Wilbur Smith Book Signing!

Discussion about Wilbur Smith's Egyptian series.

Wilbur Smith Book Signing!

Postby Nefer » Sat May 26, 2007 7:46 pm

The signing was today, and I must say, best book event I've been to in a while!

It was hosted by Black Bond Books, and snaps for them for being good to their customers! I had to buy my books from them if I wanted to go to the event, which I did - but White Rock is a little far from my place, so I asked them if I could pick up my tickets and book at the event. Not only did the manager of the store call me at home to confirm that she was bringing the tickets to the even, I also got a free tote from Black Bond Books! Snaps to them for caring about their customers (some of who traveled 1 & 1/2 hours in the bus to get there!) =D>

Speaking of travelling, apparently some people were there from California! I hope they got a free tote :mrgreen:

Anyway, Wilbur Smith is a very charming man. There were about 120-140 people at the event (which was sold out) and he managed to connect with them all when he spoke. He told a few stories for about 1/2 hour, and took questions from the audience for another half. The questions were generic - will you write a sequel, what inspires you,etc.

I asked about River God (duh) - specifically, I wanted to know which characters were based in fact and which were fiction. He liked that one! We recorded the answer to that, and I'll put up the video as soon as I figure out why Google won't let me upload it! In a nutshell, the epilogue, to quote the Man, was "pork pie" - a set up for "The Seventh Scroll". The characters were derived from historical ones, but are in essence, fictional. Too sad :lol:

I got a few of my books signed (there was a guy there with his backpack, I think he was going to wait till everyone else got their Quest signed before he got his library in :)) Meeting Mr Smith was simply amazing, and beyond words. I didn't babble (THANK GOD) but I don't really recall what I said to him! He did think my IRL name very pretty and wants to use it in his next book :) I told him I would be honoured!! To be fair he liked my sister's name too! We're from what was Rhodesia, as he is, and he was very happy to hear it!

I also mentioned I was a moderator here, and dropped Matt's name as well ;) Never hurts to bring this place up!

All in all, a super super thrilling day - nothing better than meeting your role model.

If anyone else was there please post your thoughts too!

Here's a link to the pictures we took - dunno what happened to the camera, most of the pics came out fuzzy :(

ETA The video of Wilbur Smith answering the question is now up!
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Postby Matbow » Sun May 27, 2007 6:00 am

Awesome. Looking forward to reading your review and thoughts on the Quest!
“Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.”

Forum Rules|Wilbur Smith FAQ|
Matbow
Webmaster
Webmaster

Currently Reading: Desert God

Postby i_heart_nefie » Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 am

That is so exciting!!!
"I would very much like to come hunting with you please...." - Little Mem
i_heart_nefie
Little Miss Vixen
Little Miss Vixen

Location: On board the 'Sprite' with the Courtneys, or QLD, AUS
Currently Reading: The Sunbird

Postby Penitent » Wed May 30, 2007 8:10 am

As they used to say… “Some girls get all the luck!”
The Penitent
Penitent
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby Ems » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:11 pm

I'm happy to say I was also lucky enough to meet him as well. He was at a book signing here in England in my local area in April. I was so impressed with him, he was so friendly and had a discussion with me about my degree which I'm taking (Egyptology and Ancient History). He even impressed my Grandmother which is extremly difficult to do. :)
Ems

Postby Nefer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:07 pm

Yeah he's really charming, isn't he? insert smiley with hearts here :mrgreen: I'm glad you had a nice time (and that your Grandmother approves!)
"If I ever ask anything of you it would be to please consider life with an open mind and respect the opinions and wishes of others as long as they bring no harm to you and as long as you bring no harm or corruption to others."
~ Jason Mraz
Nefer
Geek in the Pink
Geek in the Pink

Return to The Egyptians