Eagle in the Sky

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

Eagle in the Sky

Postby Nefer » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:18 pm

I know I said I don't like WS's stand-alones, but I actually enjoyed this one too! The quiz questions made me remember how much I did like it :)

David's character was very nicely crafted - particularly enjoyed the portrayal of him after he looses his physical hotness in the fire. Didn't think WS would scar his main man that way, but it just goes to show, you never know with Mr. Wilbur :)

I liked the history lesson too, as I don't know much about the Israel-Palestine thing. The only other book I got some info. on the topic was from one by Jeffrey Archer... I forget the name of it right now, I'll look it up on my bookshelf & post it up later.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Phils_jd » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:35 am

Yes I must agree with you. I found it interesting. I dont rate it very high maybe a 6 or 6.5. I found the part of the Book about his development and then disfigurement very good, maybe 8 not sure about a 9, but when he comes home and sets up home with his wife or girlfriend I thought it was written by someone else - it was shit.
Phils_jd
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:30 am

I really liked the book and thought it was the most emotionally moving one that WS has written. Then again i did read it at a slightly sad time in my life so that may have had something to do with it. I think i might have even gone just over an 8 and given this one a 9.
The Arab/Israeli conflict i have studied in depth during my student years and to this day i really don't know where people are coming from when they are so anti-Isreali, most of whom don't seem to know the history of it all. Anyway that's a real hot potato so its best to keep away.
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Nichiren » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:40 pm

i found that this is one of the most agonizingle beautiful books i have read. so much feeling and passion is thrown around that i was left with one feeling after reading it. 'wow' :wink:
Nichiren

Eagle In The Sky

Postby Son of the Silver Fox » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:07 pm

This on is a good beach read, something fun to plow through when the brain is in neutral. The plot is pretty thin, but in the right context still fun.[spoiler]Young, handsome,shiftless, millionaire playboy meets Israeli beauty and her brother while vacationing on the continent and immediatley falls in love. He follows her to Isreal becomes a Ace jet pilot and wins the girl, only to lose her and get his face burned off after his reckless piloting causes the death of the brother...trials and tribulation and wins the girl again, happily off into the sunset. 6 out of 10[/spoiler]
"Ignorance doesn't suck for the ignorant they just don't know any better."
Son of the Silver Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: All Things Must Figh

Postby Jo Fitz » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:03 am

This was the first Wilbur I read. My dad lent it to me when i was about sixteen. It completely blew me away. The most beautiful and moving love story i have ever read. It will always be one of my favourites of all time.
This book started my obsession with Mr Smith. I have now read all his books. some of them such as this one, half a dozen or more times.
I am so addicted..........
Jo Fitz

Postby Monsoon » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:29 pm

It completely blew me away. The most beautiful and moving love story i have ever read.

Hey another one like me who found this book to be a pretty emotional one :cry:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Re: Eagle in the Sky

Postby Thilo » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:49 am

Nefer wrote:....about the Israel-Palestine thing. The only other book .....

If someone wants to read good story books which - in the same way as WS puts the story within a specific historic context – uses this theme, you can read books of Herman Wouk (The Hope and follow up The Glory). Leon Uris also have good one’s – Especially Exodus and The Haj.
Thilo

Postby Alysha » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:38 am

Aww really, I cant believe so many people didnt rate this book? It's prob my second fave W.S book (behind R.G) - i thought it was so lovely, i think I cried...
I guess im a soppy romantic :wink:
alysha
Alysha

Postby Matbow » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:56 pm

I read this just before Christmas and to me, this book proves that Wilbur needs to write a thriller set in modern times - the first half of the book with the jet planes, terrorism and other "modern-ish themes" was brilliantly written!

I was slightly concerned with the initial direction of the novel, I have my own views about the Israeli/Palestinian issue and it appeared that Wilbur was talking the viewpoint which somewhat contradicted my own. I now understand how many native Africans and Boers could quite easily become offended by some of Wiburs books. It's not that Wilbur writes things that aren't true - Arab's did (and still do) terrorise Israel, but there was no explanation why they were taking these actions.

Anyway, back to the book. Once I'd "got over" my initial objections I really did enjoy it and I found it really hard to put down. The bit where the planes crashes and the main character dude (I can't remember his name) gets burned alive was excruciatingly brilliant - I was squirming in my seat.

I didn't enjoy the second half of the novel as much and I found it pretty predictable, with Wilbur reverting back to his formula of Africa, hunting and a couple building a homestead. It's not that it became a bad book, just that it became a little too girly for my liking!

Not a bad book, the first half was excellent - with a bit more historic detail of Israeli conflict in the first half and less predictable mushy stuff in the second half this could have been one of my favourite Wilbur books...as it is I'm giving it a 7 out of 10.
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Danny Ramone » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:28 am

This one is one of my favorites, i am another one who found a sense of loss myself when David's life pretty much fell down around him.

If I may offer my own opinion on the whole Israel/Palestine thing. I think it is a conflict that will never have a moral winner, that is to say no side will ever be right. This is the same conflict that has been going since the crusades. I noticed WS uses jewish people in a few other books maybe there is a slight bias?
Danny Ramone

Currently Reading: power of the sword

Postby kinko64 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:29 am

I just finished the book. I thought it was brilliant, but not as brilliant as say, the sunbird. I liked the lovestory angle en the way the main character gets mutilated kept me up wat past my bedtime. The second part of the novel (as someone else already stated) is a bit the good old wilbur smith formula, however this didn't bother me.
kinko64

Currently Reading: Eagle in the sky

Postby sharyjoon2 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:10 pm

I first read this book when I was 12 and for some reason i read it again at 47. It's a really 'nice' book and I do thin that WS could have done more with the story line. I get the feeling he started the book with the intention of writing something really special and half way through got bored and rushed it to the finish.
The ending is poor but may work well in a film . I am surprised the book has not been made into a film - it's a much better movie script than a book.
sharyjoon2

Postby johnrogers » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:22 pm

sharyjoon2 wrote:I first read this book when I was 12 and for some reason i read it again at 47. It's a really 'nice' book and I do thin that WS could have done more with the story line. I get the feeling he started the book with the intention of writing something really special and half way through got bored and rushed it to the finish.
The ending is poor but may work well in a film . I am surprised the book has not been made into a film - it's a much better movie script than a book.

Hi shayjoon

I have read all of Wilburs standalones and I like them a lot.My fave is Sunbird by a long shot - the storyline had all the componets,secret civilizations,hidden cities,treasure,etc.Eagle In The Sky was a great book as well.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby Morwenna » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:35 am

Its not unusual for me to become emotionally involved in Wilbur Smith's books but this one was in a class of its own.

Never do I sneak a look at the end of a book but I did whilst reading 'Eagle in the Sky' because I was so heartbroken and thought I couldn't finish it. :shock:

I've recommended it to several people as an introduction to WS.

It is indeed interesting how an author of the stature of Wilbur Smith can induce such polarised opinions from his readers but imho that is the real skill of The Masterstoryteller. =D>
Morwenna

Currently Reading: Gold Mine

Postby EarlyBirdie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Since I read fiction novels to be entertained, I really enjoyed this book. David's disconfiguration is a typical WS surprise to the extent that it made me unsure of how the book would end and that's always a plus in any novel.
EarlyBirdie

Currently Reading: Shanks For Nothing

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books