read money making machine). Well the class was a waste of my $1500 this semester, but that's OT! He talked about "The Truth" and how generations of people have known it (Egyptians, Templars, etc) and were persecuted and killed for it, and now in this age, we wil once again know this Truth, but we won't be killed for it (thank Allah, eh?) Funny because that's how WS starts this story - with the Truth and the Lie. Strange coincidence? I think not - it all has to do with the Truth! Which you will find if you know the Secret! Which will be revealed after you pay $40 for the book and $1000 for a 2 day workshop... :roll: Sorry, OT over.

Back to the Quest... I have a feeling that WS will never tell us what this magic Truth is... But I'll hold my judgment on it till I get to the end!

The plot is picking up at this point with the intro of Fenn. Feeling the old Wilbur magic trickle again :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Ada » Tue May 29, 2007 11:48 pm

This is fascinating "rereading" The Quest through some one else's eyes. So far you've expressed very similar thoughts to other Forum members as they were reading it.

Are you reading/do you plan on reading the spoilers on the other threads? Or will you wait until you've finished it?

Re your [b7] subject (The Secret): Did you see the Oprah special on it? We were disappointed to see she was "sucked in" by it. What a pack of con artists. I didn't watch all of the Oprah show but one of the men who used The Secret, made his riches by teaching The Secret. Ah! So that's how The Secret works. :shock: :roll: And no wonder if that is how much the workshop costs! :lol: I haven't crossed to your link yet but will do so shortly.

Looking forward to your next instalment on The Quest.
Ada
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: The Elephant to Hollywood

Postby i_heart_nefie » Wed May 30, 2007 2:31 am

NEFER!! I'm so happy you are reading it now!!!! YAY!!!!! I hope you love it my fellow die-hard Egyptian fanatic!!!! I'm so excited for you! :) :)

It's funny coz your questions and comments about it so far are pretty much the same as mine were!
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Nefer » Wed May 30, 2007 7:20 pm

Hmm.. interesting that we've all got the same opinion! I haven't looked at the spoiler threads yet - I want to have a totally fresh outlook on the book as I read it.

& Re The Secret... I'm hoping to see if WS writes anymore about the Truth, and if there are any Templar-type links. Wish I had read the book before I met him, then I could've asked him if the Secret influenced him when writing the book; or conversely, if the Secret people are using what is common knowledge about ancient magic traditions. I sense a research topic for a rainy day!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nefer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:37 pm

I'm at page 364 - the story has definitely picked up!

Things that struck me - how easily Taita has been fooled by Eos up to this point. I'm so used to him being an arrogant insufferable know-it-all that I'm used to him being invisible! But this Eos is blinding him so easily - he knows his vanity is his downfall and yet he can't see that she's using this against him!

Also a little disturbing with him and Fenn - okay, its grossing me out. I know she's Lostris, blah blah, but it's still weird, not to mention he's like a 100 years older than she is! I really thought Fenn and Meren were going to be the power couple, and then Sidudu showed up. Funny how the minute she was with Meren I thought to myself - she's like Merykara, and that's exactly it! But I can't put my finger on why I got this impression. I think she may die, throwing Meren into grief and anger which will somehow help to defeat Eos, and either he will die, or he will live and Fenn will save him, and they both fall in love, and live, or they die just as they realise their love for one another, leaving Taita alone once again. That was a long and convoluted sentence!

Also found it interesting about the seeding stuff - stem cells anyone?! I saw that coming as soon as Meren got his eye and Hannah explained a bit about it. Kinda sick the way Taita got to be regenerated. Again, I can't believe that he accepted it so readily, after Demeter and others told him that being a eunuch was the one advantage he had over Eos. She gave him the gift only to aid in his destruction - can't believe that all-knowing and wise Taita didn't see that coming! Men! Always thinking about sex. :lol:

I think there's more to Meren than meets the eye. He's so aware of the evil of the Gardens, where Taita is so easily fooled. Maybe Eos is focusing on the wrong man at this point! Meren may surprise me yet! I really like him, wish we saw more of him in the story.

This story is so different from what WS usually writes, and while I miss the old Wilbur, this story is not bad at all. He wanted this story to be a departure, which it is, and he does it well. If you're reading this sir, please write your old stuff again!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Nefer » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:26 pm

Well I'm done :)

Lots of happy endings, and no further twists and turns. Seems WS has gone sappy in his old age - I really expected something bad to happen but it never did!

A Very Good Book :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to The Egyptians