Wild Justice

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

How would you rate this book?

10 - Excellent
25%
13%
25%
38%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
0 - Dreadful
No votes

Total votes : 8

Wild Justice

Postby Nathan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:52 am

Having just finished reading Wild Justice today and finding there is no "definitive" topic for it (poll included) I thought I'd best create one now and share my views on this 1979 offering.

Having already been aware of the synopsis (modern setting, terrorism etc.) I picked up this book expecting a change from the usual Wilbur format. And I was in for a pleasant little treat. I finished this book in five days and I really enjoyed it. The characters of Peter and Magda were well-developed and...

Spoiler:
I was very nearly cheering out loud when it is revealed that Magda is not Caliph but is in fact a very powerful ally*

I've never wanted a fictitious man and woman to get together as much as I willed these two on.

The acts of terrorism depicted in the novel, particularly the opening hijack and the kidnapping of Peter's daughter made for some very harrowing reading indeed, particularly in the aftermath of 9/11. This is a very tense rollercoaster ride indeed.

The only negative I must bring up in my personal opinion is the APPAULLING anti-climax at the end when Caliph is finally revealed. First I thought: "You what?" and then I was left disappointed when his motives were not 100% explained. I would rather have hoped for a big discussion and revealing secrets from the past akin to the conversation between Magda and Peter on the yacht, followed by a fight and then the death of Caliph.

So all in all, I would give this an 8/10. Definitely worth reading.

Edited to add spoiler
Nathan

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books