Movie Reviews!!!

Movie Reviews!!!

Postby Bee » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:03 pm

Okay so I'm making a little forum on movie reviews... so review the latest movies you've seen in here! (Oh and readers be for warned there may be movie spoilers)

Last movie I saw was Elizabethtown and to tell you the truth it's a stay at home when it's raining and rent it from your local videostore. Plus it's a tad too long. It's an okay movie. :)
Bee
Founder Member

Postby John R » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:32 am

One of the last films i can remember seeing is 'War of the Worlds' with Tom Cruise. Thoroughly enjoyed the film for about an hour and a half, and then the ending just spoilted it. I know its a remake of an old film but i never did see that. Still the way it happends just comes so suddenly its hard to take the film seriously after that. You can pick on so many flaws with the story. The main ones i found were that if the aliens are so much more intelligent than us, why did they wait until the year 2000 to invade us when, being buried under the ground, they could have wiped us out in say, 100AD, long before we polluted the earth and used up all the raw materials, or before we developed nuclear weapons etc. And also (if you've not seen the film then don't read the next part!) they seem to die from a reaction with our air, or atmospheare? Well you'd have thought they'd have done their homework/research before trying to invade us wouldn't you? Obviously not, ...these were clearly stupid aliens. I would have liked it more if they had killed us all, but that was all down to H.G.Wells. I like things to be realistic and believable in the most part,
I've not read the book, so if i've got it all wrong, someone please tell me. Overall i'd give it a 6 out of 10. Would have been an 8 if not for the ending.
John R
Founder Member

Currently Reading: A Time To Die

Harry Potter

Postby Bee » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:30 am

Okay, so I saw the HP: Goblet of Fire, actually got back from it like 3 hours ago. And it was an okay movie. If you've read the books you can really appreciate it. Stayed pretty much true to them. I would probably give it 3.75 stars out of 5. Reason being you don't really get much input from other characters and it's too Harry focused. Plus the third part of the triwizard tournament scene left me disappointed, I expected too much I guess.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Betty » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:45 am

There is one film I saw that made me want to read the book; 'The Bone Collector' with Denzel Washington. Now I'm hooked on Jeffrey Deaver.
Betty

Postby John R » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:10 am

I've seen that film! Was very good but didn't make me want to read the book. Is Deaver any good then? Because my father has a couple of his books lying around the house. Might be worth a read.
John R
Founder Member

Postby Betty » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:28 am

Most of them are. Like most authors he has some so-so ones.
Betty

Postby John R » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:16 pm

Is there one that you would say is particularly good? Someone to start with?
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:32 pm

First book i noticed in my library today was 12th Card by Jeffrey Deaver, and i had never heard of him before. Any good Betty?
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby Betty » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:46 pm

I haven't read that one, Bea. My favourites are the Lincoln Rhymes - 'The Bone Collector' being one. 'The Blue Nowhere' is one I have recently read which made me think a bit.
Betty

Postby John R » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:07 pm

Has anyone seen either the Narnia (Lion, witch....) or the new King Kong films yet? Not sure if i should bother going to the cinema to watch them, or just wait until they come out on video??

:?:
John R
Founder Member

Postby WSI » Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:58 am

I saw Narnia in this week. In my opinion it's not worth to see this film, lost time.
It's a poor copy of Lord of the Ring for kids. Without the tricks and animations it would be very boring because the characters/actors are wooden and common. Only Tilda Swanson as Witch is convincing (and the beavers are rather nice :wink: )
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:14 am

Right...sounds quite poor then. Perhaps i better not bother. Anyone seen King Kong?
John R
Founder Member

Postby Bee » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:16 pm

I'm not seeing Kong, but I know Neferk wants to. But I'm going to see Memoirs of a Geisha on opening day and I'm looking forward to it.
Bee
Founder Member

Postby Nefer » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:43 pm

why don't you watch Narnia anyway, John? If you're a fan of the books, you might end up enjoying it after all :)

Yep, am hoping to catch Kong this week! :D Can't wait for it!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby WSI » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:10 pm

neferk wrote:why don't you watch Narnia anyway, John? If you're a fan of the books, you might end up enjoying it after all :)

sorry, don't think so. I had a short glance in the books - in my opinion they are much better than this film. But, anyway, everybody may make his own impression
WSI
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby John R » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:20 pm

neferk wrote:why don't you watch Narnia anyway, John? If you're a fan of the books, you might end up enjoying it after all :)

Yep, am hoping to catch Kong this week! :D Can't wait for it!

I'm still undecided about Narnia. I've not read the books but I was a fan of 'The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe' when I was small. Have good memories of that. On the other hand i've heard many poor reviews. So i'm not sure.

Once you've seen 'Kong, Neferk, let us know what you think of it, i'm probably going to go watch it myself some-time over xmas.

Cheers
John R
Founder Member

Postby Monsoon » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:44 pm

I don't think i could bring myself to go and watch 'Kong' at the pictures, knowing most of what is going to happen sort of takes the adventure of it all away for me. My biggest surprise was on how much weight Peter Jackson has lost in the last few years!
While a tiger eyed its prey and an eagle raged in a thunderous sky a river of darkness fell upon a burning sun and the wolf cried tis a time to die, thus did the angels weep as power and triumph in those golden eyes did creep.

Monsoon
Founder Member

Currently Reading: Tower Lord

Postby John R » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:45 pm

Really? So he aint a fat git anymore then? I think he has done extremely well for himself. I don't really like Lord of The Rings and yet i've seen all 3 films. I think Kong will be worse than the original. I could be proved wrong once i see it though :?
John R
Founder Member

Postby Matbow » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:59 pm

I've just come back from the flicks, I saw Kong. It's good, but way too long - 3 hours (plus ads and trailers).

I've never seen the original, so I can't compare it too that but it was worth going to see if you can sit still long enough!
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby John R » Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:59 pm

3 Hours?? :shock:

a bit long me thinks.
John R
Founder Member

Next

Return to Film & TV