Dixie Chicks and Opinions (from the Music Thread)

Dixie Chicks and Opinions (from the Music Thread)

Postby Nefer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:47 am

Thought this would be worth discussing :)

SOTSF wrote

whilst USA and UK troops invaded Iraq the chicks made a comment about being ashamed that Bush was from Texas...massive backlash in the USA - hate mail/death threats and all the works. This track is their way of defending freedom of speech and being pissed off with how they were treated...

Where to begin?...

Did you have any friends, family or loved ones killed on September 11th?
Was your nation attacked?
Was your city attacked?
Have YOU ever had YOUR balls on the line?
Are any of your friends or family in the war right now?

Freedom Of Speach is a privilage paid for with soldiers blood.

Once I asked a Vietnam Vet how he could keep from beating the crap out of hippies who called him and his brother veterans "baby killers" and worse when he returned to the U.S.A. He said something I will never forget "I may not have liked what they were saying, but me and my brothers were fighting and dying for their right to say it."think about that for a minute.

In my country we have a culture of celebrity worship. Unfortunately just because you have gained the publics' attention does not raise your I.Q. nor has popularity made you an expert on anything. In fact we have many famous dimwits who think that their celebrity entitles them to spout off with their missguided and uninformed opinions.
"Any publicity is good publicity" may have gone through Natalie Maines' gray matter but not much else did. In fact The Chicks have been described in their native state as "The Country version of Menudo" because they turn over their members for younger and prettier talent. Natalie Maines is the daughter of Lloyd Maines. She grew up sheltered and privilaged, he also provided her with the music industry contacts so that she didn't have to work her way up the industry ladder, This hardly qualifies her as an expert in anything as she is also lacking a secondary education. She exercised her Freedom of Speech and now she should deal with the fall out.

If you want to try a country song that tells how most Americans feel, try Toby Keith's "American Soldier" or "Courtesy Of The Red White And Blue" or Darryl Worleys "Have You Forgotten?" try giving that last one a listen.


ETA the correct quote!
Last edited by Nefer on Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
User avatar
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby Nefer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:49 am

I think the point being made is that the current leader of the States is well... not to be rude, but he has not made the best decisions. Invading Iraq was a brainless ploy for nothing more than self-destruction, and I believe that the Chicks were ashamed to have him as their duly elected leader (and I hesitate to say elected in a country where only about 40% of the populace actually votes; as opposed to Canada where turnout is twice as high.)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
User avatar
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby Matbow » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:38 am

Have you just quoted yourself there Nefer?

SOSF:

I don't know a great deal about this story, only what I've read over the past couple of days. However, what I find hard to believe is the degree of criticism that was levied on the DC's. Yes, freedom of speech is a privilege, but it's not something that can be withdrawn in "special circumstances"...it exists for better or worse, irrelevant of who won/protects this right and if we agree with it or not. Your Vietnam veteran seemed to understand this.

In the UK there was a lot of criticism of Tony Blair; a number of prominent members of Parliament resigned in protest - whilst this made the news headlines for a number of days I don't remember a massive public outcry or indeed criticism being leveled against them for expressing their opinion.

Did you have any friends, family or loved ones killed on September 11th?
Was your nation attacked?
Was your city attacked?
Have YOU ever had YOUR balls on the line?
Are any of your friends or family in the war right now?


I was about to say that I feel those questions are irrelevant, but actually I think they explain a lot of the issues I am addressing - what I actually mean is that these questions are irrelevant to the comments that the DC's made and therefore cannot be an excuse for the treatment the DC's were subjected to. The DC's simply expressed a belief that they do not believe their President was taking the correct course of action NOT that they didn't support troops or that they don't feel empathy for the families and victims of terrorism. Terrorism and war are emotive subjects and I can't help but feel that the DC's comments were misinterpreted and taken out of context (due to the emotive climate in the USA) to mean more than they actually did.

Let me just add - I'm not against the war in Iraq in the slightest, but I fully respect other peoples rights to disagree and most importantly that they should not suffer harassment and threatening behaviour due to their beliefs.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Boston, Ma
Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Nefer » Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:24 pm

:oops:

Yes I did... will remedy that to add a quote from SotSF :)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
User avatar
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby Penitent » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:59 pm

I’m not American but I have lived in the US for the best part of the last seven years. It is a great country where people have a lot of rights. What gets forgotten from time to time is that with every right comes a responsibility. Freedom of speech is the perfect example, you can say whatever you want as long as you are ready to take responsibility for your actions and accept the consequences.

In the case of Irak; there are certain things that cannot be left to the court of public opinion and whether we like it or not going to war is one of them. The reality is that nobody knows the real or complete reasons that triggered that decision.

I joined the Army the day Desert Storm started, and I was short listed to go to Saudi Arabia, nobody asked me or any of the others if we wanted to go and we certainly didn’t have the whole story of why. It America would have had a referendum to decide if they should go and invade Normandy during the WWII and the result would have been “NO” the world today would be very different and probably we would not even be talking about this today.

The Dixie Chicks belong to that group of artists that do not have a defined stile. Their music is not Country or pop, some sort of estrange "in between". These artists achieve phenomenal success for a sort period of time, but they never sustain the test of time.

Their uninformed remarks and opinions already alienated them years ago. It's OK not to apologize if you actually believe in what you say. But if you are trying to come back at least do not talk about it, let it go, don't remind your fans, people are forgiving, just do what you do best; music.

Unfortunately they still go at it in their new CD, the songs are permeated by the controversy and hate they generated, the vocals sound whinny, and the music overproduced
The Penitent
User avatar
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:42 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Postby J » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:29 pm

Where were you
when they built the ladder to heaven...
The good that men do is oft interred with their bones
but the evil that men do lives on
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:53 am
Location: Australia

Here's both Barrels

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:26 pm

Penitent, Thank you brother, you summed up an awful lot with your post.

Nefer, Not to be rude, but...
You are a young woman studying to be a teacher. That is great, the world needs teachers, however you must understand that you are making a choice to never leave school. University life is by it's nature a very liberal world. Few students have ever had any responsibilities other than themselves and their grades, and yet they believe they know what is right and wrong in all the world. THEY HAVEN"T CUT THEIR IMBILICAL CORDS FROM MOM AND DAD YET.
Not to be rude, but...
The Government of Canada is nothing to write home about, and the high voter turn out last election had to do with the crumbling debacle of a government.
Not to be rude, but...
"he has not made the best decisions/brainless ploy/self-destruction/ashamed"
Of course you meant to be rude Nefer,
I offended your idea of what is right, an ideal from a liberal university atmosphere fed by an anti-conservative press. that is NOT to say that your opinion is not valid, it is just that you are surrounded by people with a narrow view of the world, and most still haven't personally experienced the fact that the press is dishonest, anti-conservative and has it's own agenda: an agenda that doesn't bother to be truthful most of the time.
"Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story." The same press told me that getting the mistakes in my fathers obituary corrected wasn't important because obituaries were "classified the same as editorials and weren't subject to corrections" They have also misrepresented events in that I witnessed on several occasions.

Matbow,
Where the heck did you get a"with drawl" of freedom of speech? "Special circumstances?" My point is that you picked a group that you thought sounded good, hey no problem. Maybe you thought that the lead singer was cute, okay no problem there either, but when you get into the whole situation that they got themselves into, and defend them, then that my friend ticks me off.
The questions are not irrelevant, they are qualifications for my opinions, and feelings. "When you walk a mile in my moccasins then you can talk to me".
The DC's pissed off the public and showed how stupid they were.
They can now deal with the fallout.
Ask yourself if you think the other girls in the band were pissed off at Natalie.

J, Please go back to quoting "The Tattooed Millionaire".

I AM an American Veteran, and I vote. I was born into the privileges and responsibilities of being FREE. I served my country and I participate in it.
After my country was attacked by terrorists I have become less forgiving of criticisms of my President and our foreign policies. When you are at war you must unify against a common foe, not seed dissension with needless criticisms.
Last edited by Son of the Silver Fox on Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
User avatar
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Washington D.C.
Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Nefer » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 pm

Penitent wrote:The reality is that nobody knows the real or complete reasons that triggered that decision.


While I realise that yes, my experience in the world is limited (freely admitted) and I also know there are no black and white regions in the world, I do believe in the concept of democracy.

One of the motivations for me to be a teacher is to help students become critical thinkers, and to be educated enough to make informed decisions.

In a democracy, decisions are made by popular vote, and those decisions must be made by well-informed, self thinking citizens.

When the leader of a country makes a decision to invade another country based on mis-information, and suffers the populace to follow his folly, then who ever wants to make a statement regarding that folly has a right to do so. How many times did the world urge patience when Bush went into Iraq, for no reason what-so-ever? There was no provocation, besides that which Saddam H. has always been providing since the Gulf War.

Unfortunately history has been written, and there's nothing left to do but for us to debate the validity of it all.

By the way, I don't think that there has been such disrespect for any world leader as has been shown for Bush. Take from that what you will.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
User avatar
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:32 pm

Nefer wrote:In a democracy, decisions are made by popular vote, and those decisions must be made by well-informed, self thinking citizens.
Unfortunately history has been written, and there's nothing left to do but for us to debate the validity of it all.
By the way, I don't think that there has been such disrespect for any world leader as has been shown for Bush. Take from that what you will.


Yes in an idealized world, you would be correct. however once a President is elected he has the job of being the key decision maker. The citizens may vote against that President in the next election but the military must obey him during his/her term as Commander In Chief.

"History has been written" try looking in a high school textbook and reading about the events that you have personally witnessed. you will find tons of fabrications and misrepresentations. just because it is written does NOT mean that it is even close to true. See your history about Harry S. Truman, Bush is a lot like him. I think history will be kind to him

"Misinformed?" Where do you think that the WMD's went? Jordan probably! or do you believe that they never existed? It's not like a guy who buys the Super Gun Rail System, Sarin gas, and Scuds with BCN capabilities is going to stop because you ask nicely, and he still was getting anything he wanted through French and Canadian contractors usually coming in through Jordan.

"Disrespect for Bush", if the press hates him than he must be doing a damn good job. honestly Abraham Lincoln would never have been elected in today's atmosphere because he was ugly and freakishly tall. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson would have been scandalized in the press because both were womanizers. not saying Bush is them but he is unfairly treated by the press.
President Bush, when he is reading a prepared speech is a poor public speaker, but to see him speak in an informal setting you can see he is sincere and passionate and he is not a dummy. He suffers from the fact that he is a conservative Christian right winger that the press loves to loath.

George Bush is not my favorite President, he is however my President.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
User avatar
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Washington D.C.
Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Nefer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:02 am

Son of the Silver Fox wrote:George Bush is not my favorite President, he is however my President.


May all leaders have such loyal followers :)

And what I meant by history has been written - I meant that there's no changing what has happened re DC, the War, etc. What remains to be seen is the fall out, what ever it may be.

And back to the whole topic of freedom of speech, it is certainly a right. And no-one can then claim to say that some members of the public (who ever they may be) cannot express said freedoms, even though blood is being spilled for their right to do so; because then that right is null and void. The freedoms the States hopes to give Iraq are the same it needs to continually practise on it's home soil.

The very second someone is afraid to voice an opinion in a democracy changes the democracy into something else. No-one should ever be afraid to voice their protest, especially on an issue like this.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
User avatar
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:20 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC

Postby Penitent » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Nefer,

When I wrote that nobody knew the real reasons that triggered the invasion I meant us, the public; not Congress. Let’s give Bush a break, after all he does not have the power to declare war or authorize an invasion. It is the 500+ members of Congress that decided that. So, probably they know something we don’t know. Probably they had some intelligence similar to 9/11 that could not again interpret and this time they decided to take action.

Bush is an easy target to make fun and to ridicule. He certainly is not the best president America ever had, but on 9/11 he was put on an extreme situation that none of us would like to be in. Just for that I give him the benefit of the doubt and I recognize that under those circumstances he has done a fine job.

As for the freedom of speech, you are right for the most part. As long as that right is used in combination with common sense.
The Penitent
User avatar
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:42 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Postby Matbow » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:26 pm

Guys, I know I'm participating in this debate as much as anyone, but can we try to avoid the personal jibes...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Boston, Ma
Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Matbow » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:04 pm

Where the heck did you get a"withdrawl" of freedom of speech?


The (level of) critiscism the DC's received can be seen as a negative sanction imposed by society - a punishment for exerting their right to Freedom of Speech. I'm sure a lot of people thought twice before making similar comments...

...an ideal from a liberal university atmosphere fed by an anti-conservative press...surrounded by people with a narrow view of the world.


You're implying that Nefer's opinion is biased because she is a student, but didn't you just say University was a Liberal environment? The very definition of Liberalism emphasizes the existence of and freedom to exchange ideas - hardly a situation that would cultivate a narrow view of the world.

To give an example and highlight my point - whilst I was at at university the students who I shared a flat/dorm/hall with included a guy from Palestine with Christian beliefs, a homosexual Conversative party member, a Muslim socialist, a blind guy, a guy with a terminal medical condition (cystic fibrosis) and a computer geek. Amongst us we most certainly didn't have a narrow view of the world and after a couple of conversations/debates with these guys neither did I!

University is a period of time where people become adults, develop their beliefs and actually sever their umbilical cords. The "liberal environment" of a university facilitates these changes; a microcosm of society where students are taught to think about issues (rather than just accept things at face value) and where every point of view on a situation is available. I fail to see why this would make a students opinion invalid or ill informed, in fact I would argue it's an opinion more educated than a lot of people in the world.

Also, isn't it true to say that your opinion is biased by the fact that you're a Veteran of the US forces? Surely an environment which removes individualism and fosters complete acceptance of official orders without questioning them?

Getting back to the Dixie Chicks issue - it was a stupid thing to say and I can see why they have been critiscised. If I was to say a similar thing in the pub on a Friday night I'd expect some people to agree, some not too - but I wouldn't expect anyone to threaten me or friends to walk away in disgust. As Nefer mentioned, if people live in a society where they fear reprisals for expressing opinions then they might as well be living in a society Governed by the Taliban or the Ba'ath party.

Again, let me clarify - I'm not defending what was said, I'm defending her right to say it and not suffer the degree backlash she did.

Just as a footnote - I stated earlier that I supported the invasion of Iraq, the reason why was not because I wanted revenge, or that I thought it would reduce the risk of terrorist attacks - it's because I felt it would liberate the people of Iraq and give them the freedom we take for granted. I'm an idealist - what can I say?!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Boston, Ma
Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Penitent » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:27 pm

I want to point out again that freedom of speech should be used with responsibility and common sense. And the more prominent or famous you are the more caution should be used.

Let me explain, if I go to a pub and make the same comments DC made I can expect some animosity and hopefully it ends there. When DC make the same comments people stop buying their records and going to their concerts. As a result, concert promoters will lose money or go bankrupt; people will miss on business opportunities or lose their jobs all together. The outcome is very different, depending on who you are.
The Penitent
User avatar
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:42 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Postby Matbow » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:15 pm

Penitent wrote:And the more prominent or famous you are the more caution should be used.


Yeah, good point. I wonder whether the DC's planned to use their concert to make a political statement or whether it was a spur of the moment thing, not realising it would have the effect it did...
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Boston, Ma
Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Penitent, congratulations on your avatar.
Nefer & the Guy's,
We have opened a dialog (a little heated) about this subject where people have widely differing views, if I personally Jibed you, please accept my apology.
Obviously Matt, my view on this issue and others is colored by my life experiences as is all of ours.
When you wrote about your university experiences you mentioned the diversity among the students' backgrounds. Was there a great diversity among the faculty? I would think that if a Professor wishes to ever be tenured he or she must go with the group mentality of what is acceptable. Please grant me this point, this usually is an anti-military, anti-establishment, socialistic mind set.
More to come....
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
User avatar
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Washington D.C.
Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Matbow » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:48 pm

Son of the Silver Fox wrote:Was there a great diversity among the faculty?


The term faculty isn't one that's used over here in the UK, but if you're referring to the academic staff, then yes there was/is. I've just had a quick look at the website and copied over the first few people off the staff list:

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/econ/profiles/index.htm

Academic Staff - Research Profiles

ATANASOVA, Christina Dr., BSc(Sofia), MSc(York), PhD(Leeds).
Volatility and Efficiency of Financial Markets, Financial Econometrics.

BALASKO, Yves Professor, Ecole Normale Superieure (Paris), Dsc (Paris Dauphine)
General Equilibrium, Public and Welfare Economics, Regulatory Economics, Business Cycles, Economic Development.

BHATTACHARYA, Anindya Dr., BSc(Calcutta), PhD(Indian Statistical Institute).
Game Theory, Political Economy, Microeconomic Issues of Less-developed Economies.

BONE, John Mr., BA(Oxford), MSc(Southampton).
Individual and Collective Choice, Experimental Economics.

BOWDEN, Sue Professor, BA(London), PhD(LSE).
Modern Economic History, Historical Demography, Long Run International Growth and Development, Business History.

BRAVO, Francesco Dr., BA(Udine), MSc(Southampton), PhD(Southampton).
Econometric Theory.

BRECCIA, Adriana Dr., BSc(Rome), MA(CORIPE, Turin), MSc(Birkbeck, Univ. of London), PhD(Birkbeck, Univ. of London).
Real Option Valuation in Corporate Finance, Bargaining and Renegotiation Models.

CHATTOPADHYAY, Subir. Professor, BSc(Calcutta), MA and PhD(SUNY Stony Brook)
Dynamic General Equilibrium.


I guess it's at this point where I should clarify that whilst this would be fairly representative of Yorks academic staff, it probably isn't for most UK universities. At the risk of sounding big headed - York's an excellent uni and the Economics department is probably one of the top 5 in the country (and therefore attracts a lot more international staff than "lesser" universities).

I would think that if a Professor wishes to ever be tenured he or she must go with the group mentality of what is acceptable. Please grant me this point, this usually is an anti-military, anti-establishment, socialistic mind set.



Historically speaking then yes I'd agree - a number of universities were associated with socialist and anti-establishment thinking, but I doubt this is the case nowadays (in the UK at least). I can only speak from my own experience but at York there wasn't overriding political attitude amongst the staff and I never felt that a certain political belief/agenda was being imposed on me.

It might be worth noting here that in the UK Universities are funded by the Government - I doubt they'd be allowed to become anti-establishment "hot beds" anymore. In the US that might be different, especially if they have benefactors with their own agendas...

One interesting thing that might be of interest:

Centre for Defence Economics

The Centre for Defence Economics undertakes research into all aspects of the economics of conflict, defence, disarmament, conversion, peace and conflict. The Centre works closely with the Department of Economics.

The Centre has a range of activities including:

1. research and consultancy undertaken for government and industry
2. information, statistical and advisory services
3. lecturing
4. access to national and international networks of scholars and researchers
5. publication of the journal Defence and Peace Economics (Taylor and Francis)

Current Research :

* Economics of conflict
* Defence profits
* The economics of the UK arms trade
* Supply chain studies
* Defence industrial base studies
* Public procurement in the Single European Market: the case of defence
* Defence procurement policy
* Country Survey: the UK
* Future of NATO
* All volunteer force
* Efficiency of armed forces


Although, having said all that I'd say most of the learning I did in Uni wasn't in a formal academic situation, and didn't involve staff! Their effect on me as a person and my beliefs was pretty non existent!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster
 
Posts: 1545
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Boston, Ma
Currently Reading: Desert God

Re: Here's both Barrels

Postby J » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:03 am

Son of the Silver Fox wrote:J, Please go back to quoting "The Tattooed Millionaire".



Yeah, I'm not really into Bruce's solo stuff, more a fan of his work with Maiden. Unless of course you are refering to Bruce as The TM. Then again Harris writes all the lyrics and that line from The Evil That Men Do is actually taken from a Shakespeare play.

But the Southpark quote is with reference to musicians exploiting disasterous events for their own gain. Maybe I missed what we're actually talking about, I apologise for my ignorance.
The good that men do is oft interred with their bones
but the evil that men do lives on
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:53 am
Location: Australia

Re: Here's both Barrels

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:33 pm

J wrote:
Son of the Silver Fox wrote:J, Please go back to quoting "The Tattooed Millionaire".



Yeah, I'm not really into Bruce's solo stuff, more a fan of his work with Maiden. Unless of course you are referring to Bruce as The TM. Then again Harris writes all the lyrics and that line from The Evil That Men Do is actually taken from a Shakespeare play.

But the Southpark quote is with reference to musicians exploiting disasterous events for their own gain. Maybe I missed what we're actually talking about, I apologise for my ignorance.

J, Sorry I didn't get the reference to South Park.
"Holy Smoke", :twisted: I LOVE Maiden, Powerslave Tour 1985 started it, and like you I don't think much of Bruce's' solo work, and yeah, that's the TM. Seeing you quoting from "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" when you should have been quoting from "The Trooper" is unforgivable :lol: :lol:
Yes, "The evil that men do lives on and on." "Brave New World" would have been good too.
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
User avatar
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Washington D.C.
Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh


Return to Music

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest