Those in Peril - SPOILER ALERT

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

How do you rate Those in Peril?

10 - Excellent!
4%
8%
12%
8%
12%
5 - Average
15%
12%
15%
No votes
1 - Awful
15%

Total votes : 26

Re: Those in Peril - SPOILER ALERT

Postby johnrogers » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:12 pm

Die Hard Fan here as well - I am one of the very few who gave a vote of ten to Those In Peril - I admit it was generous and I scored it at ten for the entertainment value of the book.I agree with EHoogs comment that it would make a great Hollywood movie.

I still believe Wilbur will suprise us all someday and write another masterpiece,I would like to see the Courtenay,Ballantyne,Egyptian series end in the glory where it all started.If you write and publish 33 novels not every one of them can be a literary masterpiece.What Wilbur has accomplished can never be underestimated - there is not one of us who can hold a candle to his great works.

Long live Wilbur Smith - I would be happy to read another 33 of his books
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby skukuza » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:34 am

Just busy reading it at the moment, must say the Daughter is already making my teeth ache.
Cutting Biltong under the Withaak.
skukuza

Postby tedd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:13 pm

Just finished TIP and must say I enjoyed it - a good read, I'd recommend it. Cayla the spoilt brat needed a good caning to straighten her out - but then there wouldn't have been a book to write
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby tedd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:26 am

I should have added that I don't take the critics too seriously - I like to make up my own mind. However, I did not buy this book until 6-8 weeks ago - a brand new, unmarked copy, pristine in fact. And it cost me $12.50 including postage - so there may be some benefits in waiting until the rush is over
tedd
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Morwenna » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:33 am

johnrogers wrote:Die Hard Fan here as well - I am one of the very few who gave a vote of ten to Those In Peril - I admit it was generous and I scored it at ten for the entertainment value of the book.I agree with EHoogs comment that it would make a great Hollywood movie.

I still believe Wilbur will suprise us all someday and write another masterpiece,I would like to see the Courtenay,Ballantyne,Egyptian series end in the glory where it all started.If you write and publish 33 novels not every one of them can be a literary masterpiece.What Wilbur has accomplished can never be underestimated - there is not one of us who can hold a candle to his great works.

Long live Wilbur Smith - I would be happy to read another 33 of his books

All I want to add to the above is that I scored it a nine and had it been written by anyone other than The Masterstoryteller, I'd have scored it a ten.

Brilliant descriptive read. :)
Morwenna

Currently Reading: Gold Mine

Postby johnrogers » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:08 am

Hi Morwenna

Interesting score you posted.It seems you and I are of the very few who gave Those In Peril such a high rating.The book has taken a lot of slack by many Wilbur Smith diehard fans,but I found the storyline very timely for this day and age.Piracy in modern day times truly exsists in our modern day times.Looks like you and I are in luck Wilbur is writing a follow up to his new legendary character Hector Cross,and by what I have read Wilbur has sold the movie rights and in the future we will see a Those In Peril movie.One comment I would like to make is Those In Peril should be transformed from book to film and come out quite believable.I think Daniel Craig ( the current James Bond ) would be the right choice to play Hector Cross.I do not think Those In Peril was a masterpiece by Wilbur Smith equal to the Courtenay series but it was a very entertaining story.

Long Live Wilbur Smith :lol:
Learn to appreciate what you have and quit worrying about what you don't - Remember to think before you speak,people judge you by what you say about others
johnrogers
Crazy Canuck
Crazy Canuck

Currently Reading: Raven:Blood Eye giles kristian

Postby Morwenna » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:12 am

johnrogers wrote:Hi Morwenna

Interesting score you posted.It seems you and I are of the very few who gave Those In Peril such a high rating.The book has taken a lot of slack by many Wilbur Smith diehard fans,but I found the storyline very timely for this day and age.Piracy in modern day times truly exsists in our modern day times.Looks like you and I are in luck Wilbur is writing a follow up to his new legendary character Hector Cross,and by what I have read Wilbur has sold the movie rights and in the future we will see a Those In Peril movie.One comment I would like to make is Those In Peril should be transformed from book to film and come out quite believable.I think Daniel Craig ( the current James Bond ) would be the right choice to play Hector Cross.I do not think Those In Peril was a masterpiece by Wilbur Smith equal to the Courtenay series but it was a very entertaining story.

Long Live Wilbur Smith :lol:

Thank you for your reply johnrogers. :)

I agree that the subject is very topical and well away from the norm for The Masterstoryteller and I am disappointed that he is being criticised just for that. :(

Whilst I hate film adaptations of favourite books, Daniel Craig could do it justice but I don't think his latest leading lady will be attending auditions. :wink:
Morwenna

Currently Reading: Gold Mine

Previous

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books