Books that were made in to film.

Want to talk about any other Wilbur books?

Books that were made in to film.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:11 am

It would be interesting to get people's opinions on the Wilbur books that made it to the big screen.

Dark of the Sun was i believe titled 'the mercaneries', and came out in the very late '60's, set in the Congo but actually filmed in former Yugoslavia. I only remember watching about half the film but i still think it was better than the others.

Gold Mine was renamed 'Gold' and appeared in 1974, starring Roger Moore. Again i didn't watch the whole of the film but this time it was because i found it a complete turn off. The film did not seem to have any of the character qualities from the book.

Shout at the Devil came out two years after Gold and again featured Roger Moore, this time alongside Lee Marvin. Marvin played the part of a drunk and did it very well (which he is apt to do). Just as in the book there is a lot of humour in this story, in fact this is probably the funniest of all WS books. The clash of 2 men, one from the British and another from the German empire is the underlying feature of this romp.

I am not aware that there has been any others, but i may be wrong.

Postby Monsoon » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:17 am

I am the author of this topic, but i got logged out aswell! :cry:, and i can see where it needs an edit :cry:
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Nefer » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:38 pm

Don't worry about the editing, as long as we know who posted :)

As for the movies, I haven't watched any of them, as no movie-rental place has them pout
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:05 pm

I can't see where it needs editing but if you let me know what you want to change I`ll edit it for you. Either that or i can delete the post and you can repost it a yourself.
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby Monsoon » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:38 pm

No i was only humouring myself.
Well has anybody seen any of the films?
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:41 pm

Nope, 'fraid not. I`ll definately have a look to see if I can get any of them tho - after I've read the books.

Your signatures genious btw!
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby aaron » Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:11 am

The Dark of the Sun is often on TCM on Sky Digital (Ireland/UK) but it is usually on early in the morning. Have seen it didn't think much of it to be honest. Remember watching Gold years before I started reading the books can't remember much of it though.
aaron

Postby Monsoon » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:07 am

Yes they do appear on tv quite a lot, and once you know that they exist and what they are called, you tend to notice them. Same thing with most things in life.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby WSI » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:58 pm

Did'nt see any film . But when I look at the plot and the cast I'm not so unlucky ... ;-)
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Monsoon » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:46 am

I never included 'Diamond Hunters' which came out about 4 years ago, and had Jolene Blalock(enterprise) in it! How remiss of me!

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:56 am

Monsoon wrote:... had Jolene Blalock(enterprise) in it!

[b14] :mrgreen:
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:14 pm

I finally got to watch "Gold" based on everyone's favourite, Goldmine.

Must say I found it quite the laugh riot! The orange tint and constant exposure to Roger Moore's hairless chest was quite an experience!

Once I got past all that I enjoyed the movie. Well-paced, covered all the major plot-points of the book, and the characters were well represented. I did fast-forward the scenes when Rodney plus female buggered off to paradise (thank goodness for DVD technology - the whole scene jumped forward in less than 30 secs!)

The end scene where Rodney shows up to save the day was very over the top, but filmed well (considering it was made before I was born) and was pretty much what I recalled from the book.

All in all, I will say that this is one of the few times I recommend the movie over the book.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Casedata » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:22 pm

Have any of the Courtney books been made into movies? If not, does anyone know why?
Debbie
Casedata

Postby Nefer » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:57 pm

I was listening to answers given by other authors on the same topics (Terry Brooks, Diana Gabaldon & Jack Whyte) & they said it was all down to the fact that they weren't willing to sell the rights to their characters to the producers - something I gather is a stumbling bloack.

Also, WS has said he has repeadetly sold options on his novels (or whatever it's called ) but no-one ever develops a script within the time frame. Apparently Sylvester Stalone owns many of WS's book-movie rights, so maybe ask him...?! :lol:

Will also refer you to The Library (below this forum) where there are many articles, one of which I am sure will address the Courtney movie issue. Am too tired & busy to look myself :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby John R » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:34 am

I would love to see the Courtney series turned into the big screen. Doesn't matter if it be Hal's gang, or Sean's line. I would have thought Rage would have been made into a film and that it would have won an oscar, giving the content of the book.

Stalone would be good for some of Wilbur's stand alone books (such as Dark of The Sun) he is Rambo after all!! But not so sure bout Stalone being a Courtney.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Postby Monsoon » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:06 pm

Stalone would be good for some of Wilbur's stand alone books (such as Dark of The Sun) he is Rambo after all!! But not so sure bout Stalone being a Courtney.

Funny you should say because he does have the film rights to some of Wilbur's books, Eye of the Tiger in particular.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Postby Twoscoops » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:26 am

Monsoon wrote:[Funny you should say because he does have the film rights to some of Wilbur's books, Eye of the Tiger in particular.

Any idea which others he holds the rights to?

Also, did he purchace the rights to Eye of the Tiger before he made Rocky? (Duh, duh duh duh, duh duh duhhhhh!!)
Twoscoops

Postby John R » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:12 am

[b7] but isn't he making a Rocky 6?? Can't see it working now cos he must be in his 60's maybe even close to 70 years old.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

GOLD:- Great Book , but the film sucked

Postby mahound » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:00 pm

Nefer wrote:I finally got to watch "Gold" based on everyone's favourite, Goldmine.

Must say I found it quite the laugh riot! The orange tint and constant exposure to Roger Moore's hairless chest was quite an experience!

Once I got past all that I enjoyed the movie. Well-paced, covered all the major plot-points of the book, and the characters were well represented. I did fast-forward the scenes when Rodney plus female buggered off to paradise (thank goodness for DVD technology - the whole scene jumped forward in less than 30 secs!)

The end scene where Rodney shows up to save the day was very over the top, but filmed well (considering it was made before I was born) and was pretty much what I recalled from the book.

All in all, I will say that this is one of the few times I recommend the movie over the book.

You have to wonder how much and who Roger Moore paid to star in the film Gold. I mean the character was in his early 30's and Roger must have been at least 50 when this was made.

It was the same with Shout at the Devil, Sebastian had only just left college and they get an old man to play him, give me strength
It was a great book and could have been a great film.

The other thingwas, in the book Sebastian died, in the film he lived, to me they should have killed the character off as well as Roger Moore and the Director, as for Lee Marvin, he was Ok but all he did was play himself
mahound

Return to Standalone Wilbur Smith books