The Dark Of The Sun

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

How do you rate this book?

10 - Excellent
25%
9 out of 10
5%
8 out of 10
10%
7 out of 10
25%
6 out of 10
30%
5 or below - Very Poor
5%

Total votes : 20

Postby Nathan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:23 pm

I've almost finished reading this, my second Wilbur novel, and I can honestly say it's one of the greatest books I've ever read. I can relate to Bruce's feelings of loneliness and depression as I feel exactly the same way most of the time. I love the way Haig gets to redeem himself in the hospital and start over and I feel a shiver down my spine every time the name of Hendry is mentioned. That man is one sick psycho and one of the most memorable villains I've encountered. Ruffy is a great feel-good character as well.
Nathan

Re: The Dark Of The Sun

Postby tonypark » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:52 am

Does anyone remember the "Tears of the Sun"? - the Bruce Willis movie set in Africa a few years ago?

I'm a fan of Dark of the Sun - I actually think it's one of his best standalone books. If you supplant US Navy Seals for mercenaries, then the plot of Tear of the Sun is remarkable similar to Dark of the Sun.

But nowhere - at least not that I could see - in the credits or the many reviews was any acknowledgement/homage to what must have been the inspiration.

The best (and possibly the only good) thing to come out of Tears of the Sun was Bruce's now immortal exhortation to one of the characters to "cowboy the f* up"
tonypark

Re: The Dark Of The Sun

Postby vincent » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:46 am

Why is this one so difficult to get in hard cover in South Africa?
vincent

Location: Howick, Natal Midlands,South Africa. Close to Ladyburg!!!!
Currently Reading: The white whirlwind

Previous

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books