Those in Peril - SPOILER ALERT

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

How do you rate Those in Peril?

10 - Excellent!
4%
8%
12%
8%
12%
5 - Average
15%
12%
15%
No votes
1 - Awful
15%

Total votes : 26

Re: Those in Peril - SPOILER ALERT

Postby johnrogers » Mon May 16, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi Nippydan

I do have an author you may want to explore and I sincerely suggest you check out his website www.conniggulden.com - There are two four book series and if interested make a point of reading them in the correct order

The Emperor Series - about the reign of Julius Caesar

The Conqueror Series - an epic story of Genghius Khan dynasty

A couple of others that I really like are of course Dan Brown author of Angels and Demons and I am sure you have read some of his and Stieg Larsson who wrote the Girl with the Golden Tattoo series.I could go on and on however look in to these offerings they might tweak your interest.
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby nippydan » Tue May 17, 2011 6:26 am

Cheers JR, have read and fully enjoyed both of those series of Conn's books. I've not touched Stig Larrson's books yet so may give them a read next once I've finished with Jacq's round of books. Just ordered When the Lion feeds from the Library as not read it for about 12 years so should be good to go back and start again too.

All the best

Dan
nippydan

Currently Reading: homers odyssey

Postby johnrogers » Tue May 17, 2011 4:07 pm

nippydan wrote:Cheers JR, have read and fully enjoyed both of those series of Conn's books. I've not touched Stig Larrson's books yet so may give them a read next once I've finished with Jacq's round of books. Just ordered When the Lion feeds from the Library as not read it for about 12 years so should be good to go back and start again too.

All the best

Dan

Ok if you have read all of Conn Igguden and you really liked them try www.garyjennings.net - he wrote a series about the ancient aztecs - 3 books in the series read them in order first one I think is called Aztec ( but double check it has been a long time since I read them ) - they rival Wilbur or Conn believe it or not .
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby bayside » Wed May 18, 2011 11:59 am

After finishing "Peril" my first thought was that I was glad I had checked it out from our local library instead of spending the $27.99 (plus tax) to buy it. I agree with what another contributor wrote, "The publisher must be milking a sacred cow." I have never been a puritan -- by any, (and I mean any) stretch of the imagination -- but the raunchy, inter-racial sex was absolutely nauseating -- reminiscent, somewhat, of Tara's misguided adventures with Moses Gama, in "Rage". In both cases, the "evil black devil" was using the love-smitten-sex-starved, wealthy white woman to further his aims, while also making himself sexually available to a white homosexual, and using him, at the same time, to pursue his evil aims.

There are parts of this book where W/S's descriptive genius clearly shows,however. For example: "She appeared in the doorway, and paused there, looking about her. Hector was reminded of a leopard balancing on the high bough of a Manula tree surveying its prey before it sprang," or "Her eyes were a shade of blue that reminded him of sunlight radiating through the walls of an ice cave in a high mountain crevasse."

On the whole, though, I found the plot far too contrived, implausible, and totally predictable.

I read several members-critiques of "Assegai" and, in spite of the criticisms, I found the book wonderfully crafted, with brilliant description -- though somewhat implausible. However, the Germans actually did attempt to supply their army in Tanganyika by zeppelin (in 1916) and that made the story even more believable.
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Postby Nefer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:46 pm

I haven't read everyone's thoughts on this book... I want to post my thoughts first.

So... 4/10. Not his best.

The characters were two dimensional, the conversations stilted (no-one talks the way they do! Monosyllabic blah. David dear chap, let's get some guns blow those chappies out of the water. Huzzah. I was rolling me eyes everytime someone had something to say - so basically; all the time.) All his other characters have such depth and range and intelligence; Hector and whatshername Banock.. gah. Boring.

Cayla had the potential to be a wild child like Isabella - a chance for growth and development; scuppered by her sad kidnapping and subsequent rape. (Have noticed a pattern where if the white girl sleeps with a 'native'; she has no chance of redemption - see the older sister of the twins in Assegai). So I knew she was a goner.

Of course Adam had to be a pedophile... he couldn't just be a golden-shower giving power hungry moron (BTW GROSS! I see Wilbur has been reading gossip about John Mayer - who it is rumored gave a similar golden shower to Jennifer Aniston and others.)

The plot had so much potential to go into history of the people of Somalia who are the pirates. Wilbur's stories always present both sides of the story; there's often a gray area and I root for both sides. This story was black and white. Again; boring.

I'm kinda glad that I got the book at 50% off (paid $20 after taxes) or I'd be really upset at having spent the money.

I think I'll never be excited about a new WS novel again. The magic ended when Danielle (the crazy wife) died. He lost his mojo when he married Mokhiniso. Not that I'm saying I wish he didn't marry her - just that I noticed his novels are not the same.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby tedd » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:17 am

I think your last little paragraph is right Nefer. He did change his style at that point. Maybe Danielle influenced his writing or even helped with it by making suggestions as he progressed. She was an author herself and although I've never read her books she obviously had some talent in that direction. It could be that Mokhiniso is now contributing/suggesting - it's been mentioned several times on this website that it seems as if his style has changed. Anyway - that's all 'ifs' 'could bes' and surmises on my part
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Majidi Girl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:33 am

Wilbur Smith is my all-time favourite author, and when I saw that he had a new book out, what a delight it was to look forward to several evenings of engaging reading on my new ipad2. I did not expect to be so utterly disappointed. There is hardly any trace of the wonderful wordsmith and consummate story-teller that I've know Wilbur Smith to be ... Those in Peril is trashy, not credible, and its characters are at best, 2-dimensional. Mr Smith - what happened?? I CANNOT believe that you wrote it, because what's in the novel does not sound like you at all - including the flow of the story. I have read almost all of your books in the different series, as well as the standalone ones. Please, please redeem yourself in your next release!!
Majidi Girl

Currently Reading: Those in Peril

Postby nippydan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:57 am

Thanks JR, I'll investigate Gary Jennings and let you know. It appears quite a few of the regulars are agreeing with me. I lent the book to my dad who has had to stop reading it, siting the unnecessary rape and love scenes and the completely predictable plot.

I would like to think that a writer of Wilbur's stature would not be having to rush a book through for a deadline. I wonder if Danielle was good at telling him when something he'd written was, well, kak and his second wife being probably more submissive just tells him everything is wonderful?

Just a thought.
nippydan

Currently Reading: homers odyssey

Postby johnrogers » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi Nippydan

Well I have read all the posts regarding WS and his novel Those In Peril - it looks like I have been out voted at least 10 to 1 as far as the quality of the book - My wife Kelly has just started to read it she just finished Eagles in the Sky.

I admit I have been a little to generous with my 10 out of 10 vote and I will agree that it was not in the same spectrum as many of his books but I really did like the story line modern day pirates held up in a secret cove plundering the open seas.It is interesting to read the posts and hear all the disgust in the overly descriptive sex and rape scenes ( I did not enjoy them either ) not that I am a prude but I did not expect that from WS.Regardless I did find the book to be at least at par with most of the standalones that WS has written - therefore Those in Peril to me no better or no worse than any of his previous standalone offerings.I wonder how many copies of the book WS sold - I have almost daily postings from WS facebook site on my wifes facebook page.One thing I will tell is WS marketed and sold this book like no other I bet he made a ton of $$$$$$$$$$$ - If you have not please do this - search out WS on facebook and look over his page it is amazing.
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby rafiki » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:39 am

Those In Peril: very unfortunately WS has lost it in my opinion. Romance has always been part of the formula but in this book it is horribly slushy, too sentimental and doesn't suit the characters of the couple involved; the violence OTT.
rafiki

Currently Reading: Assegai

Postby E-Hoog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:29 am

I completely forgot about Those in Peril. Looks like I will be reading it soon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Those-Peril-Wil ... 246&sr=8-3
7-Oct-2011 :-)
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Currently Reading: D-Day - Stephen Ambrose / Rage - Wilbur Smith

Postby rafiki » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:15 am

I bought mine second hand from Amazon UK for 1 penny and £3.50 postage to Spain. The hardback was in mint condition. Glad I hadn't paid the new price because I was very disappointed with the book.
rafiki

Postby chookie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:54 pm

johnrogers wrote:Just a note regarding some of the reviews and opinions on this post

Do not make a judgement on this book until you have read it - a lot of the comments on Wilburs offering Those in Peril have not been that great not only on this website but others as well.I have not read it yet but find it hard to believe that Wilbur could ever write a not so goo novel.I have read every one of his a have never read one that I did not like.

Read it and do not go by reviews and opinions only :shock:

I must agree with you John Rodgers.
Most of the comments of other people can at times be misleading and turn people off that particular writer.
To me the brilliance of Wilbur Smith is nothing short of perfect.
I have read every book so far I am now waiting for the paperback version of his lattest book, I cant wait for it to arrive.
My book store that I deal with has a list of what I want and they let me know when a book comes in and there prices are pretty good to.

Regards.
chookie

Currently Reading: In between books.

Postby AuroraWind » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:11 pm

I finished the book quite quickly, it took me only a few days. Which doesn't mean I liked it.

The pace was rather fast, except for the part in the middle where Hazel and Hector date each other, get married, and so on.

But when I finished it I realized that I had read it simply out of curiosity, that no character had really grown on me and that the story was banal. There wasn't any special personality and every character was rather stereotyped: Hector Cross is the classic superman while Hazel is practically a wonder woman who can run God only knows how many miles without feeling the least bit tired, and be a perfect businesswoman, and have a wonderful life, and look wonderful, and, and, and...Come on, this just isn't realistic!

It is true that nearly every WS's book has a perfect character or two, but they all still have some faults. Take Shasa: he is a brilliant businessman and an international polo player, he's handsome and very lucky with women but he still has so many faults...He couldn't bring up his children properly, he failed to understand his wife and his political opinions are sometimes a matter for debate.

So, while I found the other "nearly perfect" characters quite credible, these ones have no real personality and aren't at all plausible.

Besides, in this book I didn't find as much love and interest for the history and nature of South Africa as in the others.

One more thing: am I the only one to note a certain resemblance between the pair "Zayn al Din - Abubaker" (Monsoon) and "Adam Tippu Tip (the hell with his name...)- Utmann Waddah"?
AuroraWind

Currently Reading: 50 grandi idee di matematica

Postby Nefer » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:42 pm

AuroraWind wrote:One more thing: am I the only one to note a certain resemblance between the pair "Zayn al Din - Abubaker" (Monsoon) and "Adam Tippu Tip (the hell with his name...)- Utmann Waddah"?

Ye olde character recycling - you weren't the only one who noticed!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby E-Hoog » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:29 am

I'm about 2/5th through now and I have to say I am positively surprised. And I also think that's thanks to you guys :). Here I was expecting an appaling, horrific, terrible book, but I'm actually enjoying it. Okay, the sex is a bit too much (understatement) and the plot is not overly developed. But as a stand-alone, quick read I'm enjoying it. No, it's no Monsoon or River God, but still.

But then again, I still have the other 3/5th to go...
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby johnrogers » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:53 pm

E-Hoog wrote:I'm about 2/5th through now and I have to say I am positively surprised. And I also think that's thanks to you guys :). Here I was expecting an appaling, horrific, terrible book, but I'm actually enjoying it. Okay, the sex is a bit too much (understatement) and the plot is not overly developed. But as a stand-alone, quick read I'm enjoying it. No, it's no Monsoon or River God, but still.

But then again, I still have the other 3/5th to go...

Hi EHoog
Agree with you 100% - Simply put I had a lot of fun reading the book,and I thought the storyline was very much in step with modern times - No one can spin it quite like Wilbur Smith - Not every offering can be a Monsoon or a River God.

I am now off to pay tribute to Canadian soldiers who died for our country - It is Remembrance Day in Canada
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Postby E-Hoog » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:39 am

Well I've finished. Basically, it broke down into three parts for me: the first part was fast paced and very exciting. The plot was thin, the characters even shallower, but entertaining nonetheless. Not worthy of Smith, but still fun. Then the middle 'happy family' part was unbelievably terrible. At some parts I felt they were at three continents in just one page. Very disappointing. And I agree with the previous comment that the dialogue is unbelievable at most times. Then the last 'revenge' part was good again. I liked that part best. It was still terribly shallow and at times unbelievable, but entertaining again. And who here didn't predict the ending :wink:?

Overall I'd say it was an entertaining book. For a Smith it was probably one of his worst, but if you forget that he wrote it, I still give this a 6-ish.

With most of Smiths work you feel that it could never be made into a movie with any justice to the plot, the characters and all the sub-plots, but I think that Those in Peril is ideally suited to be made into a movie. It would be an entertaining movie without the worry that it won't do justice to non-existing plot lines and character development :wink:.

As for Wilbur, it's probably time to throw in the towel...
E-Hoog
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby dtietens » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:38 pm

About this "trowing in the towel". Hey, what is this with you people ?
I hope WS will write 33 more Courtney, Ballantyne, Egyptian or Standalone Books.
Who is with me on this ?
A die-hard WS fan.
dtietens

Currently Reading: Karin Brynard, Onse vaders

Postby rafiki » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:35 pm

A die-hard fan here too but I think it's time for Wilbur to rest on his laurels and, please, not attempt any Courtney or Ballantyne follow-ons. I think I'll begin another round of those great novels.
rafiki

PreviousNext

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books