"Downton Abbey"

"Downton Abbey"

Postby annagram » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:17 am

Ha anybody been watching "Downton Abbey"? I just discovered it on Netflix and finished watching season one. It has great characters, dialog and plot and the scenery is gorgeous as well as the interior scenes. The women have such elegant clothes.
annagram

Currently Reading: The winner by David baldacci

Re: "Downton Abbey"

Postby Matbow » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:18 pm

Yes, I have recently started watching this too! It's pretty much a 'soap' disguised as a period costume drama, but fun none the less!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby annagram » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:58 am

Definitely a soap opera but the characters, plot and dialog are better than the average soap.
annagram

Postby bayside » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:32 pm

Our local library offers a 3-disc set encompassing the entire season of this wonderful British series. My wife picked it up and I reluctantly watched it (reluctant at first, I might add). What memorable characters, all the way from the wealthiest down to the most lowly servant. We are both looking forward to it beind produced here in the U.S. However, I sincerely doubt we have the ability to capture English humor. More will be revealed.
bayside

Currently Reading: Selects works of Graham Greene

Postby Matbow » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:26 pm

bayside wrote:We are both looking forward to it beind produced here in the U.S. However, I sincerely doubt we have the ability to capture English humor. More will be revealed.

What do you mean produced in the US? Is it being remade over here?
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby annagram » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 am

Certainly hope they don't try to remake it - it is just fine as it is. I didn't think my husband would like it, but he overheard me telling someone about it and said he would like to watch it so I reran the first couple of episodes and we watched all of them together.
annagram

Postby annagram » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:57 am

We got season 2 from Netflix on DVD and will be waiting for season 3
annagram

Postby Nefer » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:20 pm

I adore Downton Abbey!

Watched it all out of order, so I watched S2 first, now I'm on S1; and waiting for PBS to broadcast S3 here in Canada.
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby annagram » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm

It won't be long now - our local PBS station is rerunning Season 2.
annagram

Postby Nefer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:39 pm

I couldn't wait for January, I've been watching it online here:

http://watchseries.li/serie/downton_abbey

You won't be disappointed :D
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby annagram » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:19 am

I will check it out!! thanks
annagram

Postby annagram » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:32 am

This is a spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched the last episode of Season 3

I was disappointed in the ending. It seemed like it was just kind of tacked on at the end because of Dan Stevens leaving the show. This is, after all, a soap opera and in the soaps when an actor leaves they simply hire another to take his/her place. I was also disappointed in the way Sybil was treated. She was the nicest of the three girls. It will be next year before we get another dose.
annagram

Postby Nefer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:26 pm

I KNOW.

Why is it a good idea to kill off two major characters!? I guess they didn't have much choice, Sybil's filming a movie with Colin Farrell and Matthew has some broadway thing? I agree with you Annagram just get someone else to fill the role!

Did you like the season overall? What did you think about Edith and her story arc? I will LOVE it if she decides to have a raging affair with the editor guy!
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby annagram » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am

This is a spoiler if you haven't watched Season 3

Both my husband ( I still can't get over this) really like the show. My son in law likes it too so it must be good!

I remember some years ago there was a TV show on called "Northern Exposure". It was a big hit and the star (can't remember his name) decided he wanted a big salary boost after a couple of seasons. They wouldn't give it to him and the show limped along for another season but the new character never caught on. And the nameless actor appeared in one movie that I know of, the one about the quiz show scandal and I have never heard of him since. This may happen to Dan Stevens. He is currently playing in "The Heiress" on Broadway. He doesn't appear to me to be a heart throb but what do I know??? I know that the girl playing Sybil is making a movie and I suppose that is why she left or did they just kill her off to make Tom eligible for a new romance??? TV shows often accomodate actors when they take roles in movies and are absent from some episodes.

The characters are great even the ones you don't like. I was hoping that maybe Matthew being a lawyer might have had a solution to the editor's (can't remember his name) dilemma. I am positive that Edith is going to forge ahead and have an affair with him. I imagine that she is thinking, why not I am not getting any younger as granny has told me :D

I am wondering if Rose will be the love interest for Tom. I really like Tom. I think he is my favorite character on the show. But in true soap operadom will he ever find true and lasting happiness? Mary;s role will be interesting too. I haven't heard whether Maggie Smith has signed up for another season but I hope so - she is great!

Isobel turned the doctor down rather speedily - she didn't even give him a chance and Mrs. Patmore turned down her love interest as well. I am waiting for Mr. Mason to die so Daisy can inherit and to see what happens there.

We have a year to wait but the years seem to pass quicker and quicker..................
annagram

Postby Matbow » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:22 pm

It's got progressively worse since the first season and it's to the point where I probably won't be watching it anymore. This whole season had so many predictable points, even without knowing the spoilers of which actors weren't coming back next year.

Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Nefer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 am

I really really really like Branson and he'd better not end up with the pushy maid.

Also I gorged on all 6 ep's in a few nights - not having to wait a week for each ep. makes a huge difference in how much I enjoy a show. And I still enjoy DA to the point where I'll give the next season a chance.

I also read an article about a season based in NY, perhaps a prequel about Cora? That would be a welcome change :)
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby annagram » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:24 am

I have heard about the prequel too. Sounds interesting. Would be fun to see how Cora and the earl meet and marry.

The maid Edna got her walking papers so unless Tom chases after her she will not be in his life Did they have a Christmas show in 2012?
annagram

Postby Nefer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:14 pm

You never know with soapies they could bring her back...
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby annagram » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:34 pm

My daughter used to watch dark shadows. They brought back people from the dead so maybe there is hope for Matthew and Sybil Lol
annagram

Postby annagram » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:59 am

Last season of downton coming up. Have been disappointed in the last couple of seasons so am hoping for a better one
annagram

Return to Film & TV